PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: Mythic Multi-Phased Bosses

Ekzanimus
2021-03-07, 05:11 PM
Hello there, fellow players! Can you kindly share any sources with multi-phased bosses made with Mythic system from Theros? Something akin to Auril from Rime of the Frostmaiden.

Whaleman
2021-03-08, 08:05 AM
Sure. I was recently running Odyssey of the Dragonlords and had several players storylines connected to the fates. The normal encounter featured a hag coven with two green hags and one night hag (with all her goodies). I wanted to really sell to them that they were fighting a truly fearsome foe so I modified it. To start with I used the baseline fight. The coven and their underlings (1 medusa, 1 lamia and 1 woe strider (I added the woe strider). The coven had a lair action which gave allowed them to cast banishment without using a spell slot (the night hag had to concentrate on it). The initial fight had the party trying to focus down the hags (I made it clear that each had down would also take an add with it since the adds were souls the hags had bound).

Once all the hags were dead I had 1 round pass as the players gathered themselves. The hags bodies combined for phase 2 where I used a leveled down Arasta from Theros. I then modified her spider summon lair action to instead be simply summon 3 giant spiders every round unless she wanted to use the other one. I was also playing her intelligently for this phase where she tried to focus down or pin down the casters. When she hit zero I triggered her Mythic trait (again numbers toned down due to the party being lower level for her). In this form I had her essentially go mindless and just attack whatever was closest.

Overall the party thought it was an amazing fight. It pushed them to the brink even going in fully prepped for the fight. The constant spider webs added to the terrain and the constant spiders kept her from being too focused on. Finally a neat benefit was that the fight while very hard was not built to be a wipe as many of the attacks being made instead put people in a poison coma.

Ekzanimus
2021-03-08, 06:06 PM
Thank you very much! You gave me food for thought. :)

Unoriginal
2021-03-08, 06:46 PM
Reading this thread, I had an idea for a Cyclops sequential boss fight based on the Monk of Four Elements.

I'm not sure how many phase would be good, but I feel like four-ish phase could be good.

Assuming this is a test and not a fight to the death:

Phase 1: Cyclops fights with martial arts until they realizes the PCs are actually serious challengers.

Phase 2: Cyclops uses Eternal Mountain Defense, their ki mastery allowing them to apply Stoneskin on themselves, fight like that until with the rest of their HPs goes to 0.

Phase 3: Cyclops get 75% of their HPs and 100% of their ki back and now unleashes both Water Whip and Fangs of the Fire Snake on the PCs.

Phase 4: Cyclops get 50% of their HPs and 100% of their ki back, meditates, and use Mist Stance (Gaseous Form on themselves). More or less invulnerable in this form, they then attack the PCs using Fist of the Unbroken Air until they run out of ki.