PDA

View Full Version : Improvised Weapons and Weight

NoHotDogBuns
2021-03-08, 02:53 AM
I have the immense displeasure of trying to kill a dragon in an dead magic zone. Rather than waltz my munchkin sized main with a medication side effects sized list of buffs and permanencies, I thought it would be wise to roll up a Half minotaur something warhurler cohort (name him Cain) and have him go bean the dragon with an especially heavy rock. Still this dragon has a Ac of over 40 and is out of the regular to hit range of my new concerningly brawny Ecl 16 friend. The simplest solution that comes to mind is the Emerald Razor maneuver which allows me to target the dragons abysmal touch ac with a melee attack. Problem is I don't know how heavy of a melee weapon I can wield as it isn't spelled out like the hulking hurlers throw anything ability. Ideally I'd like to use the heaviest rock possible as the difference between downing an epic dragon in one round or more than one round is pretty big.

Any clarification or alternative solutions are appreciated. Don't be to worried about cheese, the games pretty fragrant and anything short of sending in ice assassins or gating up a private military should be a o.k.

NoHotDogBuns
2021-03-08, 08:26 PM
Tl;Dr how heavy of an improvised melee weapon can you wield effectively, regardless of size

2021-03-08, 09:18 PM
I have the immense displeasure of trying to kill a dragon in an dead magic zone. Rather than waltz my munchkin sized main with a medication side effects sized list of buffs and permanencies, I thought it would be wise to roll up a Half minotaur something warhurler cohort (name him Cain) and have him go bean the dragon with an especially heavy rock. Still this dragon has a Ac of over 40 and is out of the regular to hit range of my new concerningly brawny Ecl 16 friend. The simplest solution that comes to mind is the Emerald Razor maneuver which allows me to target the dragons abysmal touch ac with a melee attack. Problem is I don't know how heavy of a melee weapon I can wield as it isn't spelled out like the hulking hurlers throw anything ability. Ideally I'd like to use the heaviest rock possible as the difference between downing an epic dragon in one round or more than one round is pretty big.

Any clarification or alternative solutions are appreciated. Don't be to worried about cheese, the games pretty fragrant and anything short of sending in ice assassins or gating up a private military should be a o.k.

Bolded for emphasis. The "Hulking Hurler" ability references a particular table in the back of the book, which determines the damage of improvised weapons wielded (which is based on weight and spikyness), and just how heavy of an improvised weapon you can wield (which is based on size).

For a Medium creature, you can wield an object up to 2 lbs as a light weapon, from 2-10 lbs as a one-handed weapon, and from 11-50 lbs as a two-handed weapon. For every size above Medium you are, these limits are doubled. Carrying Capacity does not affect these limits unless you are a Hulking Hurler.

An object weighing less than 2 lbs deals 1d3 damage. 2-5 lbs deals 1d4 damage. 6-10 lbs deals 1d6 damage. 11-25 lbs deals 1d8 damage. 26-50 lbs deals 2d6 damage. 51-100 lbs deals 3d6 damage. 101-200 lbs deals 4d6 damage. 201-400 lbs deals 5d6 damage. Every 200 lbs thereafter adds an additional +1d6 (so 1000 lbs deals 8d6, 2000 lbs deals 13d6, and so on). This damage is bludgeoning, typically. A particularly soft object deals damage as if it weighed half as much, while a particularly soft object deals damage as if it weighed twice as much. Neither of these effective changes in weight changes its actual weight, so it doesn't change how much you can wield based on your size limits.

"But wait, if I'm Medium, that means the best I can do is a 100 lb boulder dealing 3d6, even if have Str 9001?" Them's the rules. Maybe if you're lucky, the DM will agree that that's stupid and change them to take carrying capacity into account...although fair warning, if the DM alters the rules, they'll probably also change it so that instead of "+1d6 per +200 lbs past 400 lbs", it's "+1d6 per doubling past 400 lbs", so you get far less ridiculous damage totals at the higher ends, while still letting more normal characters play around with some slightly impractical weapons.