PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Wild Magic Barbaria/wild magic sorcerer

adb82
2021-03-08, 04:14 AM
Im trying to make this multiclass for fun, for play the more wild magic possible.

There are no big sinergies between those classes, i just would like to know if this is viable somehow and how...probably 1 lv of sorcerer can be already ok for the wild magic, but which spell he can choose? Seem nothing can be unseful...maybe false life but but nothing much.

How you would build it?

There is some way i miss (feats, races etc) about more wild magic power?

Vulryn
2021-03-08, 04:32 AM
Wouldn‘t recommend it. Raging will disable the usage of magic, thus discourage you from using most of the things any levels in sorcerer would grant you. While raging, you cannot cast spells or concentrate. You could only precast things with a long duration (like armor of agathys or gift of alacricity). Stick to either one of you like the random effects.

adb82
2021-03-08, 04:58 AM
Wouldn‘t recommend it. Raging will disable the usage of magic, thus discourage you from using most of the things any levels in sorcerer would grant you. While raging, you cannot cast spells or concentrate. You could only precast things with a long duration (like armor of agathys or gift of alacricity). Stick to either one of you like the random effects.

Yea, i know he cant use magic while rage, the point is that there arent neither buffs that can be precasted lol. Armor Of agathys its pretty useless casted at 1st lv and isnt on the sorcerer spell list for what i remember, shield as absorb elements are totally useless...maybe i should get some rituals and out of combat utilities and thats all...just 1 lv dip shouldnt hurt too much and all i want is the wild magic features at 1st lv.

Thunderous Mojo
2021-03-09, 12:06 AM
Hmmm.....a Firbolg Barbarian/Sorcerer strikes my fancy.
The Firbolg spells of Disguise Self and Detect Magic recharge after a Short Rest, and Disguise Self does not require Concentration.

The Firbolg Invisibility power, while magical, is not a spell, and thus can be used during a Rage.

Between Magic Awareness and Detect Magic, this character can fill the role of the party scout...a scout that can see magic.

One only needs to have a 13 Cha, and I would at least take 3 levels of Sorcerer.

Mage Armor, Jump, False Life, and Comprehend Languages are all 1st level spells that last a minute or more and do not require Concentration and thus would persist while Raging.

2nd level spells that persist during a Rage include: Mirror Image, Darkvision, and See Invisibility. Sprinkle in some Magic Missile, if you decide to take more than 3 levels of Sorcerer. The 6th level Wild Mage subclass power also works during a Rage.

My Metamagic selections would be Twin and Extended spell. Both Metamagic selections improve your spell slot efficiency. Either a Twined Darkvision or an Extended Darkvision can be a nice tactical tool to have at your disposal.

Sherlockpwns
2021-03-09, 02:51 AM
I guess the real question is what split do you want? Seems to me Barb 5 is going to be needed either way, and wild barb level 6 is so amazing that you may as well get it.

After that you could swap to sorcerer for 14.

My reasoning is without multi attack, raging would probably make you less effective.

I believe there are plenty of times where you’ll be out of rages and slinging spells, but mostly I’d stick to utility spells, non concentration spells, or spells you may use when surprised and not yet raging.

So some key spells that come to mind that will be useful even at level 7-20:

Absorb elements, Knock, see invisible/dark vision, mirror image, catnap (if your party has a lot of short rest abilities), counterspell / dispel magic, dimension door, etc.

You can of course toss in an aoe spell or two for when the time is right. Fireball as you charge in is never a bad choice ;)

Obviously you’ll never get munchkin status with this mix, but between being able to grant extra spell slots and catnap, you could be a warlocks best friend :D

Rfkannen
2021-03-10, 12:29 AM
Could be fun! I think I would personally mostly take out of combat spells for the sorcerer. Just a level or two will bring a lot of utlity a barbarian normally doesn't have.

I know there is one of these in the new adventure zone arc, might be worth checking out! (I really need to catch up on that, haven't listened in over a year lol)

PattThe
2021-03-18, 01:43 AM
Amazing, was just complaining that I can't find people talking about this combo.

Here's me.
Tayliern Riftsoul, Triton Barbarian Sorcerer.
lvl 1 barbarian
lvl 1 sorcerer
lvl 2 barbarian

Triton innate spells don't refer to a DC or a spell attack bonus much at all, and I picked False Life and Magic Missile. Shape Water, Dancing Lights, Ray of Frost, Booming Blade.

Stats: 16 15 15 8 8 13. Minimum Charisma was my whole concept, while maximizing Wild Magic Surges for advantage on attack rolls by getting as many Tides of Chaos triggers as possible each day.

Once I get to my barbarian rages, I'm just going to be going nuts. Total level 5 doesn't have Extra Attack, but it has Booming Blade online and it has three extra spell slots for Tides of Chaos automatic surges (DM approved, as the Triton spells are sorcerer spells and uses charisma).

I'm struggling rn with asi's. I was originally going to multiclass into warlock for more cha13 shenanigans. Now I'm thinking of sticking with 19 levels of barbarian for maximized ASI's.

Feats I'm interested in:
Shield Master
Resilient for Dex
Crusher maybe?
Fey Touched for Misty Step, 14 charisma, and some relevant spell.

I'm struggling on whether or not I'm going to be safe not getting an 18 or a 20 strength. It would be fun to have Evasion, Danger Sense, Proficiency in dex saves, a shield bonus to dex saves, and a wild Unarmored Defense with potentially magic shield.

Point is, I think the way I did it is the best way for stats. Going two levels in sorcerer starts to drag into your HP and you get spells *really* slowly. I say just grab a race with tons of spells and ask your DM to allow them as Sorcerer Spells for surge. I picked triton because it was the only race to have three first level spells, not cantrips.

Spam tides of chaos. ^-^