PDA

View Full Version : Portent/Cutting words

adb82
2021-03-08, 07:17 PM
Wizard and Bard is a multiclass that i'd really like to try, and i think portent and cutting words can work well together, so what i would like to build is lore bard with couple dip in diviner wizard.

i came out with something like this

Str 8
Dex 12
Cos 14 (+1 Vhuman)
Int 13
Wis 12
Cha 16 (+1 Vhuman)

Do you think there are better options for the stats?

asi's would be +2 cha at lv 1 (Vhuman), telekinetic (+1 cha) at lv 6, and shadow touched at lv 10 (+1 cha), alert or war caster at lv 14 if it get till there

Starting at lv 5 with 2 lv wizard deviner/x lore bard he already have both portent and cutting words.

Spells from bard would be charm person, command, cure wounds, dissonant whisperers, bane, heat metal, calm emotions and suggestion
From wizard just find familiar, shield and absorb elements + rituals

At lv 6 bard ill choose counterspell for the magical secrets, but what other spell do you think i should pick?

How do you think this can work? I suppose it can be a good debuffer, but do you have some particular strategy and/or spells you think can be good for this character?

Seekergeek
2021-03-08, 07:22 PM
Well you’ll need to beef up your int to 13 for the multiclass, unfortunately. Beyond that I’d say the combo will work reasonably well but probably not better than portent and lucky.

Tanarii
2021-03-08, 07:24 PM
IIRC they don't work together. Portent replaces a roll entirely, and cutting words modifies the roll (if it happens).

adb82
2021-03-08, 07:24 PM
Well you’ll need to beef up your int to 13 for the multiclass, unfortunately. Beyond that I’d say the combo will work reasonably well but probably not better than portent and lucky.

Yea you are right, my bad, but well shouldnt be a huge problem fix int to 13 (i edited it with the one solution i found) and lucky on this table is kinda banned, but anyway adding also lucky to portent and cutting words make it just more interesting. :P

adb82
2021-03-08, 07:29 PM
IIRC they don't work together. Portent replaces a roll entirely, and cutting words modifies the roll (if it happens).

I dont want they work together, actually the idea is about a character with big mental powers , portent is just 2 additional debuffs or buffs when he want autosucced or make autofail anything (suggestion, modify memory or things like this), actually this character shoulded be a wizard diviner but this party really need some healing so im trying to adjust it a bit for the situation...

adb82
2021-03-09, 07:09 AM
Im thinking to pick magic initiate as first feat as human for bless once a day and guidance...

than get + telekinetic at lv 6, and fey touched at lv 10

Bane is a spell i forget ot put before, but im gonna edit the first post because its really good.

Kurt Kurageous
2021-03-09, 04:21 PM
Charm spell + portent is almost broken. I loved my diviner wizard's ability to end a fight before it started. And that began as soon as I could cast suggestion. Making a foe run/fly/move away from a fight (for 8 hours?!?) would probably exhaust them, then they'd have to run back (again risking exhaustion).

It was better than banish. And knowing with portent what the outcome would be generally made it a lock. I liked low portent rolls more than high ones for this reason.