PDA

View Full Version : Dweomerkeeper Build Questions

Delta_tea
2021-03-09, 02:15 AM
I'm going to attempt to beg my DM for this class. But before I do, I need to make sure my answers sound reasonable.

Question 1
If Magic Training feat counts towards meeting the “Ability to cast arcane … spells”, then wouldn't an Aasimar's light spell also check the box since it is cast as a Sorcerer?

Forgotten Realms Campaign Settings, pg 19
Light (Sp): Aasimar can use light once per day as cast by a sorcerer of their character level.

Would be great if it did, since that would save a feat!

Question 2
I didn't know Dweomerkeeper was a thing until recently so my character is already on an adventure. To take a level I'd need to use Substitute Domain spell to trade and get Magic Domain. What happens if I get dispelled? I assume if it was successful then Substitute Domain goes away and the domains reset to what they were. But do I loose divine spell caster levels until I can recast Substitute Domain? What if I took a level in something else along the way? The last class level may not care if Magic Domain was a thing. I read something about pre-reqs only count when advancing that class. For example:

1-5 Cleric
6-10 DWK
11 Contemplate

Thanks again!

Biggus
2021-03-09, 07:46 AM
1) I'm pretty sure it doesn't, because what the Aasimar gets is a spell-like ability (Sp) rather than an actual spell.

Delta_tea
2021-03-09, 10:53 AM
1) I'm pretty sure it doesn't, because what the Aasimar gets is a spell-like ability (Sp) rather than an actual spell.

Darn. Ok so the work around is Spell domain for Anyspell until a feat slot is available again at level 9. Its clunky since I'll need to burn a 3rd level spell just to have an arcane spell available to cast.

Anyone know about the 2nd question?

Delta_tea
2021-03-09, 11:24 AM
Had another crazy thought. Wouldn't the Dragonlance Dragonspawn template also work for arcane spells? It grants a level of sorcerer. I'd owe 1-LA but it will eventually get paid off.

Anthrowhale
2021-03-09, 08:19 PM
The state of prerequisites for prestige classes is highly DM-dependent in practice. Some prestige classes (Dragon Disciple) have features which invalidate their prerequisites. Some source books (i.e. Complete Warrior) directly state that requirements should be always-satisfied. However, there is no uniform rule.

The meaning of spellcasting requirements is discussed in Complete Arcane (page 72).

Silent Alarm
2021-03-09, 08:51 PM
The meaning of spellcasting requirements is discussed in Complete Arcane (page 72).

Characters or creatures that use spell-like abilities or invocations never learn the arcane circumlocutions of logic and mental training necessary for advanced spellcasting. As such, requirements for feats and prestige classes based on specific levels of spells cast (“Able to cast 3rd-level arcane spells,” for example) cannot be met by spell-like abilities or invocations—not even spell-like abilities or invocations that allow a character to use a specific arcane spell of the appropriate level or higher.

Quoted the section Anthrowhale is referencing. It is clear as crystal that you cannot qualify for anything using spell-like abilities (unless directly contradicted by it; such as with Mindbender).

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2021-03-09, 09:08 PM
PH2 Chapter 8 has rules on retraining things your character picked at earlier levels, including feats, domains, skills, etc.

You can take the Spell domain, and Anyspell allows you to prepare an arcane spell and cast it "just as though cast by a wizard" and thus as an arcane spell.