PDA

View Full Version : Awaken Construct?

Tyger
2007-11-09, 11:10 AM
OK, the Awaken Construct spell from the SpC specifies that it will bring to life (i.e. sentience) a roughly humanoid shaped construct, but that it doesn't work on constructs which are only animated temporarily (i.e. no Awakening a Animated Object construct)... so what does that leave?

It doesn't work on Golems (magic immunity), Warforged are already awakened, Animated Objects are out... what's left really?

InkEyes
2007-11-09, 11:29 AM
If Golems are excluded then the only creature in core it would work on is a Shield Guardian. There are plenty of other constructs outside of core, though.

Lochar
2007-11-09, 11:35 AM
How about awakening a permancied animated object?

Then dispelling the permanency. Trap a living consciousness! Bwa ha ha ha.

Bender
2007-11-09, 11:36 AM
If the one who's creating the golem casts it during the creation process, it makes sense for it to work on them too.

much like an intelligent item :smalltongue:

Tyger
2007-11-09, 11:52 AM
How about awakening a permancied animated object?

Well, the spell does specify that animated objects (via that spell) are excluded.

I think that the "at time of golem creation" is really the only answer, CORE. There may be other things outside of that though.

Any other ideas?

Irreverent Fool
2007-11-09, 12:24 PM
Well, I know it's not RAW, but I would argue that you could order your own golem to lower its spell immunity in the same way a creature can lower its spell resistance and cast this spell on it.

OzymandiasVolt
2007-11-09, 12:45 PM
Effigies, Nimblewrights, Iron Maidens, and...that's all I can think of for the human-shaped constructs category.

It seems that they forgot how few constructs are human-shaped and NOT immune to anything allowing spell resistance.

Fhaolan
2007-11-09, 01:02 PM
I think this easily falls under the 'Ooopsie' category. The writers of that spell probaly just forgot that golems are technically immune to it.

Clementx
2007-11-09, 02:32 PM
Since it specifically is for constructs, requires a fresh brain, and writers are idiots, clearly it should penetrate Magic Immunity. Or else, you have Frankenstein's favorite spell that can't be cast on a flesh golem, Frankenstein's monster.