PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Icewind Dale: does the cold make Find Familiar, Find Steed & Phantom Steed useless?

Merudo
2021-03-10, 04:09 AM
In Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden, the average temperature is -49 degrees
Fahrenheit (-45 degrees Celsius), and wind chill can lower these temperatures by as much as 80 degrees.

After every hour, a creature must succeed on a DC10 constitution saving throw or gain 1 level of exhaustion.

Humanoids can wear cold weather clothing to protect themselves, but what about the usual pets and summons?

I can imagine problems for the following

- Find Familiar (all except the Hare and Fox)
- Warlock Pact of the Chain (Pseudodragon)
- Find Steed (all except Elk)
- Phantom Steed (depends on DM - it lasts 1 hour, but vanishes if damaged)
- Beastmaster (most pets can't handle cold)
- Druid's Wildshape (most forms can't handle cold)
- Cavalier / mounted combatant (DM might allow Axe Beak as a mount)

Cheesegear
2021-03-10, 04:21 AM
There might be some leeway. But ultimately, yes. Many summonses just wont work for long periods of time.
That's why it constantly tells you that you can make friends with animals, and gives you two - two - Bags of Trickses.
Owlbear Whisperer does exactly what you think it does.

Elk and Reindeer are all over the place. And you also pointed out Axe Beaks.
Not to mention the potentially limitless amount of Awakened Beasts in the Dale you could get to be your friend.

Humanoids can wear cold weather clothing to protect themselves, but what about the usual pets and summons?

I know for a fact that you can have cold weather gear for a pet, that you can plan for and accommodate. All's you'd have to do is have Google Images and throw your mobile device at the DM.

On-the-fly summons? ...No.

Valmark
2021-03-10, 04:37 AM
Like Cheese said you can likely get protective gear for pets that can't handle cold natively- that said, is the save against Exhaustion the only consequence? If so most summons won't care. Dunno what level you are but from those options the one that lasts the longest is the Phantom Steed which, like you said, lasts an hour exactly.

Druids can just pick a cold-resistant shape (which doesn't mean resistant to cold damage).

(By summons I mean the ones that disappear after a while, the permanent ones were included in 'pets')

diplomancer
2021-03-10, 05:17 AM
Short duration summons won't care. For long duration summons and assorted pets, it should be easy enough to get cold weather gear for them.

Druids are the more troublesome ones, I'd say (though the ones that will tend to stay long in animal form, moon druids, have access to polar bears from level 6). Probably best to have some sort of pack animal carrying something for your more usual form.

JoeJ
2021-03-10, 05:41 AM
Druids are the more troublesome ones, I'd say (though the ones that will tend to stay long in animal form, moon druids, have access to polar bears from level 6). Probably best to have some sort of pack animal carrying something for your more usual form.

Beginning at 2nd level, a druid can wildshape into a wolf.

Valmark
2021-03-10, 06:08 AM
Short duration summons won't care. For long duration summons and assorted pets, it should be easy enough to get cold weather gear for them.

The geat melds into your form so you can just wear the winter clothing and you'll have it when coming out of wildshape.

Unless you meant the animal form with usual in which case JoeJ has it right, just pick the wolf form.

diplomancer
2021-03-10, 06:23 AM
The geat melds into your form so you can just wear the winter clothing and you'll have it when coming out of wildshape.

Unless you meant the animal form with usual in which case JoeJ has it right, just pick the wolf form.

Yes, I meant the usual animal form; but those temperatures are REALLY cold. Does the module say which animals are fine with it and which aren't, or is this a DM decision?

Cheesegear
2021-03-10, 06:59 AM
Yes, I meant the usual animal form; but those temperatures are REALLY cold. Does the module say which animals are fine with it and which aren't, or is this a DM decision?

All of the Icewind Dale creatures explicitly say that they are acclimated to cold weather.
However, the module doesn't add new rules to any existing creature in the MM.

For example, Mammoths feature several times in the adventure. They don't have Cold Resistance - but it's a Mammoth! Likewise, a Polar Bear isn't even immune to cold - Polar Bears! Polar. Bears. It's in the name!
So in many cases the DM will have to make a ruling. Hell, maybe the hostiles have just been passing their CON saves all day? It can happen.

Creatures with resistance or immunity to cold damage automatically succeed on the saving throw, as do creatures wearing cold weather clothing (thick coats, gloves, and the like) and creatures naturally adapted to cold climates...

Do arctic animals 'wear' thick coats? :smallamused:

Unoriginal
2021-03-10, 07:20 AM
Do arctic animals 'wear' thick coats? :smallamused:

They can, you can be both an arctic animal and fashionable, but I think the "creatures adapted to cold climate" part is more relevant for them

Cheesegear
2021-03-10, 07:31 AM
They can, you can be both an arctic animal and fashionable, but I think the "creatures adapted to cold climate" part is more relevant for them

But again;
I need to stress that all the new entries in RotFM have 'acclimated to cold weather', explicitly written in their entries.

Mammoths and Polar Bears, for example, don't have that sentence anywhere in their entries. Groups that play by RAW, will have to do something about that. Or rather, they wont do something about it, and then they'll complain when Monster's Manual hostiles don't have Disadvantage on their skill checks (specifically Insight and Perception).

Unoriginal
2021-03-10, 07:36 AM
But again;
I need to stress that all the new entries in RotFM have 'acclimated to cold weather', explicitly written in their entries.

Mammoths and Polar Bears, for example, don't have that sentence anywhere in their entries. Groups that play by RAW, will have to do something about that. Or rather, they wont do something about it, and then they'll complain when Monster's Manual hostiles don't have Disadvantage on their skill checks (specifically Insight and Perception).

Trying to argue that a Polar Bear isn't adapted for cold weather isn't playing by RAW, it's being a contrarian.

Cheesegear
2021-03-10, 07:43 AM
Trying to argue that a Polar Bear isn't adapted for cold weather isn't playing by RAW, it's being a contrarian.

In that case, we take the module at face value, and give the following 'acclimation to cold weather':

Deer
Elk
Killer Whales
Mammoths
Moose (Giant Goats)
Polar Bears
Reindeer (Elks, with a chance for special)
Saber-Toothed Tigers
(Snowy) Owls
(Woolly) Rhinoceros
Wolves

Unoriginal
2021-03-10, 07:58 AM
In that case, we take the module at face value, and give the following 'acclimation to cold weather':

Deer
Elk
Killer Whales
Mammoths
Moose (Giant Goats)
Polar Bears
Reindeer (Elks, with a chance for special)
Saber-Toothed Tigers
(Snowy) Owls
(Woolly) Rhinoceros
Wolves

Sounds pretty reasonable to me. I seem to recall there is also sleigh dogs in the module.

Cheesegear
2021-03-10, 08:28 AM
Sounds pretty reasonable to me. I seem to recall there is also sleigh dogs in the module.

Well those are all the Monster's Manual creatures (specifically, Beasts) that appear in the module. Since they're there...Makes sense.
Also, there's a Hawk. But it doesn't count since it doesn't appear in the back of the book with the others - where I got my list from. The (one) Hawk in entire module is an anomaly.

Sled Dogs are Wolves. If you DM Fiat that Wolves have acclimation to cold weather, then Sled Dogs - and Axe Beaks - would have it, too.

heavyfuel
2021-03-10, 08:39 AM
- Warlock Pact of the Chain (all except Quasit)

Chain familiars are smart. Give your Imp a tiny coat and you're set.

Unoriginal
2021-03-10, 09:22 AM
Sled Dogs are Wolves. If you DM Fiat that Wolves have acclimation to cold weather, then Sled Dogs - and Axe Beaks - would have it, too.

Thanks, I had forgotten that.

warty goblin
2021-03-10, 11:26 AM
It's worth emphasizing just how cold -40 is. Once you hit about -10F or so, working outside starts to get extremely tiring. I've run in temperatures that low, and 3 miles is about as draining as 8 or 9 at 50 degrees. I did 7 miles at about -10 this winter, and was noticeably tired still the next day. Not sore or anything, just still noticeably depleted. When you hit -40 you become extremely aware of the air, and even a light breeze is painful on exposed skin. Oddly, it's very easy to overheat your core, since you are burning energy at an extreme pace just to warm the air you're breathing - and you need a facemask if breathing at all hard so you don't freeze your throat - and if well insulated you don't radiate heat at all well. Then you sweat, and then you freeze. Even with good gear and prep, you're basically on a timer every time you leave shelter.

This isn't brrr it's chilly cold, it's frostbite on unprotected skin in minutes and god help you if you get wet cold. Things that aren't adapted or insulated for such conditions will die very fast, and anything that isn't endothermic is just full stop screwed.

PhantomSoul
2021-03-10, 12:48 PM
For familiars, you could also pop them into their pocket dimension to give them a break from existence being a threat to itself

(Paraphrase: -40 is really, really horrible)

Agreed; when you get to -40 and below you really need to plan ahead, and waiting a little bit for a bus becomes a concern. Breathing itself is horrible, and your nose and eyes are feeling it too. (I'm from an area where it's expected to happen at some point every year, and you really feel it.) The only good thing about -40 is you don't need to tell people which of the usual units you're using.

1Pirate
2021-03-10, 02:19 PM
Chain familiars are smart. Give your Imp a tiny coat and you're set.
Would Imps need it? They're resistant to cold damage.

Valmark
2021-03-10, 02:28 PM
It's worth emphasizing just how cold -40 is. Once you hit about -10F or so, working outside starts to get extremely tiring. I've run in temperatures that low, and 3 miles is about as draining as 8 or 9 at 50 degrees. I did 7 miles at about -10 this winter, and was noticeably tired still the next day. Not sore or anything, just still noticeably depleted. When you hit -40 you become extremely aware of the air, and even a light breeze is painful on exposed skin. Oddly, it's very easy to overheat your core, since you are burning energy at an extreme pace just to warm the air you're breathing - and you need a facemask if breathing at all hard so you don't freeze your throat - and if well insulated you don't radiate heat at all well. Then you sweat, and then you freeze. Even with good gear and prep, you're basically on a timer every time you leave shelter.

This isn't brrr it's chilly cold, it's frostbite on unprotected skin in minutes and god help you if you get wet cold. Things that aren't adapted or insulated for such conditions will die very fast, and anything that isn't endothermic is just full stop screwed.

For familiars, you could also pop them into their pocket dimension to give them a break from existence being a threat to itself

Agreed; when you get to -40 and below you really need to plan ahead, and waiting a little bit for a bus becomes a concern. Breathing itself is horrible, and your nose and eyes are feeling it too. (I'm from an area where it's expected to happen at some point every year, and you really feel it.) The only good thing about -40 is you don't need to tell people which of the usual units you're using.

While true, all it does in terms of rules is impose a DC 10 Con save each hour. If someone had a +9 save bonus they could stand around naked all day and not even sneeze.

Unoriginal
2021-03-10, 02:58 PM
Would Imps need it? They're resistant to cold damage.

Well it depends if being fashionable is a need for that Imp, or just a want.

While true, all it does in terms of rules is impose a DC 10 Con save each hour. If someone had a +9 save bonus they could stand around naked all day and not even sneeze.

Well it does effectively demonstrates that you don't have +9 in CON saves without being superhumanoid.

Angelalex242
2021-03-10, 03:02 PM
If you become a reindeer, you won't need a light source, at least.

It'll be a red light source, but it gives off enough light to eliminate concealment from fog.

Wizard_Lizard
2021-03-10, 03:24 PM
Pretty sure Rotfw gave a few other familiar options, like arctic fox..?

5eNeedsDarksun
2021-03-10, 10:32 PM
This thread is making me think I don't really have a clue what a "Fey creature that takes the shape of a beast" really is. For me, and I think the rest of our group, I find this to be a bit of a nebulous concept, but I'm not sure any of us would think the shape the fey takes makes any difference to whether it can endure cold or not. Judging by the thread we are in the minority.

Cheesegear
2021-03-11, 01:14 AM
Pretty sure Rotfw gave a few other familiar options, like arctic fox..?

If the Familiar has Darkvision and a Fly speed, it's a good Familiar.
You can pick Owl.

As per...What makes sense; A DM should rule that if it's native to Icewind Dale, it should be acclimated to cold. The DM shouldn't be giving every single Monster's Manual Beast disadvantage on everything and almost dying every six hours. They're going to rule that certain creatures in IWD are acclimated to cold.

Then, when the DM starts pulling out Snowy Owls in Icewind Dale, which are owls that are acclimated to the cold, you - the player - say "Why TF can't mine be like that?"

Your Familiar is now a Snowy Owl. Darkvision. Fly. Acclimated to Cold. That's all that matters.
"But I want a Familiar that turns Invisible!!1!" Too bad. RotFM is hard like that. The Extreme Cold throughout the whole module is supposed to limit your options.

However, as has been pointed out, Familiars are 'safe' from the rule, since at the 59:54 second mark, they spend the next six seconds spending their Action to leave reality, avoiding the cold. Easy.

Lvl45DM!
2021-03-11, 05:21 AM
If you become a reindeer, you won't need a light source, at least.

It'll be a red light source, but it gives off enough light to eliminate concealment from fog.

Watch out though. You'll have disadvantage on all Cha checks against other reindeer.

Droppeddead
2021-03-11, 06:04 AM
I'd say that the celestial, fiend or fey nature of at least found steeds would allow them to function in the cold. If nothing else, you can just re-summon your horse into a really hairy horse, or whatever. :P

da newt
2021-03-11, 07:38 AM
This is a fantasy world infused with magic, if we try to force realism onto it, it breaks.

There is no F-in' way that an ecology can survive the change from a climate that included 70 degree summers (a thaw and growing season) and winters where the coldest night of the year might hit -40, is changed overnight into a place where -40 is the annual average temp and the sun never rises. If this was true, all the animals that hibernate through the winter would be dead, all the animals that need plants to survive would have starved, etc. No reindeer, no elk, no deer, no rabbits, etc. Sure the polar bear and wolves would have plenty of carcasses to feed off of for a few years, but then - no food for them either.

The climate as described is similar to inland Antarctica. Look at all the animals that survive there. Only stuff that lives off the sea. Name a mammal that lives on Antarctica. Go ahead, I'll wait ...

It's completely unrealistic. Thankfully this is a fantasy world infused with magic and little concern for the laws of physics as we know them. Familiars and Phantom Steeds are magical by nature and the book says the local Elk (summoned by Find Steed) are acclimated to the cold and they are magical creatures too, so your GM can rule however they like.

Valmark
2021-03-11, 07:50 AM
Well it depends if being fashionable is a need for that Imp, or just a want.

Well it does effectively demonstrates that you don't have +9 in CON saves without being superhumanoid.

Admittedly, a commoner with 10 con and no proficiency can't still stand around for a good five hours and just sleep it off afterwards.

Clearly, D&D's humanoids are just naturally acclimated to harsher colds then us. Our winters are their warm spring days.

snowblizz
2021-03-11, 08:11 AM
There is no F-in' way that an ecology can survive the change from a climate that included 70 degree summers (a thaw and growing season) and winters where the coldest night of the year might hit -40, is changed overnight into a place where -40 is the annual average temp and the sun never rises. If this was true, all the animals that hibernate through the winter would be dead, all the animals that need plants to survive would have starved, etc.

The coldest inhabited place, in Siberia, goes from lows of over -60 C to frequent highs of + 30 C.

What you are describing here is an ecology like that of the northern parts of Siberia and effectively subarctic. And it can well provide a short and intensive growth season with long harsh winters. Where unsurprisingly animals like moose, reindeer, bears and wolves are quite at home.

Keravath
2021-03-11, 12:04 PM
This is a fantasy world infused with magic, if we try to force realism onto it, it breaks.

There is no F-in' way that an ecology can survive the change from a climate that included 70 degree summers (a thaw and growing season) and winters where the coldest night of the year might hit -40, is changed overnight into a place where -40 is the annual average temp and the sun never rises. If this was true, all the animals that hibernate through the winter would be dead, all the animals that need plants to survive would have starved, etc. No reindeer, no elk, no deer, no rabbits, etc. Sure the polar bear and wolves would have plenty of carcasses to feed off of for a few years, but then - no food for them either.

The climate as described is similar to inland Antarctica. Look at all the animals that survive there. Only stuff that lives off the sea. Name a mammal that lives on Antarctica. Go ahead, I'll wait ...

It's completely unrealistic. Thankfully this is a fantasy world infused with magic and little concern for the laws of physics as we know them. Familiars and Phantom Steeds are magical by nature and the book says the local Elk (summoned by Find Steed) are acclimated to the cold and they are magical creatures too, so your GM can rule however they like.

Just to add to this ... the module actually have open water on the lakes in the ten towns area after two years of -40F (or colder) degree weather. The lakes have to contain anti-freeze rather than water to avoid freezing OR there have to be massive thermal sources likely due to volcanism underneath the ten towns area which keeps the water warm enough that it doesn't freeze.

Keep in mind that the freezing temperature of freshwater is 32F while typical ocean saltwater is 28.4F (https://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/oceanfreeze.html)

If there are thermal sources distributed around IWD including hot springs, maybe the occasional oasis then there might be sufficient food sources to keep a minimal ecosystem running but it is a bit unrealistic :) (but of course this is fantasy - so either magic or divine intervention could be keeping things limping along).

SpanielBear
2021-03-11, 12:16 PM

As a possibly interesting aside, back in the 70’s my dad was in the Antarctic, studying the largest terrestrial animal on the continent.

He needed a microscope.

Vogie
2021-03-11, 11:08 PM

PCs with familiars can essentially Pokeball them away when not needed, so those aren't really an issue.

I would assume that, unless you're wandering up from the deep south into Icewinddale, the selected Wildshape and BM companions will be selected for the winter. As you mentioned, Axe Beaks, elk, reindeer, and wolves are explicitly called out as available, and polar bears are listed under uncommon mounts, IIRC.

condonzack
2021-03-13, 11:06 AM
In Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden, the average temperature is -49 degrees
Fahrenheit (-45 degrees Celsius), and wind chill can lower these temperatures by as much as 80 degrees.

After every hour, a creature must succeed on a DC10 constitution saving throw or gain 1 level of exhaustion.

I can imagine problems for the following

Find Familiar and the Tasha's version of the beast master pet make changing your familiar/companion's form easy. As tons of other people have pointed out, there are tons of wildshape options. For your steed options, this is my take. For those who have normal, non-magical steeds they would need to get local options. I also don't think that the quasi-real horselike illusion of phantom steed has to worry overmuch. Find Steed is tricky because my read on the spell is that the steed you bond with has one form, and if you summon a different steed, its not just a different shape its a whole different outsider. Which stings because thats your friend!