PDA

View Full Version : Dwarf - Monk (6TH Level)

Nosta
2021-03-10, 11:23 AM
My Gm and I where bouncing ideas for character off each other and the idea of Dwarf Monk Came up.

My First though was Drunken master who is searching for a legendary Ale.

My question is how could I build him with out sucking completely?

And what would he a good role for me?

stoutstien
2021-03-10, 11:41 AM
Nothing wrong with any dwarf monk and hill lines up pretty darn well with wisdom boost and extra hp. With point buy that's a 15 dex/16 con/ 16 wis.

Tasha's extra monk features work well with the additional weapon profs if it's in play.

Drunken monks are mostly hit and run strikers so if you like you could flavor any monk to fit the drunk dwarf looking for legendary ale if you wanted something else like Mercy's healing or 4E fireball.

Unoriginal
2021-03-10, 11:47 AM
My Gm and I where bouncing ideas for character off each other and the idea of Dwarf Monk Came up.

My First though was Drunken master who is searching for a legendary Ale.

My question is how could I build him with out sucking completely?

And what would he a good role for me?

Dwarf monks are awesome.

You can build one like any Monk and they likely won't suck, but there is a specific combo that only work with those two options:

Taking the feat Dwarven Fortitude let you spend one Hit Die whenever you use the Dodge action to heal. As a Monk, you can Dodge as a bonus action for 1 ki.

So not only you become harder to hit, you also improve your not-getting-KOed capacity, and both are great for a Dwarf.

Only problem is that Monks ASIs are pretty valuable.

I suggest Hill Dwarf for the WIS mod and bonus HPs. For the Monk subclass, I'm told the Open Hand Monk is better for the above combo, but Long Death, Mercy or Drunken Master Monk can be interesting too.

If you use the Tasha's, a weapon from the Dwarven Combat Training can be used as a Monk weapon, which means you can use a Battleaxe or a Warhammer with two hands for 1d10+DEX damages, which is pretty good for a low-to-mid-level Monk

Sigreid
2021-03-10, 11:50 AM
If you don't name him/her/whatever Something Ballpuncher, it's an opportunity missed. :smallbiggrin:

Unoriginal
2021-03-10, 11:55 AM
If you don't name him/her/whatever Something Ballpuncher, it's an opportunity missed. :smallbiggrin:

Is that a reference to a specific work?

I would say Bagpuncher sounds better.

x3n0n
2021-03-10, 12:14 PM
Taking the feat Dwarven Fortitude let you spend one Hit Die whenever you use the Dodge action to heal. As a Monk, you can Dodge as a bonus action for 1 ki.

So not only you become harder to hit, you also improve your not-getting-KOed capacity, and both are great for a Dwarf.

Only problem is that Monks ASIs are pretty valuable.

I suggest Hill Dwarf for the WIS mod and bonus HPs. For the Monk subclass, I'm told the Open Hand Monk is better for the above combo, but Long Death, Mercy or Drunken Master Monk can be interesting too.

If you use the Tasha's, a weapon from the Dwarven Combat Training can be used as a Monk weapon, which means you can use a Battleaxe or a Warhammer with two hands for 1d10+DEX damages, which is pretty good for a low-to-mid-level Monk

Both Long Death and Open Hand let you double-down on being durable without much ki via Touch of Death and Wholeness of Body, respectively.

As Unoriginal mentioned, ASIs are at a premium. If you're rolling for stats, that might be fine. :) If point buy, I might go for Mountain Dwarf with Tasha swap (if allowed) and use the level 4 ASI for Dex 18/Wis 18, then do Dwarven Fortitude at level 8. (Much easier if, say, your DM already does a free feat at 1st level.)

Or as suggested up-thread, Hill Dwarf with Dex/Con/Wis 15/16/16, then 16/17/16 with first ASI, and Dwarven Fortitude at 8 for 16/18/16. Note that this puts you 2 AC and 1 attack stat point behind a "normal" point-buy Monk that is at 18&16 at 4th level. Tasha swap here allows starting 16/15/16, with Dwarven Fortitude at 4th for 16/16/16.

Nosta
2021-03-10, 12:28 PM
Well If it helps my gm us giving us 1 free feat to start. So if that changes in suggestions let me know

x3n0n
2021-03-10, 01:55 PM
Well If it helps my gm us giving us 1 free feat to start. So if that changes in suggestions let me know

Then if you want to take advantage of the combo Unoriginal mentioned *and* are doing point-buy, then start with Dwarven Fortitude and:

* If Tasha's "Customizing Your Origin" swaps are available, Mountain Dwarf, swap +2s to Dex and Wis, for Dex/Con/Wis 17/14/17 or 16/16/16 or similar.

* If no ability swaps, Hill Dwarf, 15/18/16 or 15/16/16.

Have fun!

ImproperJustice
2021-03-11, 05:59 PM
I don’t want devolve this into an are imrpovised weapons a weapon thread, so check with GM first.

Buuuuuuut:

If you can work Tavern Brawler in there somewhere, you could acquire an Alchemy Jug, that could then become a magical weapon in your hands while also allowing you to consume a considerable amount of alcohol.

Honestly, Drunken Masters should just get improvised weapons counted as Monk Weapons as a class ability for free.
But that’s purely my opinion.

Or just carry the jug and hit people with the rest of your body. Whatever works. You do your virtual you :)