PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Rakshasa PC

Nekoryon
2021-03-10, 12:00 PM
I have this very cool character in mind, a "reformed" Rakshasa, still Lawful Evil but following a much more honorable code of conduct of Homeric inspiration.

Rakshasa have an insane level adjustment of +7, which means with normal buyoff rules I would catch up in HD with my ECL around level 92 (never been great at mathematics T-T). Given this is obviously insufferable compared to the abilities Rakshasa offer, I am looking for other ways to buyoff LA that can supplement the normal rules and be functional at normal levels of play (while not being unbalanced compared to a perfectly optimized tier 1 class character).

I would also be very happy to receive tips on how to balance the abilities of the Rakshasa in a way that would allow me to reduce the LA and/or differing opinions about what the actual LA of a Rakshasa PC should be.

I understand 7 racial HD with full BAB, all good saves, 8 skill points and sorcerer casting is insane, but in practice it does not equate the absurd gap of 7 levels when compared to, say, what a level 14 wizard can do, especially considering the Unbodied come extremely close to it at LA +4, with incorporeality in the mix.

smetzger
2021-03-10, 12:15 PM
Playground has adjusted the LA for a Rakshasa to be LA +3
https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=24868145&postcount=3

Cruiser1
2021-03-10, 04:45 PM
I would also be very happy to receive tips on how to balance the abilities of the Rakshasa in a way that would allow me to reduce the LA and/or differing opinions about what the actual LA of a Rakshasa PC should be.

For a semi-RAW compliant way of playing a Rakshasa (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/rakshasa.htm) that just deals with its +7 LA, start by getting rid of most of those monster HD by level draining yourself to level 1 in your backstory. Then take 6 levels of Sorcerer (which stack with the 7 inherent Sorcerer levels the Rakshasa has). At ECL 14 you're equivalent to a Sorcerer 13. (1 monster HD + 6 Sorcerer HD + 7 LA = 14). Your HP and saves are lower, but the awesome 15 DR + SR 27 + being a Tier 2 caster helps cover it. :smalltongue:

Clementx
2021-03-10, 05:15 PM
Use a monster class, based on the one from Savage Species. It is the 3.0 version, with the old fashioned spell immunity and crossbow slaying (and the LA+7 to go with it). Ask your DM to revise the differences between editions and compress 3-4 of those LA levels into the HD levels. There are Savage Progression web articles from Wotc to give you two an idea of how they are done in 3.5.

redking
2021-03-10, 08:52 PM
Ask your DM if he'll accept a "lesser Rakshasa" PC that starts out at 1HD and consequently only has one equivalent sorcerer level. As you level up you gain one racial HD along with the increase in sorcerer abilities until you reach 7 RHD. You'll have to negotiate the level adjustment for this with your DM.

You can flavour your lesser Rakshasa as a brand new Rakshasa spirit.

MaxiDuRaritry
2021-03-11, 12:36 PM
You could always refluff a different, lower LA/RHD race to be a weaker version of a rakshasa, then make up the difference with class levels, so you effectively have the same abilities (or at least are in the same ballpark) as a regular rakshasa, but you're more customized than the cookie-cutter races in the various supplements are. After all, it's quite feasible that various members of higher level races aren't all identical.

You could maybe play a shifter wizard, sorcerer, cleric, psion, or whatever with the Otherworldly feat (so you can be an outsider) and just say you're a juvenile rakshasa growing into its power.

TotallyNotEvil
2021-03-11, 01:28 PM
Play it at +3 LA like the LA Threads suggest.

Nekoryon
2021-03-11, 03:16 PM
Thank you all for your suggestions, already implemented it with suggested LA changes. I will consider the Savage Species option as well.

Crake
2021-03-12, 01:06 AM
For a semi-RAW compliant way of playing a Rakshasa (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/rakshasa.htm) that just deals with its +7 LA, start by getting rid of most of those monster HD by level draining yourself to level 1 in your backstory. Then take 6 levels of Sorcerer (which stack with the 7 inherent Sorcerer levels the Rakshasa has). At ECL 14 you're equivalent to a Sorcerer 13. (1 monster HD + 6 Sorcerer HD + 7 LA = 14). Your HP and saves are lower, but the awesome 15 DR + SR 27 + being a Tier 2 caster helps cover it. :smalltongue:

Considering Rakshasa have a savage progression, and those racial HD are directly tied to the rakshasa's innate casting, leveling draining those racial HD would also remove your inherent casting.