PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Magical Artifacts for Tiamat?

Rhocian Xothara
2021-03-10, 03:04 PM
TL;DR: Help me design some artifacts based on/around Tiamat.

Long version:
So in my campaign I have a black Dragonborn Noble going by the name of 'Lady Attima'. She was first discovered in Scarsdeep at the recently-relocated 'Scardale Provisioner'; she has now gone to Scardale Town with her retinue to prepare for a voyage across the Sea of Fallen Stars.

Her retinue are all simps Warlocks and Paladins sworn to her service, guised as attendants just as She is guised as a Noble.

She has taken an interest in Sterling, the bronze Dragonborn Sorcerer who only recently discovered his arcane powers and doesn't feel very 'in control' of them yet. Attima (or Tiamat, as you've probably guessed by now) is a potential Warlock Patron or a Deity for a Devotion Paladin, depending on the nature of the pact they enter into.

I thought about how Attima would enter into a Pact or oath of devotion, and after deciding that using 'Finger of Death' to murder the PC and raise them as an Undead bound to Her was just a little too evil (if very 'on-brand' for The Dark Lady), I thought about sealing it with a "Ring of The Dark Lady". Divine Artifact; doubles as a Holy Symbol for Paladins. Gifts the bearer with one of her famous abilities in which She can take a Reaction once per turn rather than once per round. The downside to the Ring is it is also Cursed - The bearer can't un-attune to it, cannot remove it from their finger, cannot be the target of magical spells *not* cast by another Deity, and the Ring is an arcane 'tracking device' - Tiamat always knows where the bearer is.

It got me thinking about other artifacts. After all, Vecna has - off the top of my head - about three different artifacts all connected with him. I'm looking for at least two more that will work nicely, which she might gift as personal treasures to her servants who commit particularly pleasing acts.

One that comes to mind is the Orb of Dragonkind from 3.5e. The beauty of that is that it isn't Cursed per se, but there's a semi-sentience about each Orb that may attempt to take control of the user. It's also an extremely powerful item; I don't expect it'll surface until much later in the game. In fact I might even make it a 'fetch quest' given by Tiamat Herself, to travel to some hidden, ancient, crumbling "Temple of Dragons" to retrieve the Orbs. Tiamat wants the Gold Orb of Dragonkind specifically as it's kinda like "The One Ring" of Dragon Orbs, but perhaps the party tries to keep it for themselves? Or even better - hands it over to Bahamut?

Another is that as Lady Attima is masquerading as a Dragonborn Noble - probably a Sorcerer by class - she'd likely have some sort of staff. I'm thinking of something on the same level as The Blackstaff (it's gotta be powerful if the Dragon Queen Herself deigns to use it as her personal possession), but I wondered if there's a way to give something like that a real "Tiamat" flavour?

These are just ideas I've had whilst planning ahead these last couple of days, but I welcome and encourage any and all suggestions.

Xervous
2021-03-10, 03:16 PM
The first thing I have to wonder is what level Tiamat is peeking all five of her heads over the party’s shoulders. Anything involving a projected sliver of Tiamat’s divine presence is treading into T3 territory.

If you want to delve back to 3.5e for inspiration there’s the relics from MIC, among them the Chromatic Rod.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2021-03-10, 03:33 PM
You don't want to make them too powerful for low level characters, but you don't want to make them too weak for high level characters to want them.

The relic items of 3.5 edition unlocked their full power if the user worships the right deity and sacrifices a spell slot of a particular level every day to keep it active.

Maybe make items that have a weak passive benefit, but have a stronger, scaling benefit that's only active if the wearer spends a spell slot (or mystic arcanum use) to activate it for a day. Say this benefit is activated on spending the spell slot and stays active until the end of their next long rest, so it's effectively an always-spent spell slot. Make the benefits gradually better for a 1st-5th level slot, but then significantly better for at 6th+ level slot.

Unoriginal
2021-03-10, 04:11 PM
Tiamat would *extremely* be interested in the Dragonstaff of Ahghairon. It's the only thing that can allow Dragons to enter the territory of Waterdeep (while keeping any unwanted Dragon out).

Another is that as Lady Attima is masquerading as a Dragonborn Noble - probably a Sorcerer by class - she'd likely have some sort of staff. I'm thinking of something on the same level as The Blackstaff (it's gotta be powerful if the Dragon Queen Herself deigns to use it as her personal possession), but I wondered if there's a way to give something like that a real "Tiamat" flavour?

I disagree with the idea Tiamat would carry a powerful artifact, disguise or not.

Tiamat would not bear anyone thinking any part of her power is due to a trinket. And Sorcerers can cast spells without focuses, so it's not like she need it to maintain her disguise.

Also, I have to say, Arkhan the Cruel is going to be mad jealous of this Sterling fellow. Especially since he cut off his own hand to get the Hand of Vecna just to free Tiamat from her prison, and that was unecessary.

One last point: why Paladin of Devotion? People involved with Tiamat would likely rather go with Paladin of Conquest, no?

Rhocian Xothara
2021-03-10, 05:18 PM
The first thing I have to wonder is what level Tiamat is peeking all five of her heads over the party’s shoulders. Anything involving a projected sliver of Tiamat’s divine presence is treading into T3 territory.

Tiamat Lady Attina is in Faerun for her own reasons, much of them pertaining to rumours that God-King Gilgeam has resurfaced in Unther and is ruling once-more there. She defeated him in combat once before during the Time of Troubles and was in effect on the side of Tymanther, the main nation opposed to Unther.

I don't think she cares a jot about Tymanther, but I do think she cares about a former foe re-consolidating his power.

On top of that: My campaign is not level-scaled at all. It was a discussion during the Zero Session - things great and small can happen regardless of their level, and they are all experienced enough players to know when to hold 'em and know when to fold 'em in terms of encounters.

And lastly: Sterling is a new Sorcerer actively looking for a mentor. Lady Attina probably senses this, and knows a malleable peon when she sees one. Also, DMs in the past have portrayed her as some maniacal, power-crazed, unhinged evil entity. She's Lawful-Evil. She's a schemer. She is methodical. She is also canonically a little paranoid. I don't think she'd write off a puny mortal for 'puny mortal's sake. She has business in Faerun and many servants make light work.

You don't want to make them too powerful for low level characters, but you don't want to make them too weak for high level characters to want them.

The relic items of 3.5 edition unlocked their full power if the user worships the right deity and sacrifices a spell slot of a particular level every day to keep it active.

Maybe make items that have a weak passive benefit, but have a stronger, scaling benefit that's only active if the wearer spends a spell slot (or mystic arcanum use) to activate it for a day. Say this benefit is activated on spending the spell slot and stays active until the end of their next long rest, so it's effectively an always-spent spell slot. Make the benefits gradually better for a 1st-5th level slot, but then significantly better for at 6th+ level slot.

I like the idea of the Mystic Arcanum requirement! It kinda gates the full power to a fairly high level (I think Warlocks get their first Arcanum at 11th level?). As for scaling, it kinda reminds me of my favourite weapon as a DM, the Hammer of Thunderbolts. It's something one can give at low levels and it'd function as a +1 Maul; the rest of its powers are gated behind the procurement of two more artifacts.

Tiamat would *extremely* be interested in the Dragonstaff of Ahghairon. It's the only thing that can allow Dragons to enter the territory of Waterdeep (while keeping any unwanted Dragon out).
Extremely good shout!

One last point: why Paladin of Devotion? People involved with Tiamat would likely rather go with Paladin of Conquest, no?
I think the Oath type depends on the nature of, well, the Oath itself. If Lady Attina has demanded unwavering fealty then the Oath is based on one's "devotion" to that Deity. Vengeance is for when a character actually wants to do something about their own tragic backstory; Ancients is a particularly militant Druid, and Crown is a glorified Knight.

I'm being obtuse, but for me 'Conquest' is only more fitting if that's precisely what Tiamat is demanding of them. For the purpose of the campaign, Tiamat would have them as her 'go-fer' bitch. Saying that, I'd let the player have agency in their Oath. If they want to be a Conquest Pally then their Oath has to be along the lines of conquering lands and people in Her name, and/or vanquishing all those who would ally themselves with Her enemies.