PDA

View Full Version : Eberron Cleric Domain Help

NecessaryWeevil
2021-03-10, 05:30 PM
Hi, I have a concept for PC whose family follows the Blood of Vol. He's down with the basic philosophy of the faith (divinity within, self-actualization) but if introduced to the deeper mysteries would probably break with it. I have an Arcana Cleric build I like. But the domains given for the BoV do not include Arcana. Any ideas for arguments that might persuade my DM to let me play a BoV Arcana cleric?

MrStabby
2021-03-10, 05:36 PM
I think the best arguements are:

1) you want to
2) you would enjoy it
3) it wont detract from the fun of anyone else at the table

jaappleton
2021-03-10, 05:38 PM
Hi, I have a concept for PC whose family follows the Blood of Vol. He's down with the basic philosophy of the faith (divinity within, self-actualization) but if introduced to the deeper mysteries would probably break with it. I have an Arcana Cleric build I like. But the domains given for the BoV do not include Arcana. Any ideas for arguments that might persuade my DM to let me play a BoV Arcana cleric?

Here’s the thing.... What Cleric is going to train and devote themselves to a God and remain willfully ignorant of its tenets and dogma?

Wizard_Lizard
2021-03-10, 05:39 PM
Well, with eberron, the gods are.. less solid than others and the blood of vol is more a faith than a god. You just follow the more.. arcane side of the faith, like undead raising, or other arcane rites and ways to achieve immortality and all that.

NecessaryWeevil
2021-03-10, 05:43 PM
Here’s the thing.... What Cleric is going to train and devote themselves to a God and remain willfully ignorant of its tenets and dogma?

Sorry, I'm not following you. You mean "We're actually pawns of an evil lich"? I doubt 18-year-olds displaying their first signs of divine magic get told that.

CornfedCommando
2021-03-10, 08:31 PM
I think Arcana Cleric works just fine. I tend to find that most domains can be sized to fit any faith and the listed examples are more stereotypes to help new players come up with a theme.

The gods of Eberron, being much fewer and more nebulous, can easily accommodate numerous domains. I mean, look at the Restful Watch, for instance. Nothing about Aureon’s blurb would suggest the Grave domain, yet there it is.

NecessaryWeevil
2021-03-11, 12:41 AM
The DM and I have a deal. Thanks all!

Wizard_Lizard
2021-03-11, 03:16 PM

I think Keith Baker's been pretty clear that most worshippers of the Blood of Vol are unaware of Lady Ilmarrow, and the faith is largely dissocciated from her, I am aware that it's different in other editions but afaik it's canon for 5e. The emerald claw is an extremist splinter group.

Nefariis
2021-03-11, 03:24 PM

*looks around and makes a general gesture towards the world*

Millstone85
2021-03-11, 03:38 PM
The DM and I have a deal. Thanks all!So I am saying it too late, but you could have shown your DM this:
The Arcana Domain maps to the portfolios overseen by Aureon of the Sovereign Host and the Shadow from the Dark Six. Blood of Vol cultists who are clerics can also take this domain.