PDA

View Full Version : [AL] Brainstorming a Controller/Grappler Rune Knight

prototype00
2021-03-10, 10:21 PM
So after reading the class in Tashas and seeing some videos on YouTube, I’ve come to the conclusion that the Rune Knight .... isn’t really built for big damage. (is it? You tell me)

Instead what it is superlative at is controlling and locking down the battlefield. Imagine having a once per short rest ability to just say “now you just stand there for the rest of the fight and take hits unless you can make this Wisdom save with Disadvantage.” at 7th level?

So to lean into that controller/supporter idea I’ve been thinking about how to build a grappler/proner for AL, just so I can use my actual actions to lock down yet another person.

But starting with the brainstorming basic weapon configuration wise should I go:

1. Completely unarmed with the unarmed fighting style?

2. Versatile Weapon in one hand that I can switch between two handed damage and one handed in grapple on the fly?

3. Captain America! (Shield and Unarmed) for that nice Shield Master Synergy and more tanking.

4. Sword and Board! As 3, but you have to drop something to grapple.

I admit to being partial to 2 and 3 but what do all of you fine folk think?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2021-03-11, 12:08 AM
Shield Master with something that can make attacks while grappling and holding a shield. Loxodon or especially Simic Hybrid can grapple without using a hand, and hold a weapon and shield. Lizardfolk, Minotaur, and Satyr can make unarmed strikes with their head while their hands are full with a shield and a grapple.

The Simic Hybrid is probably the best, but doesn't come online until 5th level. You can get two grappling appendages, so you can have up to three opponents grappled at once without dropping your shield, or two while wielding a weapon. Loxodon's serenity, keen smell, and powerful build can all come in handy. Satyr is extremely strong with magic resistance and bonus proficiencies if using Tasha's customized origins. Minotaur is probably the best choice overall if not using Tasha's, and it's my favorite thematically. Lizardfolk also brings a lot to the table, especially if you can make frequent use of cunning artisan.

prototype00
2021-03-11, 12:52 AM
Shield Master with something that can make attacks while grappling and holding a shield. Loxodon or especially Simic Hybrid can grapple without using a hand, and hold a weapon and shield. Lizardfolk, Minotaur, and Satyr can make unarmed strikes with their head while their hands are full with a shield and a grapple.

Ah, unfortunately all the exciting Ravnica and Theros races are off the table on account of Adventurer’s League.

Also, correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t think Unarmed Strike has a “needs a hand free” requirement? (Grapple does) You can unarmed strike with headbutts and knees and elbows?

The Simic Hybrid is probably the best, but doesn't come online until 5th level. You can get two grappling appendages, so you can have up to three opponents grappled at once without dropping your shield, or two while wielding a weapon. Loxodon's serenity, keen smell, and powerful build can all come in handy. Satyr is extremely strong with magic resistance and bonus proficiencies if using Tasha's customized origins. Minotaur is probably the best choice overall if not using Tasha's, and it's my favorite thematically. Lizardfolk also brings a lot to the table, especially if you can make frequent use of cunning artisan.

If we discount the unarmed attack mentioned (As discussed) what else does Minotaur bring to this, just curious?

Greywander
2021-03-11, 01:05 AM
Also, correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t think Unarmed Strike has a “needs a hand free” requirement? (Grapple does) You can unarmed strike with headbutts and knees and elbows?
Not only that, but you can grapple an opponent in each hand and still get the d8 damage die from the fighting style, since you're not wielding a weapon or shield.

Rune Knight is definitely fantastic for a grappler. They don't get the damage resistance that the barbarian does with Rage, but they get the size increase from Enlarge/Reduce instead, and as a bonus action. Later on you can even become Huge, allowing you to grapple literally anything, regardless of size. It also doesn't matter if you play a small race, either, since Giant's Might sets your size to Large rather than just increasing your size one category.

Make sure to grab Skill Expert for Athletics expertise. A rogue dip wouldn't be awful, either, allowing you to get expertise and Cunning Action, which will help with your mobility (important for a grappler), though it will delay getting that huge size and lock you out of that fourth attack.

It's also important to be prepared to handle enemies you can't grapple. Some enemies are outright immune to grappling, while others might be too large (until high levels) or able to stay out of your reach (e.g. flying enemies). The good news is that grappling requires fairly little investment, allowing you to spec into performing other roles in combat when you're not grappling. You don't even really need the unarmed fighting style, especially if you're a race with natural weapons. If you do want to be a better grappler, it's probably better to look into beefing up your defenses; the key is to force your victims to defeat you before they can escape, so making yourself as resilient as possible allows you to soak up everything they dish out, directing it away from the rest of your party. Grapplers aren't just controllers, they're also tanks.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2021-03-11, 02:24 AM
Ah, unfortunately all the exciting Ravnica and Theros races are off the table on account of Adventurer’s League.

If we discount the unarmed attack mentioned (As discussed) what else does Minotaur bring to this, just curious?

I must have missed the AL part. I also forgot about the unarmed fighting style, so that makes races with an unarmed attack a bit irrelevant.

Minotaur gets ideal ability score bonuses if you're not using Tasha's customized origins, it's the best out of that list besides Simic Hybrid. I'm pretty sure AL uses Tasha's ability score and proficiency reassigning by default, so it's not exactly relevant.

Considering you're in AL and don't need a race that gives an improved unarmed strike, go with whatever gets the best special abilities for what you're doing. If Orc is available (I don't play AL, it's listed but in red?) the aggressive trait is superb, plus darkvision and two bonus skills. Duergar gets an honorable mention due to its ability to cast enlarge, among other benefits. I'm not sure if vHuman is allowed, but if so starting with Shield Master or Skill Expert may be worthwhile.

Dalinar
2021-03-11, 09:38 AM
Looks like other people have covered a lot already, but I'll throw my thoughts out there. Note that I'm not particularly familiar with AL rules, so forgive me if some of this is banned at your table.

I'm imagining the just-a-shield option because it sounds cool to me. VHuman with a shield lets you get the grapple-and-shove-prone combo at level 1, or Athletics expertise at level 1 if you prefer.

Some thoughts on fighting style:

Unarmed Fighting is the obvious choice.

Interception with the just-a-shield will help with your role as a tank.

Archery if you expect to deal with enemies that are flying or otherwise out of your reach. You can maybe keep your favorite ranged weapon (maybe a hand crossbow so you can keep your shield?) ready to be drawn for situations where that's called for. This also opens up Sharpshooter/CBE if you want to take them once you have your favorite grappling feats.

Superior Technique lets you grab your favorite Battlemaster maneuver. Notably, there's one that lets you grapple as a bonus action, adding your d6 superiority die to the check. Unfortunately, it only matters once per short rest. Up to you whether that's worth it.

---

Not that it's particularly what you were imagining, but I was screwing with the idea of going high elf on a grappler, for the free wizard cantrip--in this case, Create Bonfire, which you could grapple somebody into for an extra d8 damage per turn (scaling with level of course). It's not full cheese-grater compared to some builds, but it's little commitment. Alternatively, VHuman can do the same thing by going Magic Initiate, sacrificing the +2 in Strength (assuming Tasha's rules on racial ASIs) for an additional cantrip and once-per-long-rest 1st-level spell. If going this option, I might go Warlock for Eldritch Blast and something like Armor of Agathys, Expeditious Retreat, Hellish Rebuke, Hex, PfEaG, or Unseen Servant for the first-level spell; grab a Wizard/Sorcerer's Minor Illusion and Shield or Absorb Elements; or you can pick Druid for stuff like Entangle for even more battlefield control.

prototype00
2021-03-11, 09:55 AM
Looks like other people have covered a lot already, but I'll throw my thoughts out there. Note that I'm not particularly familiar with AL rules, so forgive me if some of this is banned at your table.

I'm imagining the just-a-shield option because it sounds cool to me. VHuman with a shield lets you get the grapple-and-shove-prone combo at level 1, or Athletics expertise at level 1 if you prefer.

Some thoughts on fighting style:

Unarmed Fighting is the obvious choice.

Interception with the just-a-shield will help with your role as a tank.

Archery if you expect to deal with enemies that are flying or otherwise out of your reach. You can maybe keep your favorite ranged weapon (maybe a hand crossbow so you can keep your shield?) ready to be drawn for situations where that's called for. This also opens up Sharpshooter/CBE if you want to take them once you have your favorite grappling feats.

Superior Technique lets you grab your favorite Battlemaster maneuver. Notably, there's one that lets you grapple as a bonus action, adding your d6 superiority die to the check. Unfortunately, it only matters once per short rest. Up to you whether that's worth it.

---

Not that it's particularly what you were imagining, but I was screwing with the idea of going high elf on a grappler, for the free wizard cantrip--in this case, Create Bonfire, which you could grapple somebody into for an extra d8 damage per turn (scaling with level of course). It's not full cheese-grater compared to some builds, but it's little commitment. Alternatively, VHuman can do the same thing by going Magic Initiate, sacrificing the +2 in Strength (assuming Tasha's rules on racial ASIs) for an additional cantrip and once-per-long-rest 1st-level spell. If going this option, I might go Warlock for Eldritch Blast and something like Armor of Agathys, Expeditious Retreat, Hellish Rebuke, Hex, PfEaG, or Unseen Servant for the first-level spell; grab a Wizard/Sorcerer's Minor Illusion and Shield or Absorb Elements; or you can pick Druid for stuff like Entangle for even more battlefield control.

Just a Shield has a certain reckless charm to it, but I need to figure out a way to guarantee that my unarmed strike ends up doing magical damage otherwise the resistance at T2 is going to cut my effectiveness down.

Just an axe likewise is simple and you can get some nice riders on weapons (like flametongue longsword for example).

Hmm, I'll think about it.