PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Clawed Tabaxi Barbarian

werescythe
2021-03-10, 11:58 PM
So I have a bit of a conundrum, that I thought I would check and see if anyone had any advice. So my brother is planning on doing a wild mount campaign and it is possible that I might need to play a tank. Thus I had thought of maybe playing a Tabaxi Barbarian and embracing the idea of being a cat and had considered going Path of the Beast for the claws... however, it seems that maybe the Tabaxi's default claws might actually be better (as shown below).

Path of the Beast: 1D6 Slashing.
Tabaxi Claws: 1D4 + Strength Modifier Slashing.

Going off of this it is possible that a Tabaxi with max Strength would be doing 6-10 Slashing damage. Granted I suppose the double attack with Claws on Beast Barb makes it technically 2D6 (2-12 Slashing).

Now I know I can do Bite or Tail, but it doesn't quite fit what I wanted to do with this character.

I guess what I'm asking is, should I go with Beast Barbarian or should I go with something else, like maybe Wild Magic Barb?

Theodoxus
2021-03-11, 12:02 AM
FORM OF THE BEAST
3rd-level Path of the Beast feature
When you enter your rage, you can transform, revealing
the bestial power within you. Until the rage
ends, you manifest a natural weapon. It counts as
a simple melee weapon for you, and you add your
Strength modifier to the attack and damage rolls
when you attack with it, as normal.

You're good :)

werescythe
2021-03-11, 12:17 AM
FORM OF THE BEAST
3rd-level Path of the Beast feature
When you enter your rage, you can transform, revealing
the bestial power within you. Until the rage
ends, you manifest a natural weapon. It counts as
a simple melee weapon for you, and you add your
Strength modifier to the attack and damage rolls
when you attack with it, as normal.

You're good :)

*Sees this post. Goes checks Tashas.*

Oh, I guess I'm just dumb. lol. :smalltongue:

Thank you for mentioning this to me. This definitely makes Beast Barb look MUCH better. :smallbiggrin:

Theodoxus
2021-03-11, 08:35 AM
Sure thing :)

I hadn't really contemplated a Tabaxi, but it's nice - when you're not raging, you still get your natural claws. It's obviously not as impressive, and you'd probably want a side arm anyway, but it does make the build feel like a feral monk, which I like.

Unoriginal
2021-03-11, 09:25 AM
Also the Path of the Beast makes your raging claws count as magical.

That being said, do note that the Unarmed fighting style makes all your unarmed strikes 1d8+STR, if you're not using a shield. If you have a feat to spare, Fighting Initiate might be worthwhile to have even deadlier claws regardless of if you're raging or not.

Hairfish
2021-03-11, 10:35 AM
Now I want to make D&D Wolverine but base his personality on Nick Offerman. Maybe use the baby warlock feat to take False Life at will?