PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Searching for wand enhancements...

aglondier
2021-03-11, 09:21 AM
Years ago I read and article or supplement about adding bonuses/enhancements to a wand to increase it's utility beyond just it's 50 charges. But for the life of me I cannot remember where it came from. Doing a google search now just leads to "wand" enhancements...interesting, but not something I need.

Can anyone remember what I'm looking for?

Powerdork
2021-03-11, 10:47 AM
In terms of special abilities, or a literal enhancement bonus?

Might it be the case that you're remembering 4e's implements? (Like magic swords, but for spells.)

Asmotherion
2021-03-11, 11:26 AM
All I can think of are:

A) Making a permanent "wand" aka a custom item that can cast a spell at-will (see the formula for crafting a Ring of Telekinesis)
B) Eternal Wands, a type of wand that has 2 charges, and replenishes them every day. It is at least implied by the text that it's an Eberon item, though I'm not sure if it's Eberon Exclusive or not.
C) Items like staffs or Swords with a Wand Compartment.

Finally, there's some spells and feats that can give a wand "temporary charges" and cast using those charges.

Not sure if any of those is relevant to what you're looking for, just adding them for referance.

aglondier
2021-03-11, 09:11 PM
I never got into 4th ed. so doubtful. As for "infinite wands", I already use them, but that isn't what I meant.

I am referring to additional enhancements, separate from the normal wand spell. Kind of like weapon enchantments. Either 3.x or pf since thats what I've been playing for the last 30 years. There's just so much material that I can't remember where I saw it.

Quentinas
2021-03-12, 12:38 PM
There is the paragraph gems and wands from magic of faerun that based on which gem there is in the wand (and the spell inside ) it boost the caster level , the DC and other effects from what I remember

Zaq
2021-03-12, 12:51 PM
Metamagic wand grips, maybe? Complete Mage, pg. 133. Lets you spend extra charges to trigger specific metamagic effects with the wand.

Can you elaborate on what you mean exactly by "increas[ing] its utility beyond just its 50 charges"? You mean like getting extra charges, getting more than a single spell effect out, getting enhancements on that spell effect, or what?

Aracor
2021-03-12, 02:43 PM
Metamagic Wand Grips were already mentioned.

The Rod of Many Wands is also an option. These both burn through charges faster, but they can make a nasty blast.

BaronDoctor
2021-03-12, 03:05 PM
Far as getting more durability out of a wand, Power Surge (Artificer infusion) gives you some temporary charges for a small XP cost and Wand Surge (feat) lets you burn an action point instead of a wand charge. Throw in a means of Persisting the Unfettered Heroism spell and you can do that once per round for 'free'.

Biggus
2021-03-12, 06:12 PM
B) Eternal Wands, a type of wand that has 2 charges, and replenishes them every day. It is at least implied by the text that it's an Eberon item, though I'm not sure if it's Eberon Exclusive or not.

They later appeared in the MIC so they're not Eberron-specific now.

StSword
2021-03-12, 10:46 PM
Could it have been a third party product?

The Genius Guide tp Rune Staves and Wyrd Wands gives wands special properties like magic weapons.

aglondier
2021-03-13, 12:33 AM
Could it have been a third party product?

The Genius Guide tp Rune Staves and Wyrd Wands gives wands special properties like magic weapons.

Yes! Wyrd wands is exactly what I was trying to remember. Thanks.

Asmotherion
2021-03-13, 01:30 AM
They later appeared in the MIC so they're not Eberron-specific now.
Good to know. Thanks