PDA

View Full Version : A simple and passably amusing combo

ImproperJustice
2021-03-11, 10:41 AM
Once again, I fund myself playing an Alchemist Artificer and looking for interesting things to do.

In our last session I decided to use Tiny Servant on a torch and equipped it with a piece of flint.

Then upon discovering a pack of werewolves had the opportunity to send my little Lightbearer into their midst via a bonus action and then cast Pyrotechnics for a flash bang like effect.

Then, I was able to have “Torchy” just relight himself on following turns and roam about as needed to deliver smoke or firework blasts as needed.

I was inspired enough to load Pyrotechnics into my spell storing item the following day, mainly since so many of our foes in the later game still have trouble dealing with smoke, and my spell DC is high enough to land the Blindness effect fairly often.

Is it an OMG broken things you can do?
Not really.
But it was fun, and got me to wondering what other simple 1-2 punches might be floating out there based off low level spells and features that may get forgotten about at higher levels of play?

Especially with things like Tiny Servant which I am
growing to really enjoy.

whateew
2021-03-11, 10:18 PM
Until this very moment in time I've never heard of someone being happy they had pyrotechnics - kudos to you for making it work!

Anything that isn't a spell or an attack works with invisibility - breath weapons and other action abilities such a water whip from the four element monk come to mind, and it can be quite funny to prod someone like this. With the shadow touched feat, this is also quite accessible.

Hex works nicely with grappling, and could suit a fey touched / Hexblood fighter type.

One I personally love is phantasmal force - int saves are often poor, and since the illusion seems physical (and it can be hard to know how to remove it once you've failed your first check by the wording of the spell), you can get a lot of fun mileage out of it. Lighting fire sensitive enemies ablaze is a fun one, they will try to roll and un-fire themselves to no avail. Another neat one could be putting an iron maiden around a medium character - if they fail their int check, they shouldn't be able to see past it based on the stipulations of the spell. I personally am waiting for the chance to phantasmal force a bag full of bees on someone's head.

Catapult is always a chance for shenanigans - two bags of holding, a bunch of alchemist fires, whatever you want, stick it on a cannon and fire.

MaxWilson
2021-03-11, 10:40 PM
Until this very moment in time I've never heard of someone being happy they had pyrotechnics - kudos to you for making it work!

Really, you haven't? Pyrotechnics is awesome for granting advantage to minions with blindsight, like Tiny Servants and Giant Poisonous Snakes and Wolf Spiders. If you've got Alert it's like Concentration-free Blur. It can let skeleton minions throw nets from 5 to 15' away without disadvantage. It can even do all three things at the same time.

It is one of the better no-concentration party buffs in the game, if you plan ahead how you will use it.

whateew
2021-03-11, 10:44 PM
Really, you haven't? Pyrotechnics is awesome for granting advantage to minions with blindsight, like Tiny Servants and Giant Poisonous Snakes and Wolf Spiders. If you've got Alert it's like Concentration-free Blur. It can let skeleton minions throw nets from 5 to 15' away without disadvantage. It can even do all three things at the same time.

It is one of the better no-concentration party buffs in the game, if you plan ahead how you will lose out.

Compared to fog cloud, it always seemed underwhelming to me, but it's quite notable that it doesn't take concentration. Seems worth the second level slot to me