PDA

View Full Version : Need help with kensai/bladebound magus build

CDPhenix
2021-03-11, 04:36 PM
Hey all, I'm currently playing a tiefling kensai/bladebound magus and I decided I should plan ahead on my character build so I'm looking for some insight on my feat and arcana choices.

Feats:
1. Weapon finesse
3. Heightened spell
5. Preferred spell (shocking grasp)
6. Spell penetration
9. Critical focus
11. Improved critical
12. Intensify spell
15. Bleeding critical
17. Staggering critical
18. Stunning critical

Arcana:
6. Empowered magic
12. Hasted assault
15. Maximize magic
18. Accurate strike

Alright new build

Feats:
3. Heighten Spell
5. Preferred Spell (Shocking Grasp)
6. Empower Spell
9. Spell Penetration
11. Intensify Spell
12. Improved Critical
15. Maximize Spell
17. Spell Perfection (Shocking Grasp)
18. Not sure what to put here, maybe extra arcana or improved initiative? Recommendations welcome

Arcana:
6. Empowered Magic
12. Hasted Assault
15. Bane Blade
18. Maximized Magic

So how does this look? If you have any recommendations or critiques please tell me. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Akal Saris
2021-03-13, 01:57 PM
As far as feats that could be useful, maybe Combat Casting (since you will be casting defensively often), or Dervish Dance (gain dex to damage, most useful early on).

I would maybe change to this (I'm not sure if this is a legal build, I can't tell which bonus feats can be used for what):

Feats:
1. Weapon finesse
3. Dervish Dance
5. Heightened spell
6. Preferred spell (shocking grasp)
9. Combat Casting
11. Critical focus
12. Improved critical
15. Intensify spell
17. Bleeding critical
18. Staggering critical

Arcana:
6. Empowered magic
12. Hasted assault
15. Maximize magic
18. Accurate strike

Kurald Galain
2021-03-13, 02:31 PM
You don't need combat casting to cast shocking grasp, particularly not at level 9. And you're overdoing it on the critical feats. But yeah, dervish dance is good.

Here you go, Magus guide (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?423754-Myrrh-Frankincense-and-Steel-Kurald-Galain-s-Guide-to-the-Magus).

Thunder999
2021-03-15, 09:18 PM
You cannot put agile on a blackblade, so dervish dance is mandatory if you want to be dex based.

CDPhenix
2021-03-18, 04:42 PM
You cannot put agile on a blackblade, so dervish dance is mandatory if you want to be dex based.

Is the dex to damage actually that big of a deal? Because requiring the use of a specific weapon and having to take a couple ranks in a useless skill for the magus just seems dumb to me.

Kurald Galain
2021-03-18, 05:14 PM
Is the dex to damage actually that big of a deal? Because requiring the use of a specific weapon and having to take a couple ranks in a useless skill for the magus just seems dumb to me.

It's good but somewhat overrated. To call it "mandatory" is, of course, hyperbole.

...because you can also get damage from your spells instead, or from your arcane pool enchant; and you can also focus on debuffs or on maneuvers instead of damage.

CDPhenix
2021-03-18, 06:19 PM
It's good but somewhat overrated. To call it "mandatory" is, of course, hyperbole.

...because you can also get damage from your spells instead, or from your arcane pool enchant; and you can also focus on debuffs or on maneuvers instead of damage.

Alright, so are there any specific changes you'd recommend? I know you mentioned I went a bit overboard with the crit feats which was something I was worried about.

Thunder999
2021-03-18, 11:32 PM
If you're not getting dex to damage (and presumably have a poor strength score, otherwise you wouldn't be spending a feat on weapon finesse) then you need to be pumping your spell damage and adding good damage boosting properties with your arcane pool.

It's hard to go wrong with empower, maximise and spell perfection, empower is a mid level feat, 7 or 9, spell perfection is at level 15 and maximise at 17.
Probably worth getting quicken too, though since you're buying neither weapons nor armour you can just buy a lesser rod.

For arcana devoted blade is worth a look as is bane blade, bane is better than holy, but bane baldric exists so you probably want something that stacks with it.

There is of course the alternative of having a decent strength and using polymorph spells to get size bonuses to strength and extra reach, they pair quite nicely with kensai's unarmoured AC

CDPhenix
2021-03-19, 10:32 AM
If you're not getting dex to damage (and presumably have a poor strength score, otherwise you wouldn't be spending a feat on weapon finesse) then you need to be pumping your spell damage and adding good damage boosting properties with your arcane pool.

Alright I'll keep in mind to focus more on spell/arcana damage. Also I currently have an 11 in strength which is my only odd stat other than my charisma at 5, would you say it'd be a good idea to boost that at 4th level?

It's hard to go wrong with empower, maximise and spell perfection, empower is a mid level feat, 7 or 9, spell perfection is at level 15 and maximise at 17.

So to make room should I drop the crit feats or preferred spell? I'll also mention I did take wayang spell hunter and magical lineage for shacking grasp which should help pair with those.

Probably worth getting quicken too, though since you're buying neither weapons nor armour you can just buy a lesser rod.

Are you able to use a rod with spell-strike/spell combat?

For arcana devoted blade is worth a look as is bane blade, bane is better than holy, but bane baldric exists so you probably want something that stacks with it.

The both of them definitely do look strong, surprised I managed to overlook them. With my character being true neutral I don't have to worry about the negative levels from devoted. Also do you get to choose the creature type for name blade? I assume so but I just want to make sure.

Thunder999
2021-03-19, 11:07 AM
Alright I'll keep in mind to focus more on spell/arcana damage. Also I currently have an 11 in strength which is my only odd stat other than my charisma at 5, would you say it'd be a good idea to boost that at 4th level?

Not really worth it.

So to make room should I drop the crit feats or preferred spell? I'll also mention I did take wayang spell hunter and magical lineage for shacking grasp which should help pair with those.

Yeah, I'd drop the crit feats, particularly as you can just put keen on your weapon and that's by far the best of the available options in most combats. Having both traits is great.

Are you able to use a rod with spell-strike/spell combat?

Yes, though unless you have extra limbs (prehensile tail, kasatha etc.) you'll need to cast Aroden's Spellsword so you can put the rod inside your sword, can't hold both otherwise.

The both of them definitely do look strong, surprised I managed to overlook them. With my character being true neutral I don't have to worry about the negative levels from devoted. Also do you get to choose the creature type for name blade? I assume so but I just want to make sure.

You pick the bane type every time you use it, so it's really good.
Can't use devoted blade though, you can only add abilities that match your alignment, which is nothing for true neutral.

CDPhenix
2021-03-19, 12:08 PM
Alright thanks for the help dude