PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Have Tasha's variant features provided a decent boost to the four elements monk?

whateew
2021-03-11, 07:30 PM
Four elements monk is widely considered to be an underwhelming (although neat) subclass for the monk, but I feel that tasha's new rules have provided a meaningful boost to their damage and efficiency - but do you guys think its enough?

Simply, the 3rd level variant feature for monks now lets them make bonus action strikes when using ki as part of their action - so now, all of the monks spell and attack options are suddenly more viable - specifically, 1d4 + dex more viable, as since you no longer are wasting a potential flurry of blows you can get more out of your turns.

Is this a meaningful boost? Well, the four elements monk can spend 2 ki points to "cast," at lower tiers of play, water whip or unbroken air, dealing 3d10 on an unsuccessful save as well as knocking prone, and then can make a bonus action follow up attack dealing martial arts die + dex damage. Meanwhile, the normal monk makes 2 flurry-of-blows with this amount of ki.

So, to try and calculate the difference (assuming all attacks hit), I will compare 2 rounds of both monks, each spending 2 ki points, without multiattack and with +3 dex. They make these attacks all at one, single enemy.
The normal monk flurries twice, dealing 2(1d8+3) + 4(1d4+3), which averages out to an average of 15 + 22, so 37 damage over two turns.
The four elements monk uses your choice of water whip or unbroken air, an unarmed strike, and next turn attacks normally, so 1 spear and 1 punch, dealing 3d10 + 2(1d4+3) + 1d8+3 - on average, 16.5 + 11 + 7.5, so 35 damage.

While still weaker, 2 damage is not a massive difference at all, and the bonus effects of having significant extra range can now shine - so its no longer an outright awful option. Without the change, we miss out on 5.5 damage - a difference of 7 damage over 2 rounds is much more significant. While four elements is certainly not outright good, it no longer feels outright ineffective - this might be a meaningful boost!
(Edit - it appears that the ki fuelled strikes allows you to use your monk weapon instead of your fists - and 1d8 deals 2 more damage than 1d4, so it actually seems that these two are tied!)

But it gets better since the monk gains meaningful AoE options from this subclass; for 2 ki points, you can deal 3d6 damage in a 15ft cone for 2 ki points. With the previsous calculation, we know that the 2 unarmed strikes + one weapon attack deals 18.5 damage, meaning we need another 18.5 to catch up with the flurry of blows. With a failed dex save dealing 10.5 damage and a success dealing 5 (halves round down), immediately the four elements seems competitive for group damage - if 2 enemies fail the save, you will be more effective than a flurry-of-blows, and if you can, at any point, hit 4 targets, even if they all save it will still be more effective than a flurry of blows.

I feel like, now that Tasha's has provided this change, the four elements monk might become decently (but not significantly!) more viable than previous iterations. What do you think? Is this subclass meaningfully more viable?

whateew
2021-03-11, 07:34 PM
Also, a fun addition for a niche four elements build - taking v human / custom lineage and the shadow touched feat seems very effective as a four elements build.

The monk can get 16 16 16, or 17 16 14 stats, and False life provides a nice boost to a famously squishy class. Perhaps more noteworthy is a fun interaction between the water whip and the invisibility spell - as the water whip is neither an attack nor a spell, it would not break invisibility! For a class with already decent stealth capabilities, this I think could lead to a somewhat funny harasser monk who stays invisible and just pulls people around the battlefield, possibly through walls of fire or spike growths.

This is also (at least partially) confirmed to be acceptable by Crawford's tweets, as he has confirmed that the breath weapon does not spoil invisibility - if it doesn't, then why shouldn't this?

Another more goofy, although largely ineffective build would be a bugbear monk who uses the monks speed and the fire fist "spell" to punch enemies while 20ft away from them, then have the monks massive move speed to stay at a sage distance. Perhaps a fun idea for a flying type build too?

Chronic
2021-03-11, 08:59 PM
I think the 4 elements monk was never a really bad subclass, it just never lived up to it's concept. Fist of unbroken air and water whip are good disciplines (too bad water whip was changed to an action tho) provide good control options at range with decent damage. It also provide options most other monk subclass do not. Such as fly and AOE.

Now with the new features added with tasha, the subclass become less clunky and allow the mechanics of the monk chassis and the subclass to work in a more fluid way.
It is now IMO one of the most versatile subclass available to the monk.

I'm gonna take the opportunity of this thread, to ask peoples opinion on an idea I had a few days ago. People often talk about buffing the subclass, and while I do not necessary agree it needs it, I thought of a quick "fix".
It seems that in tasha's, a fair number of subclass options have a free use of a spell once a day before you need to spend ressource on it. What if it was applied to the monk discipline? I haven't given in dept thoughts on balance, but it doesn't seems overpowered if it recharge on long rest, and would encourage players to use different options (you still have the opportunity cost, but you remove the ressource cost). It would become stronger late game but since monks tend to fall off a bit late game, it shouldn't be that bad.
it might also encourage taking usually discarded disciplines.

What do you think?

whateew
2021-03-11, 09:07 PM
I think the 4 elements monk was never a really bad subclass, it just never lived up to it's concept. Fist of unbroken air and water whip are good disciplines (too bad water whip was changed to an action tho) provide good control options at range with decent damage. It also provide options most other monk subclass do not. Such as fly and AOE.

Now with the new features added with tasha, the subclass become less clunky and allow the mechanics of the monk chassis and the subclass to work in a more fluid way.

I'm gonna take the opportunity of this thread, to ask peoples opinion on an idea I had a few days ago. People often talk about buffing the subclass, and while I do not necessary agree it needs it, I thought of a quick "fix".
It seems that in tasha's, a fair number of subclass options have a free use of a spell once a day before you need to spend ressource on it. What if it was applied to the monk discipline? I haven't given in dept thoughts on balance, but it doesn't seems overpowered if it recharge on long rest, and would encourage players to use different options (you still have the opportunity cost, but you remove the ressource cost). It would become stronger late game but since monks tend to fall off a bit late game, it shouldn't be that bad.

What do you think?

On the one hand, I really like the concept. My issue with the subclass is it doesn't really feel special - the drunken master gets to sway with every attack and the open hand sends you prone regularly, but the spells are rare to use and have a step cost. This is a nice way to try and fix that issue.

However, are you giving all of the spells a free use? I fear that could start being a little too impactful as the monk gets more and more spells - perhaps instead adjust the ki cost of the spells? Perhaps the first use of each discipline costs 1 less ki, or maybe even give this monk an extra ki total equal to your proficiency bonus (perhaps because this monk is the most magical in tune, it makes sense?) Like this, you can also get extra usage out of the discipline, but without the risk of a player getting 2 impactful disciplines for free?

Another suggestion: with so few disciplines known, it feels like the Monk doesn't get a lot of fun choices, and I feel like this subclass should be the subclass of choices - how would you feel about giving the monk an additional discipline known to start, or possibly more?

x3n0n
2021-03-11, 09:31 PM

What do you think?

The two things that I would do are:
* "Elemental Attunement" doesn't use a discipline slot, so you get to select 2 "real" disciplines at 3rd level and
* as you said, you get one use of each known discipline per long rest; you can choose to spend ki according to the normal rubric instead of doing your "free" use for the day.

(The option to pay ki is so that you can intentionally use Ki-Fueled Attack, even on your first "casting" of the day.)

The ki cost is always significant, but at levels 3-5, it feels REALLY punishing to get 1-2 uses of a 2-ki discipline per short rest, especially in a party that may take 0 or 1 short rests per day.
That single free use can be half or a third of your uses for the day at 3rd level, but it gets less and less impactful as time goes on.

The other weird thing about Elemonk is that the disciplines are the only feature. Compare to the Eldritch Knight and Arcane Trickster, who get spells, spell slots, *and* other synergistic subclass features. That's not as easy to patch.

As far as the larger question associated with this thread, the combination of Dedicated Weapon (for a ranged option like light crossbow or shortbow) and Ki-Fueled Attack are significant improvements for Elemonk and Way of Shadow. (For example, Thunderwave/Shatter from a medium distance, arrow or crossbow bolt to take down a survivor.)

whateew
2021-03-11, 09:46 PM
The two things that I would do are:
* "Elemental Attunement" doesn't use a discipline slot, so you get to select 2 "real" disciplines at 3rd level and
* as you said, you get one use of each known discipline per long rest; you can choose to spend ki according to the normal rubric instead of doing your "free" use for the day.

(The option to pay ki is so that you can intentionally use Ki-Fueled Attack, even on your first "casting" of the day.)

The ki cost is always significant, but at levels 3-5, it feels REALLY punishing to get 1-2 uses of a 2-ki discipline per short rest, especially in a party that may take 0 or 1 short rests per day.
That single free use can be half or a third of your uses for the day at 3rd level, but it gets less and less impactful as time goes on.

The other weird thing about Elemonk is that the disciplines are the only feature. Compare to the Eldritch Knight and Arcane Trickster, who get spells, spell slots, *and* other synergistic subclass features. That's not as easy to patch.

As far as the larger question associated with this thread, the combination of Dedicated Weapon (for a ranged option like light crossbow or shortbow) and Ki-Fueled Attack are significant improvements for Elemonk and Way of Shadow. (For example, Thunderwave/Shatter from a medium distance, arrow or crossbow bolt to take down a survivor.)

One thing worth noting is that while the ED and AT get more spell slots and can cast more (without giving up core bits of their class!), the monk gets spells on a short rest, almost like a mini warlock. That being said, I'm 100% with you, this is still underwhelming compared to the other subclasses with lots of options.

Perhaps they should get something similar to the disadvantage on saves mechanic that the rogue and fighter get as an addition - perhaps at 6th or 10th level, any creature damaged by / failing a save from a subclass discipline should receive disadvantage on the next stunning strike save? Or is this outright oppressive?

I love the solution of giving elemental attunement for free!

Chronic
2021-03-11, 09:47 PM
It's actually my main problem with the subclass, you don't get enough disciplines. In my games you can take a feat for 1 additional ki point and 2 disciplines.
I must admit I love ribbons and semi useful options as long as it do not deprive you of other useful options, and the subclass is made for this kind of things.

For the free use of disciplines my first thoughts were "keep it simple" so it would work for any disciplines. Some of them are fairly powerful, but considering the level you get them and the low number of disciplines the subclass gets, it will be only 2 free spells before lvl 11, 3 before 17 and 4 after per long rest. On top of that I consider Fist of unbroken air and water whip to be mandatory, and the free use of those spells are nice early but fairly irrelevant at high level where the cost become a non issue. Seems OK to me but I might be wrong.

Jerrykhor
2021-03-11, 09:50 PM

I always wonder why this doesn't get enough attention. Most people harp on the Ki cost for Disciplines when talking about 4elements, but this is one of the more puzzling things about them.

Imagine if all the Eldritch Knight's features were replaced by only +1 wizard spell each. That would REALLY suck.

whateew
2021-03-11, 09:56 PM
I always wonder why this doesn't get enough attention. Most people harp on the Ki cost for Disciplines when talking about 4elements, but this is one of the more puzzling things about them.

Imagine if all the Eldritch Knight's features were replaced by only +1 wizard spell each. That would REALLY suck.

Absolutely agree here. Maybe we could give it a shot creating those features?

Perhaps the following:
from 3rd level, your quarterstaff is permanently under the affects of shillelagh (lets you focus on wis for your spells, seems appropriate)

from 6th level, perhaps you could get a spell to cast for free once per long rest - a social spell maybe, since the monk kinda doesn't have a lot to do out of combat?

from 11th level, any enemy you damage with a discipline has disadvantage on the next save you force them to make

from 17th level, perhaps you can cast guardian of nature on yourself for free / 3 ki points? Seems to fit the elemental nature vibe, and far less powerful than the 10d10 palm

PattThe
2021-03-11, 10:03 PM
At least you have the optional feature to make any weapon your monk weapon after a rest. Does that open up anything?

whateew
2021-03-11, 10:07 PM
At least you have the optional feature to make any weapon your monk weapon after a rest. Does that open up anything?

I don't really think that adds a ton to the monk. Dealing 1d10 over 1d8 is not a massive difference, although having a whip might help the monk keep their distance.

MrStabby
2021-03-11, 10:15 PM
Yes it is a big boost to the monk. No, it doesn't mean its OK.

For me the biggest problem is their spells and their progression. It is too slow. The spells don't match what the class needs.

Step by step you get your spells at the point in the game where they are no longer fun. Fireball is fun and all, but waiting till you are over twice the level the rest of the party was when they began casting it kind of sucks. That new cool thing you could do is old. This and too much of what the spells do are damage or are just bad spells.

The concept of a spellcasting monk is cool but it really needs the kind of spell that stays fun and cool for many more levels. If a spellcasting monk could cast bless, counterspell, holy weapon, shield, wrathful smite, banishment... then it would be more viable. Spells that get a bit obseclescent at the time when this is happening just sucks.

Chronic
2021-03-11, 10:19 PM
"from 3rd level, your quarterstaff is permanently under the affects of shillelagh (lets you focus on wis for your spells, seems appropriate)"

This is actually a excellent idea.
Would it be too much to simply allow the 4 elements to use wis for weapon and martial art attacks? Mostly to a avoid using different attack modifiers and some potential wording issues.

whateew
2021-03-11, 10:23 PM
"from 3rd level, your quarterstaff is permanently under the affects of shillelagh (lets you focus on wis for your spells, seems appropriate)"

This is actually a excellent idea.
Would it be too much to simply allow the 4 elements to use wis for weapon and martial art attacks? Mostly to a avoid using different attack modifiers and some potential wording issues.

I have home-brewed an eldritch knight, but for a monk and based of druid spells, who uses this as an idea. I personally quite enjoy it as a concept, but I understand why it makes some people worried - stunning strike DC, AC, and spell saves all increasing could be a worrying prospect, but I feel it is counterbalanced by the ki cost of the rest of the tool kit.
Then again, mercy monk doesn't require saves for its bonus damage... so why not give the elemental monk a little love? I'm also worried about stepping on the astral self's niche however...

x3n0n
2021-03-11, 10:45 PM

I mentioned it above, and don't know if it got noticed: Dedicated Weapon can be any weapon that the character is proficient with and is neither heavy nor special. Of note, that includes all of the simple ranged weapons: asking, light crossbow, and shortbow.

That, in turn, allows for ranged follow-ups via Ki-Fueled Attack when an Elemonk or Shadow Monk uses a discipline/spell. (And the weapon damage scales with Martial Arts as a bonus.)

whateew
2021-03-11, 10:52 PM
I mentioned it above, and don't know if it got noticed: Dedicated Weapon can be any weapon that the character is proficient with and is neither heavy nor special. Of note, that includes all of the simple ranged weapons: asking, light crossbow, and shortbow.

That, in turn, allows for ranged follow-ups via Ki-Fueled Attack when an Elemonk or Shadow Monk uses a discipline/spell. (And the weapon damage scales with Martial Arts as a bonus.)

The range is noteworthy, but the monk does already get darts. The extra damage is slight, and while a monk that casts shatter and shoots with an xbow seems quite neat, you'll run out of ki past. The rest of the features don't really work with this (except for maybe a keep away monk using the unbroken fist and then a bolt to the knee?)

x3n0n
2021-03-11, 11:33 PM
The range is noteworthy, but the monk does already get darts. The extra damage is slight, and while a monk that casts shatter and shoots with an xbow seems quite neat, you'll run out of ki past. The rest of the features don't really work with this (except for maybe a keep away monk using the unbroken fist and then a bolt to the knee?)

Not sure if we are talking about the same thing. The Monk is proficient in all simple weapons, and the Monk has darts as starting equipment, but darts are not "monk weapons" according to the definition in the Martial Arts feature: "monk weapons, which are shortswords and any simple melee weapons that don’t have the two-handed or heavy property".

So, unless you use Dedicated Weapon (or Kensei), no ranged weapon is a monk weapon. That would render all ranged weapons ineligible for Ki-Fueled Attack (and prevent their damage dice from scaling with Martial Arts).

whateew
2021-03-11, 11:46 PM
Not sure if we are talking about the same thing. The Monk is proficient in all simple weapons, and the Monk has darts as starting equipment, but darts are not "monk weapons" according to the definition in the Martial Arts feature: "monk weapons, which are shortswords and any simple melee weapons that don’t have the two-handed or heavy property".

So, unless you use Dedicated Weapon (or Kensei), no ranged weapon is a monk weapon. That would render all ranged weapons ineligible for Ki-Fueled Attack (and prevent their damage dice from scaling with Martial Arts).

Oh! You are very right, that's a massively important distinction. Shocking it was ever like this though...

Foxhound438
2021-03-11, 11:48 PM

if nothing else, you can actually use the cool magic longswords you tend to find with your monk features.

HPisBS
2021-03-12, 02:50 AM
The bonus action attack and +1 extra (temporary) monk weapon are significant, and do more to help 4E than most other Monks, but that alone still isn't really enough, imo.

It's actually my main problem with the subclass, you don't get enough disciplines. In my games you can take a feat for 1 additional ki point and 2 disciplines.
I must admit I love ribbons and semi useful options as long as it do not deprive you of other useful options, and the subclass is made for this kind of things.

That's what my fix (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?615777-4-Elements-Monk-Revamped) focused on: giving the 4E Monk some minor enhancements at lvl 3/6/11/17 to go with their elemental disciplines.

Air 1) If you know at least one discipline that is specifically related to air, you gain the following additional benefits:

You know the Gust cantrip.
When you use Step of the Wind to Dash, you can do so at double speed. Dashing never cause you exhaustion.

Air 2) If you know at least two disciplines that are specifically related to air, you gain the following additional benefits:

The distance and height you can jump increases by an amount equal to your speed increase from Unarmored Movement, and the distance you can fall without taking damage increases by the same amount. Additionally, when you use your Slow Fall reaction, you may apply its damage reduction to another creature you're holding onto.
As a bonus action, you can use ki to wrap strong, rapidly oscillating winds around all daggers and darts you wield for 1 minute. When you do so, they act as magical monk weapons with a bonus to attack and damage rolls of +1 per 2 ki points spent whenever you attack with them. You may also activate this ability as part of your Deflect Missiles reaction, and it applies to any such missiles you throw.

Water 1) If you know at least one discipline that is specifically related to water, you gain the following additional benefits:

You know the Shape Water cantrip.
When you Disengage, you can shape nearby water into heavy fog. You may choose to center this fog on you, or on the space you occupy when you Disengage. The fog heavily obscures that space until the start of your next turn. You may then choose to return the water to its previous location, such as an open water flask.

Water 2) If you know at least two disciplines that are specifically related to water, you gain the following additional benefits:

When you Disengage, you can use nearby water to create an area of icy, difficult terrain along any 15 ft you travel after Disengaging. Other creatures must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw upon entering this area or else fall prone. This effect ends at the start of your next turn, at which time, you may choose to return the water to its previous location.
You can make nearby water form a tendril that wraps around your free hand, which you can use to make magical unarmed attacks with a range of 10 ft.

Earth 1) If you know at least one discipline that is specifically related to earth, you gain the following additional benefits:

You know the Mold Earth cantrip.
As an unarmed attack, you can stomp on earthen or stony ground, causing it to reach up and grab a creature standing on the same surface within 15' feet of you. The creature must make a Dexterity save or be grappled until the start of your next turn. The effect ends early if the creature succeeds on a Strength (Athletics) check against your ki save DC. A Huge or larger creature has advantage on both the save and Athletics check.

Earth 2) If you know at least two disciplines that are specifically related to earth, you gain the following additional benefits:

Pebbles become magical ranged monk weapons for you with a range of 20/60 ft. You may throw a pebble within 5 ft of you without touching it.
When you Dodge, you can spend ki to cover parts of your body with nearby rocks, increasing your AC by 1 per 2 ki points spent for 1 minute.

Fire 1) If you know at least one discipline that is specifically related to fire, you gain the following additional benefits:

You know the Control Flames cantrip.
As a bonus action, you can breathe fire and cause flames to brightly flare up from your hands or weapon(s). When you do so, one creature of your choice within your melee range must succeed on a Wisdom save or be frightened of you until the end of your next turn. A creature has advantage on this save if you use it again without dealing fire damage to it. Any creature with resistance or immunity to fire damage is immune to this effect.
You can use this feature a number of times equal to your Wisdom modifier. You regain all uses when you finish a long rest.

Fire 2) If you know at least two disciplines that are specifically related to fire, you gain the following additional benefits:
You know the Produce Flame cantrip.
As a reaction when you take fire or lightning damage, you may roll your martial arts die to reduce that damage by the number you roll + your Wisdom modifier. When you do so, you may redirect that same damage at a different creature within 5 ft of you by making a melee spell attack. Alternatively, you may spend 1 ki point to redirect the damage using a ranged spell attack with a range of 15/30 ft. Wisdom is your attack modifier for this feature.

Further specialization into a single element functions the same way for each element.

Once per turn, if you know 3 disciplines related to the same element, you may add 1d6 to one associated damage roll once per turn.
If you know 4 disciplines related to the same element, then choose one of those disciplines; you now use that discipline as a bonus action instead of an action. You may choose a different discipline whenever you finish a long rest.
If you know 5 disciplines related to the same element, you may spend 6 ki points to cast the associated Investiture spell.

- If you know a discipline that has an ambiguous relation to two or more of these elements, then you decide which one to count it as.

Lastly, there obviously aren't enough RAW disciplines to specialize in each element, so here's a list to fill in the holes. Plus enhancements to a couple of the old ones.

Air:
Aegis of the Whirlwind - 2 ki pts to cast Warding Wind
Waves of Rising Air (6th Level Required) - 3 ki pts to cast Wind Wall
Leap of Rushing Winds (11th Level Required) - 4 ki pts to cast Thunder Step

Water:
Freezing Wake - 2 ki pts to create an area of icy difficult terrain, as per the Grease spell.
Talon of the Snowy Owl - 2 ki pts to cast Ice Knife
Thirst of the Whales - 2 ki pts to cast Create or Destroy Water
Wave of Rising Waters (6th Level Required) - 3 ki pts to cast Water Wall
Wrath of the Raging Tide (11th Level Required) - 4 ki pts to cast Tidal Wave
Grasp of the Merciless Seas (17th Level Required) - 5 ki pts to cast Watery Sphere

Earth:
Step of Roiling Ground - 2 ki pts to cast Earth Tremor
Swift Stone Guard - 2 ki pts to cast Shield
Arm of the Hills (6th Level Required) - 3 ki pts to cast Maximillian’s Earthen Grasp
Quills of the Earth (6th Level Required) - 3 ki pts to cast Spike Growth
Bursting Mountain (11th Level Required) - 4 ki pts to cast Erupting Earth
Stone as Clay (11th Level Required) - 4 ki pts to cast Stone Shape

Fire:
Fangs of the Fire Snake - Enhancement -- Same as RAW, +

Alternatively, you may activate this discipline without spending any ki points as a bonus action. When you use it in this way, the discipline ends at the end of your turn, unless you use your concentration to maintain it as if concentrating on a spell.
Vengeance of the Fire Ant - 2 ki pts to cast Hellish Rebuke
Flame Darts (6th Level Required) - 3 ki pts to cast Scorching Ray
Sneezing Dragon (6th Level Required) - 3 ki pts to cast Pyrotechnics

Also, for Elemental Attunement:

Elemental Attunement - Enhancement -- Same as Raw, +

You may choose not to learn this discipline. However, if you do know it, then you may treat it the same as knowing 1 discipline related to any element you choose. Also, you may replace that choice with a different element whenever you finish a long rest.
At level 6: You may treat this discipline the same as knowing a discipline related to any two different elements of your choice. You may replace one of these elements whenever you finish a long rest.
At level 11: You may treat this discipline the same as knowing a discipline related to any three different elements of your choice. You may replace one of these elements whenever you finish a long rest.
At level 17: This discipline counts as knowing one discipline of all four elements.

^ This is kinda like if an Eldritch Knight's features changed depending on which schools his spells were in. Since the four elements are so different, and only getting a few disciplines makes each choice so important, I figure tying the elemental disciplines and features together like this makes sense.

if nothing else, you can actually use the cool magic longswords you tend to find with your monk features.

If you're proficient, that is. (So be a wood elf, I guess, if that's your focus.)