PDA

View Full Version : Pearl of Power variants?

aglondier
2021-03-12, 12:22 AM
I love Pearls of Power, and abuse the hell out of them for every wizard character I play. But in our new campaign, our sorceror player is feeling a little left out (and out-gunned).

Is there an equivalent item for spontaneous spellcasters? Or should we be looking from the other direction for him, and increase his spell repertoire?

Crake
2021-03-12, 12:26 AM
I love Pearls of Power, and abuse the hell out of them for every wizard character I play. But in our new campaign, our sorceror player is feeling a little left out (and out-gunned).

Is there an equivalent item for spontaneous spellcasters? Or should we be looking from the other direction for him, and increase his spell repertoire?

There are indeed: Memento Magica are the spontaneous equivalent, they cost the same as a pearl of power of the same level x1.5

Roninblack
2021-03-12, 12:33 AM
Sorcerers also love know stones, as long as they are possessed the sorcerer is treated as knowing the spell in the stone.

sreservoir
2021-03-12, 12:36 AM
There's also the circlet of mages (MIC 86), which is priced kind of like 1st + 2nd memento but can also be spent on a single 3rd, and is pretty good for that considering it's about half the price of a 3rd-level pearl of power. Slotted, but no obvious reason you can't just keep a pile of them and swap them out during the day—you'll just want to keep your head slot otherwise free by attaching the effects you'd want there to another slot.

Crake
2021-03-12, 12:41 AM
Sorcerers also love know stones, as long as they are possessed the sorcerer is treated as knowing the spell in the stone.

Knowstones are pretty useful though it's worth noting that they are dragon material, so not necessarily something you should expect to have access to in a standard game. Worth asking though!

aglondier
2021-03-12, 01:07 AM
Thanks. Between momento magica and knowstones our sorceror is covered.

Fizban
2021-03-12, 01:28 AM
I would note that if Runestaves exist in your game, Knowstones are going to look ridiculously overpriced for anything but the lowest level spells, and the fact that Runestaves are even more powerful for Wizards will only accentuate the over-pricing of Memento Magica further.

I would simply make the pearls usable by anyone, and take a long hard look at whether Runestaves are appropriate if your game has both Sorcerer and Wizard PCs.