PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Which dragon use?

Quentinas
2021-03-12, 05:34 AM
I'm a DM and my players (for now) are on the subterrean part of Ysgard, Nidavellir. They discovered that the third part of a magic item set at which they are interested is in the hoard of a dragon (but the bard was unsure on the type) Why a dragon? Well as that item is for sorcerer it seemed adapt to choose a dragon as who have that item, and Nidavellir (for what I ruled ) have various type of dragons . But my problem is that I didn't control the stats of the dragons so now I have a problem (i will adapt that item so that work even for shadowcasters)
For what I think there should these types of dragon in Ysgard
Battle dragon First part of Ysgard where there are various mountain many floating islands and a continuos fast healing to do more battles
Copper dragon In the first part of Ysgard (for the mountains) and the third part of Ysgard (which is subterrean so an earth subtype should be fine)
Brass dragon First part of Ysgard and second part of Ysgard(Musphelheim)where there are mountains but very similar to the plane of fire for the continuos fire damage
Red dragon Same as Brass dragon
White dragon In general in the first part of Ysgard particularly on a frost island (Jotunheim)
Shadow dragon In the third part of Ysgard as it is covered by darkness and the light doesn't arrive or doesn't work very well
Deep dragon In the deep of the mountain or in the third part of Ysgard as it is subterrean
Pyroclastic dragon In the second part of Ysgard or in the third as there is quite the heat
And ambush drakes but they aren't true dragon (maybe even portal drake )
So as they are in the third part I have as options Copper dragon, Deep dragon, Shadow dragon and Pyroclastic dragon

The party is composed by (i put their saves in order with their stat included)
A lesser drow ranger 3/cleric 3/ Sword dancer 6 (+10/+15/+12)
An hengeyokai factotum 9/dungeon delver 1/ Homebrew class similar to ranger 2 (+8/+16/+6) she has a 22 of intelligence so she can add a +6 to any of her saves
A gnoll duskblade 9 (+12/+8/+6)
A lesser aasimar shadowcaster 6/Master of Shadow 6 (+11/+6/+13) he has a ring of evasion don't ask me why he doesn't give that to someone else
They will gain a level as they have to do various casual encounters so my aim for the dragon encounter will be around 14-15 (difficult or very difficult) and my problem is
The copper dragon (one adult) can be funny and it could be a non combat encounter ,but it seems weak in combat (the spell list can help here)
The deep dragon (one adult) have the various form but he should be in the lair probably so it could use his form to escape but other than that it doesn't have so much (and they don't use many illusions) (the spell list again can help here)
The shadow dragon is not bad but I should use or 2 adults (that can be considering that the adult dragon search a mate generally) , or giving the adult dragon 1 or 2 class level. His breath should not be so difficult to evitate for the hengeyokai and for the lesser drow but the rest could be quite hurt with 3 negative levels
And finally the pyroclastic dragon that was the dragon which I was thinking at the start (an adult pyroclastic dragon) as enemy for this encounter, but then I read his breath and... a 26 on fortitude or you are disintegrated seriously?

So I was thinking at two shadow dragon, with one that ambush from above (he can be detected by the shadow elemental I'm not thinking at giving shadowstalker to him) , but which dragon would you use? Or there is any suggestions that I should give to my players or any other types of dragon that could be an interesting (but not impossible ) encounter?

Akal Saris
2021-03-13, 01:31 PM
I think that either shadow or deep dragons would be interesting encounters for the party. The deep dragon is interesting because I've seen in some sourcebooks that they have close ties to drow, so you could use that to build out an encounter where the dragon is open to diplomacy. The shadow dragon fight seems like it would be a good challenge, but level drain is always a pain for PCs.