PDA

View Full Version : Cantrips help on weird build

RingoBongo
2021-03-12, 11:47 AM
So I'm building my first monk with a cleric dip + feats that grant some extra spells.

Lotusden halfling, way of mercy/ tempest cleric

Progression: monk 5, cleric 1, monk 12.... Then idk. But that's a decision for later. Currently we start at level 5

Str 8
Dex 15+2 (racial) +1 (starting half feat) = 18
Con 15 (+1 for lvl 4 feat aberrant dragonmark -- shield + ???? Idk what cantrip)
Int 10
Wis 15+1 (racial)
Cha 10

Later feats: fey Touched wisdom (gift of alacrity), and shadow touched wisdom (silent Image).

Got everything else sorted... Except cantrips. I'll have 3 (maybe 4 if it goes that long) cleric cantrips. And one from sorcerer with greater dragonmark.... Having a hard time deciding here... I think guidance and toll of the dead maybe for cleric? But when I look sorcerer cantrips I have a really hard time deciding at all. I want to say booming blade but I'm not sure.

So how bout it? What cantrips would you take here?

Nefariis
2021-03-12, 12:10 PM
Booming Blade isn't on the Cleric spell list

I would go with Mending, Light, Guidance, Toll the Dead.

Mending/Light come up more than you would think and Guidance is invaluable to any party situation. Finally, Toll the dead is probably the best damaging cantrip in the game.

x3n0n
2021-03-12, 12:24 PM
So I'm building my first monk with a cleric dip + feats that grant some extra spells.

Lotusden halfling, way of mercy/ tempest cleric

Progression: monk 5, cleric 1, monk 12.... Then idk. But that's a decision for later. Currently we start at level 5

Str 8
Dex 15+2 (racial) +1 (starting half feat) = 18
Con 15 (+1 for lvl 4 feat aberrant dragonmark -- shield + ???? Idk what cantrip)
Int 10
Wis 15+1 (racial)
Cha 10

Later feats: fey Touched wisdom (gift of alacrity), and shadow touched wisdom (silent Image).

Got everything else sorted... Except cantrips. I'll have 3 (maybe 4 if it goes that long) cleric cantrips. And one from sorcerer with greater dragonmark.... Having a hard time deciding here... I think guidance and toll of the dead maybe for cleric? But when I look sorcerer cantrips I have a really hard time deciding at all. I want to say booming blade but I'm not sure.

So how bout it? What cantrips would you take here?

For Cleric:
Guidance unless you have some strong reason not to.
The boring pick is to take both Sacred Flame and Toll the Dead. (Sacred Flame is "not as good", but sometimes you really want radiant damage; you've already got Hand of Harm for necrotic.)
If you decide you don't want all 3 of those, you're left with your favorite among Light, Mending, Thaumaturgy, Word of Radiance, and Resistance. <shrug>

For Sorcerer:

*If* you're eventually taking Tempest Cleric 2, then Booming Blade looks not horrible since you can max the damage die once per short rest.
However, Booming Blade in general has anti-synergy with Extra Attack classes and Way of Mercy in particular since you often want to be using the Attack action (not cantrip) and with unarmed strikes (which don't work with Booming Blade at most tables).

Maybe Mind Sliver? It targets one of the least-resisted saves (Int), deals crappy amount of damage, but of a good type (psychic), and (most importantly) messes up their next save, so you might be able to use it on approach and then Stunning Strike them (or just have one of the other casters on your team take advantage).

If not combat, lots of good utility choices on the Sorcerer list: Mage Hand, Minor Illusion, Message, Mold Earth, Shape Water.

GentlemanVoodoo
2021-03-12, 04:51 PM
Depending on how you go about it, Booming Blade or Shocking Grasp. BB would pair nicely with weapons of which it can be used with unarmed strikes. Though Shocking Grasp does have the nice effect of canceling a foe's reaction. But these will require some later level dips or reconsideration of feat choice to get Magic Initiate.

If going only with what you have access to as a cleric, most of what has already been suggested will work. Only other real option might be Word of Radiance. The Con save is a bit of a bummer but it is basically a radiant shotgun and can work since you will be on the front lines.

RingoBongo
2021-03-12, 10:36 PM
Booming Blade isn't on the Cleric spell list

I would go with Mending, Light, Guidance, Toll the dead... Finally, Toll the dead is probably the best damaging cantrip in the game.

You are right-- booming blade is not on the cleric cantrips list, BUT it is on the sorcerer spells list which I get one cantrip from the aberrant dragonmark feat.

Also, I think toll of the dead, flavor wise pairs nicely with hands of harm. Plus decent damage.

For Cleric:
Guidance unless you have some strong reason not to...

For Sorcerer:

*If* you're eventually taking Tempest Cleric 2, then Booming Blade looks not horrible since you can max the damage die once per short rest.
However, Booming Blade in general has anti-synergy with Extra Attack classes and Way of Mercy in particular since you often want to be using the Attack action (not cantrip) and with unarmed strikes (which don't work with Booming Blade at most tables).

Maybe Mind Sliver? It targets one of the least-resisted saves (Int), deals crappy amount of damage, but of a good type (psychic), and (most importantly) messes up their next save, so you might be able to use it on approach and then Stunning Strike them (or just have one of the other casters on your team take advantage).

If not combat, lots of good utility choices on the Sorcerer list: Mage Hand, Minor Illusion, Message, Mold Earth, Shape Water.

For sure guidance...

And I think I like mind sliver here actually, feels right to be support and set up a teammate in mid range or myself even with stunning strike. Though it does cue off my con mod (+3) with aberrant dragonmark... but as you say it is a weak save and decent rider. It's the closing range spell go to unless I'm burning down mooks with toll of the dead or a shortbow.

Depending on how you go about it, Booming Blade or Shocking Grasp. BB would pair nicely with weapons of which it can be used with unarmed strikes. Though Shocking Grasp does have the nice effect of canceling a foe's reaction. But these will require some later level dips or reconsideration of feat choice to get Magic Initiate.

If going only with what you have access to as a cleric, most of what has already been suggested will work. Only other real option might be Word of Radiance. The Con save is a bit of a bummer but it is basically a radiant shotgun and can work since you will be on the front lines.

I had considered magic initiative... But I want to round my wisdom to 18 at level 12. So I pump fey Touched and shadow touched (or chef!) feats (with +1 wisdom each) along the way at 8 and 12.

So I'll end up with...

Druidcraft (lotusden halfling thing)
Guidance
Toll of the dead
??? Light (no dark vision)
Mind sliver

Greywander
2021-03-12, 11:34 PM
My initial feeling is that monks don't have much need for damage cantrips, as you'll be able to outdamage any cantrip by using your weapons/fists. That said, Word of Radiance does stand out as an AoE effect, IIRC past calculations have always pointed toward needing to hit three or more enemies to make it better than a regular attack. Sacred Flame or Toll the Dead can provide a ranged option, but you can already use darts and shortbows.

Personally, I really like utility cantrips, so Mending, Thaumaturgy, and Light would be easy picks if I was a monk dipping cleric. Guidance is popular, and effective, but it's also kind of boring. It's nice for someone to have it, though, and it can make you a nice out-of-combat support character.

For sorcerer, you probably don't want anything that will care about your spellcasting ability (IIRC the aberrant dragonmark uses CON for casting?), so Booming Blade would be a viable damage cantrip. Sorcerers also have access to a lot more utility cantrips that clerics can't get.