PDA

View Full Version : Barbarian Path of the Beast + Moon Druid

nickl_2000
2021-03-12, 03:47 PM
So, on Barbarian Path of the beast is says

"Once on each of your turns when you attack with a claw using the Attack action, you can make one additional claw attack as part of the same action."

Many beasts, including the Tiger, Saber Toothed Tiger, Bears, Lion all have a Claw attack does that mean you can make 2 in one round when you take an attack action (instead of the one in a stat block)?

And yes, I know the real answer is ask your DM, but would you allow it?

Amnestic
2021-03-12, 04:00 PM
I do not think this is an intentional interaction. I would not have a problem with it.

The opportunity cost of:-
Minimum of Barb 3/Druid 2+
Strength and Wis 13 for multiclassing (when moon druids usually want to dump strength)
Competing bonus actions for rage and wild shape
Expends wild shape and rage as a resource.

All to upgrade your claws from 1d6 to, at best(?), 2d6?

Go nuts, honestly.

GentlemanVoodoo
2021-03-12, 04:39 PM
Agree with Amnestic. Based on the reading of the entry in Form of the Beast, even if the Multiattack action was used with most of the animals you listed it only amounts to one extra hit in the turn. And at 1d6 damage it is essentially Fury of Blows for animals with lower static damage.

LumenPlacidum
2021-03-12, 05:30 PM
I ran through some calculations for this very idea, and it's OKAY, but you have to factor in to-hit bonus. The biggest problem with moon druids as a martial chassis is that the to-hit bonus of the creature's attack is static.

At level 5, you probably have Barbarian 3 / Druid 2.
At level 9, you probably have Barbarian 3 / Druid 6.
At level 11, you probably have Barbarian 5 / Druid 6.
I always assume AC 18 and +4 on all saves for a dummy target.

Dinosaurs:
Level 5, Deinonychus form: 17.58 expected damage.
Level 9, Allosaurus form: 28.46 expected damage.
Level 11, Allosaurus form: 33.63 expected damage.

Cats:
Level 5, Tiger form: 15.56 expected damage.
Level 9, Saber-toothed tiger form: 30.15 expected damage.
Level 11, Saber-toothed tiger form: 40.6 expected damage.

Bears:
Level 5, Brown bear form: 19.5 expected damage.
Level 9, Polar bear form: 22.37 expected damage.
Level 11, Polar bear form: 33.55 expected damage.

For this strategy, the cats are, generally, king. Brown bears early on, though. Bears don't scale as well because they're based on the Multiattack action, which doesn't synergize too well with the Beast claws benefit (you're not taking the Attack action).

After that, it's probably a good idea to shift over to using the tail from Beast Barbarian for defense. I would probably go to level 14 (bbn 5/ dru 9) and choose the Giant Snapping Turtle with the tail from beast barbarian, for solid defense! You can still go saber-toothed tiger for damage, but the snapping turtle does an acceptable 30.63 damage. Foes have advantage to attack you (from reckless attack), but your AC is 17 and you subtract 1d8 from enemy attacks.

At level 17 (bbn 5 / dru 12), the stegosaurus finally improves your damage potential. It will do an expected 46.1 damage. The elephant does also (45.27), but not as much and has a lower AC.

That said, at level 15, you get elemental shapes. These do not synergize with your barbarian levels at all. They have multiattack, and no special circumstances where they get an extra damaging attack.

Honorable mention goes to Quetzalcoatlus. At level 13 (bbn 5/dru 8), they have two massive bite attacks and flyby. They do 32.97 damage with two bites, and they have all the benefits of a fast, flyby form. Go with the defensive tail for them, too, although it won't help much.

Oh, and regarding the intended interactions, consider the difference between the Bite option and the Claws option for path of the beast. Bite says "when you damage a creature with this bite" (emphasis mine) and Claws says "when you attack with a claw using the Attack action" (again, emphasis mine). There is a definite switch from one article to another between the different abilities. I think it's intended, personally.

Unoriginal
2021-03-13, 05:43 AM
So, on Barbarian Path of the beast is says

"Once on each of your turns when you attack with a claw using the Attack action, you can make one additional claw attack as part of the same action."

Many beasts, including the Tiger, Saber Toothed Tiger, Bears, Lion all have a Claw attack does that mean you can make 2 in one round when you take an attack action (instead of the one in a stat block)?

And yes, I know the real answer is ask your DM, but would you allow it?

Path of the Beast makes you grow claws regardless of what your current body has, so a Moon Druid could use that option in any Wildshape.