PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder two seperate SRDS

Shinoskay
2021-03-12, 04:49 PM
If I have two seperate SRD's;

can I cherry pick the best from both?

do I have to choose one or the other?

What if theres different ways to use an ability in the srd?

example, the skunk. Theres the standard bestiary srd and then tomes of horror srd.

the standard has 15 dex and ranged musk. tomes of horror has more skills, an additional feat, 5 foot musk cloud, but 13 dex.

Kurald Galain
2021-03-12, 05:02 PM
do I have to choose one or the other?
Ask your GM. Generally speaking, Paizo material takes precedence over third party (Tomes of Horror is from a company that I've never heard of).

Eldonauran
2021-03-12, 06:06 PM
It is best to use material from Archives of Nethys, as it hosts only first party material. The material at d20pfsrd is not all first party. Tome of Horrors Complete is from Frog God Games, a 3rd party creator.

Shinoskay
2021-03-12, 06:51 PM
It is best to use material from Archives of Nethys, as it hosts only first party material. The material at d20pfsrd is not all first party. Tome of Horrors Complete is from Frog God Games, a 3rd party creator.

oh, that def clears up the issue.

thank you.

Rynjin
2021-03-12, 07:15 PM
I do want to point out that it's not that simple. Tome of Horrors is indeed third party, by Frog God, but many Tome of Horrors monsters ARE used in official material (modules and Adventure Paths) and sometimes reprinted in official bestiaries later.

Basically, if there are two of the same monster, use the official version. If there's only one, then use that if the AP/Module references it.

Eldonauran
2021-03-12, 08:00 PM
I do want to point out that it's not that simple. Tome of Horrors is indeed third party, by Frog God, but many Tome of Horrors monsters ARE used in official material (modules and Adventure Paths) and sometimes reprinted in official bestiaries later.
If they have been reprinted in 1st party material, they should have a 1st party source listed in their entry and should be viewable on archives of nethys. I'm not sure what about that makes it complicated.

Rynjin
2021-03-12, 08:23 PM
If they have been reprinted in 1st party material, they should have a 1st party source listed in their entry and should be viewable on archives of nethys. I'm not sure what about that makes it complicated.

Not all have been reprinted, IIRC. And even if they were, I was just pointing out that "it's 3rd party" is not an indicator of how official the material is in this case. Almost all of Tome of Horrors was basically outsourced work on Paizo's part; it's basically "2nd party" (like companies like Rare partnering with Nintendo).