PDA

View Full Version : Wand Spell Attack

furby076
2021-03-12, 10:21 PM
So I have a wand of SPiritual Hammer that is cast as a 6th level spell caster. I assume the damage is 3d8 +2. Is this correct?

Also, what is the attack roll d20 + ???

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2021-03-12, 10:26 PM
You need to be a spellcaster to attune to a wand, so it uses your proficiency bonus and spellcasting ability modifier, same as any spell attack.

furby076
2021-03-12, 10:36 PM
Thanks for the clarity. So proficiency bonus 3, and Int bonus of +5 = +8 to attack

Lunali
2021-03-12, 11:51 PM
There are no official wands that have attack rolls, the ones that have saving throws include DCs for their saves. It is entirely up to the DM whether the wand uses your spellcasting ability, the ability of the creator, or some baseline level that the DM chooses.

As for the damage, similar issues apply, does the wand cast it as a 2nd level spell or a 3rd level spell? A 6th level caster could do either and the damage would be different depending on their choice. Does it use the creator's ability score, your ability score, or some baseline chosen by the DM?

If I were creating the item it would have 7 charges, 1 charge to cast at 2nd level, 1 for every level over that, 1d6+1 recharge daily, if you use the last charge roll d20, destroy the wand on a 1. The attack bonus would be +7 and the damage would be 1d8+4 (+1d8 per level).

Witty Username
2021-03-13, 04:48 PM
I would use the wielder's spell attack modifier, maybe with the ability score used based on the creator of the wand. Aiming is your job after all.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2021-03-13, 05:35 PM
There are no official wands that have attack rolls....

Wand of Viscid Globs from Out of the Abyss makes a spell attack, using the wielder's proficiency bonus and spellcasting ability modifier.