PDA

View Full Version : Editing barbarian rage restrictions

Elves
2021-03-13, 03:56 PM
Anyone else think the command word activated magic item ban during barbarian rage is unfair, especially in light of the prominence these items gained during the MIC era, and should be patched out?

Starbuck_II
2021-03-14, 06:48 PM
Anyone else think the command word activated magic item ban during barbarian rage is unfair, especially in light of the prominence these items gained during the MIC era, and should be patched out?

True, but in early 3.5, you could just activate flaming sword before raging.
Could just make an exception for MIC items?

Maat Mons
2021-03-14, 07:46 PM
I think most of the restrictions imposed by Rage should be patched out. That's why I'm such a big fan of Torque of Lucid Raging.

liquidformat
2021-03-14, 08:09 PM

If you can still hurl coherent insults at enemies it seems reasonable that you could still say a command word. It also bugs me you can't dervish dance while raging, I think they were trying to prevent a problem that just isn't there...

Fouredged Sword
2021-03-16, 10:33 AM
I think a more thematic and cool restriction would be not on the type of magic items that can be used, but on the nature of the use of those items.

"While in a rage a character cannot activate any magic item that does not attack one of their enemies or move the user closer to making an attack. While in a rage and fighting an enemy on a higher platform a barbarian could activate a command word item of the jump spell, but not a command word item of the mage armor spell. The jump spell fills his rage's need to reach his enemy and do violence. The mage armor spell does not. Likewise a raging barbarian can just as easily activate a command word item that uses an attack spell like scorching ray as they can throw a weapon."

illyahr
2021-03-17, 09:19 AM
Yeah, command word activation items should be usable in a rage as long as it isn't a complex effect.

liquidformat
2021-03-17, 11:45 AM
I think a more thematic and cool restriction would be not on the type of magic items that can be used, but on the nature of the use of those items.

"While in a rage a character cannot activate any magic item that does not attack one of their enemies or move the user closer to making an attack. While in a rage and fighting an enemy on a higher platform a barbarian could activate a command word item of the jump spell, but not a command word item of the mage armor spell. The jump spell fills his rage's need to reach his enemy and do violence. The mage armor spell does not. Likewise a raging barbarian can just as easily activate a command word item that uses an attack spell like scorching ray as they can throw a weapon."

This could be interesting if expanded into magic in general. Maybe a good way to create a barbarian PRC.

Fouredged Sword
2021-03-17, 11:58 AM
This could be interesting if expanded into magic in general. Maybe a good way to create a barbarian PRC.

Rage Mage is an awful PRC and we should erase it from our memories.

illyahr
2021-03-17, 01:21 PM

Except that Rage Mage isn't a thing and people should just homebrew a class that would be better than it isn't.

liquidformat
2021-03-17, 02:15 PM

Just because Rage Mage blows doesn't mean the concept behind it sucks. It wouldn't be that hard to make it a good PRC...

Rynjin
2021-03-17, 02:18 PM
Just because Rage Mage blows doesn't mean the concept behind it sucks. It wouldn't be that hard to make it a good PRC...

Or a class, as Pathfinder did with the Bloodrager (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/hybrid-classes/bloodrager). Or any Barbarian multiclass with some kind of caster with Mad Magic (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/mad-magic-combat/).

Darg
2021-03-17, 07:10 PM

Rage mage isn't actually bad though. Full spellcasting is just too strong. Which I think everyone can agree with even if one thinks the opposite that mundanes are simply too weak.

liquidformat
2021-03-17, 08:38 PM
Rage mage isn't actually bad though. Full spellcasting is just too strong. Which I think everyone can agree with even if one thinks the opposite that mundanes are simply too weak.

yeah it is exponential power increase compared to linear power increase. Exponential will always be superior... So you either work to make mundanes exponentially increase, reduce power of magic, or add more magic to mundanes....