PDA

View Full Version : Inteception vs Deflect Missiles: A case study between fighter and monk

Witty Username
2021-03-13, 04:28 PM
So I was looking at interception and defect missiles and was wondering if this had an effect the monk vs fighter comparisons and role.
Points of comparison
1. Damage prevented is in favor of the monk, 1d10+prof < 1d10+dex bonus + level definitively.
2. Applicability: interception can block damage from any attack while deflect missiles can only block ranged weapon attacks (no blocking great clubs from a hill giant or scorching rays from a mage) meaning the fighter will have more fights where they can use it.
3. the monk can throw the attack back, while the fighter can block for allies. I think this is the point of most complexity. The fighter will be able to use this is much easier to plan and more likely to be relevant to the fight. The monk will need to reduce the attack to 0, have ki, and spend ki the upside being that the damage on the return attack is likely pretty good given most monsters. The fighter can reduce the damage coming into the rogue or the wizard just by standing next to them regardless of what is being fought.

In conclusion, I would say the fighter's interception style will come up in more fights and its ability to block damage going to allies may be vital while the monk ability despite being stronger in amount of damage prevented will have less opportunity to use and its being able to throw an attack back is nice but mitigated by the luck factor of needing to reduce the attack to 0 and providing no benefit if the monk is not targeted. Until later levels where interception is not blocking enough damage anymore to be relevant.

I could also see the argument that the fighters generally greater AC and HP would mean it can survive a less damage reducing effect in comparison to the monk that requires greater effects on its deflect missiles to achieve the same results. This would effect point 1 mostly.

What are your thoughts?

x3n0n
2021-03-13, 05:33 PM
The other point is that the Interception fighting style as printed in Tasha's Cauldron of Everything (as opposed to in the UA) is only applicable to allies, not to yourself: "When a creature you can see hits a target, other than you, within 5 feet of you with an attack [...]".

That makes them pretty incomparable, IMO.

Printed/TCoE/RAW Interception is good when you're standing next to an attractive target (and it, in turn, makes the would-be target less attractive); Deflect Missiles is good when you *are* (or would otherwise be) an attractive target for ranged weapon attacks.
UA Interception (same effect, but allowed to protect yourself with it) would probably be much better than Deflect Missiles; it's like having infinite uses of the Goliath Stone's Endurance, which is already a great combo with effects that want you to preserve THP when hit, especially by melee attacks (consider Armor of Agathys and the like).

Witty Username
2021-03-13, 06:09 PM
Oh, dammit. Didn't see that. Now I feel dumb.

Merudo
2021-03-14, 01:14 AM
The Monk's Deflect Missiles would be better balanced if it could also be used to reduce damage to allies.

Dalinar
2021-03-14, 02:58 AM
Also wanna point out that Deflect Missiles is "free" per se in that you just get it by being a level 3 Monk regardless of subclass; Interception has an opportunity cost in that you can't choose various other nice effects, like +1 AC from your armor, or +2 damage with your one-hander, or the situationally brutal Blind Fighting, or...

Then again, Interception is much more valuable at levels 1 and 2 ;)

All that being said, I think Interception, as an optional feature taken by Fighters and Paladins that are going for a tank role and want to discourage people from attacking their buddies, fits what it does very well. Deflect Missiles is given to every Monk, and makes them sturdier versus enemy ranged weapon attackers specifically, which I guess every Monk wants, plus potentially weaponizes their reaction, which is nice. It feels like it's less specialized by player choices and more specialized by what enemies the DM wants to throw at the Monk player, though. And if you do want to return fire, the cost of Ki that could be used on more Stunning Strikes or whatever might make you think twice. So I think Interception is mechanically cooler, at least. (My completely subjective opinion on the flavor? Catching arrows and bullets out of the sky all day!)