PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Is there any source for a Draconic Pantheon in 5e?

Nikushimi
2021-03-13, 07:26 PM
Hey there! I am preparing a world in which all Deities are Divine Dragons, called "The Dragon Gods".

I was thinking of creating my own, but I know that there exists Dragon Gods already and was looking to use them. The ones I know of are only Bahamut and Tiamat since they are arguably the most famous/well known.

I will most likely be changing a few things (origins, alignment, etc.), but I want a starting point and I can't find anything canon for 5e for the Draconic Pantheon as the PHB does not have all the Dragon Gods (and I know there are more than Tiamat and Bahamut).

Should I just simply use the Forgotten Realms wiki or is there any other source out there that might help?

I mainly want to find a source so my players can have an easy time of finding their Deity should they choose to follow one.

Appreciate it! Thanks!

Naanomi
2021-03-13, 07:53 PM
In 5e? Except for references to Io, only Tiamat and Bahamut get much discussion I’m familiar with. 3e material has a full pantheon... dragonomicon, dragons of Faerun, races of the dragon... minds eye web material had a few as well I think

Gyor
2021-03-13, 08:06 PM
Hey there! I am preparing a world in which all Deities are Divine Dragons, called "The Dragon Gods".

I was thinking of creating my own, but I know that there exists Dragon Gods already and was looking to use them. The ones I know of are only Bahamut and Tiamat since they are arguably the most famous/well known.

I will most likely be changing a few things (origins, alignment, etc.), but I want a starting point and I can't find anything canon for 5e for the Draconic Pantheon as the PHB does not have all the Dragon Gods (and I know there are more than Tiamat and Bahamut).

Should I just simply use the Forgotten Realms wiki or is there any other source out there that might help?

I mainly want to find a source so my players can have an easy time of finding their Deity should they choose to follow one.

Appreciate it! Thanks!

The Forgotten Realms has its own Draconic Pantheon, so while it hasn't been directly mentioned in 5e yet, its just a matter of time till it is.

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Draconic_pantheon

In 3e they even had their own Plane/Afterlife called Dragon Eyrie. The plane is still canon in 5e, although itw current state is unknown.

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Dragon_Eyrie

Unoriginal
2021-03-13, 09:16 PM
As mentioned above, so far only Bahamut and Tiamat got any mention in 5e.

The Forgotten Realms has its own Draconic Pantheon, so while it hasn't been directly mentioned in 5e yet, its just a matter of time till it is.

Or they got retconned, like several other deities. We don't know yet.

EDIT:

The Hydra's MM entry mentions another dragon god, Lernaea. But it also mentions Tiamat killed her.

Naanomi
2021-03-13, 09:28 PM
Or they got retconned, like several other deities
I think we got a shout out to Io also.

I’ll bet we at least get a third ‘main’ God for whenever they decide to do gemstone dragons

Nikushimi
2021-03-13, 09:45 PM
Thanks for the replies.

It's unfortunate that there is nothing on the Draconic Pantheon in 5e. Was hoping maybe something from the Rise of Tiamat or some other supplement might give some insight into the Draconic Pantheon.

So, I guess I will do what I originally planned and that is to look at the old Draconic Pantheon info from 2e and 3.5 for some information and try to figure out the Domains they have for 5e.

I am also planning on making some non-dragon Deities into Dragons who are Deities. Kinda keep it simple that way.

Example: Corellon is a Dragon God, but is primarily worshiped by Elves. He typically appears as an Elf, but is in fact a Divine Dragon.

Just to keep it simple. If anyone knows any more information, or perhaps what domains to give the old Draconic Pantheon such as Hlal, Astilabor, Garyx, etc. (as I recently looked them up to start writing) I would appreciate the feedback! Thanks!

Millstone85
2021-03-14, 06:14 AM
In 5e descriptions of the alliance between red dragons and the gith, there is mention of a consort of Tiamat called Ephelomon.

I had just sorta assumed that he was the god of red dragons, and also that Tiamat got herself the full chromatic harem. Is that right?

Unoriginal
2021-03-14, 06:31 AM
In 5e descriptions of the alliance between red dragons and the gith, there is mention of a consort of Tiamat called Ephelomon.

I had just sorta assumed that he was the god of red dragons, and also that Tiamat got herself the full chromatic harem. Is that right?

Tiamat got herself the full chromatic harem, but there's no indication Ephelomon is a deity. In past editions at least Tiamat's consorts were all of the oldest age category for Dragons, but not divine themselves.

As far as draconic gods go, there is also Kurtulmak, god of the kobolds and vassal of Tiamat.

Gyor
2021-03-14, 08:27 AM
I almost forgot, the Dragon demigod Tchazzar is back alive in 5e. Dude seems to have as many lives as Sharess, but uses them up faster. He keeps dying and coming back.

DragonBaneDM
2021-03-14, 09:45 AM
You might want to incorporate a bit of the Eberron lore. The Thir and Wyrm Ascendant religions especially.

According to them, the world, stars, and Underdark are all dead or sleeping progenitor dragons, and those gods that most races worship? Dragons who attained godhood, and if you work hard (and help the church build its hoard) you can too!

I get the feeling you’re looking for the classic walking-talking gods feel for your pantheon, not the existentialism that Eberron sets, but there’s nothing stopping you from stealing the setup or just using active, anthropomorphic (dracopomorphic?) versions of their gods. Wow oh wow would it be neat to have a conversation with Dol Dorn!

thoroughlyS
2021-03-14, 02:10 PM

Thanks for the replies.

It's unfortunate that there is nothing on the Draconic Pantheon in 5e. Was hoping maybe something from the Rise of Tiamat or some other supplement might give some insight into the Draconic Pantheon.

So, I guess I will do what I originally planned and that is to look at the old Draconic Pantheon info from 2e and 3.5 for some information and try to figure out the Domains they have for 5e.

I am also planning on making some non-dragon Deities into Dragons who are Deities. Kinda keep it simple that way.

Example: Corellon is a Dragon God, but is primarily worshiped by Elves. He typically appears as an Elf, but is in fact a Divine Dragon.
Dragons and related creatures play a large role in my campaign, and I think it is important to keep in mind that the draconic pantheon is a lot like the dwarven pantheon or the elven pantheon (Seldarine). Namely, it is a pantheon of gods that embody the virtues and ideals of dragons. For example, Aastilabor is the goddess of aquisativeness and she provides the innate desire for dragons to amass hoards. Sure, you could stretch that into a god of wealth that other people might want to worship, but her domain is fairly specialized. It seems like you just want the gods in your campaign to also be dragons. For that purpose I would recommend what you touch on in your second post. Just pick a pantheon you like (or build your own) and have them all be dragons. Rename them if you feel like that's appropriate.

For this purpose, I would recommend the Dawn War pantheon. It was designed for a world where everyone shared the same pantheon, which is what it sounds like you are doing.

If you still would rather try to adapt the printed draconic pantheon, the best sources are v3.5 Races of the Dragon, 2e Draconomicon, and the 4E Draconomicons (found under the Exarches). The writing style of each book is very different, but you should still have a solid foundation of lore to take from.

RedMage125
2021-03-15, 05:27 PM
I se someone mentioned Hlal (who I think is connected to the elf god Erevan Ilsere). Of the old dragon gods, I seem to remember Falazure, the draconic deity of death. And Chronespis, who was their deity of time and longevity. That's all I can remember.44If you have access to old 2e supplements, the Council of Wyrms setting had more information on dragon gods, too.

Tiamat got herself the full chromatic harem, but there's no indication Ephelomon is a deity. In past editions at least Tiamat's consorts were all of the oldest age category for Dragons, but not divine themselves.

Let's not forget that Tiamat eventually turns on these consorts when she tires of them. One of her former Red consorts sought an escape plan from this eventual betrayal, and set himself up in service to a trapped demigod of undeath.

His name was Dragotha, and that demigod, Kyuss, turned him into the first dracolich. (Source: Age of Worms AP)