PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Module (Kobold Lair)

Bjarkmundur
2021-03-14, 09:06 AM
I've decided on my over-arching plot for my YA game, and I'd like the first few sessions be a typical level 1 kobold-lair run. I'll then attach my story to the end of that module. This gives me a bit of time to iron out the kinks and flesh out the immediate setting.

Now, I can probably bang out an kobold lair in an hour or two. But I'm willing to bet that someone else has already put a lot of thought and care into creating a module with the exact same theme, that's probably way more interesting that whatever I would throw together.

Do you know of any short kobold adventures for 1-3rd level characters?

JoeJ
2021-03-14, 01:31 PM
I've decided on my over-arching plot for my YA game, and I'd like the first few sessions be a typical level 1 kobold-lair run. I'll then attach my story to the end of that module. This gives me a bit of time to iron out the kinks and flesh out the immediate setting.

Now, I can probably bang out an kobold lair in an hour or two. But I'm willing to bet that someone else has already put a lot of thought and care into creating a module with the exact same theme, that's probably way more interesting that whatever I would throw together.

Do you know of any short kobold adventures for 1-3rd level characters?

If you're okay with there being goblins as well as kobolds, there's The Sunless Citadel (found in Tales from the Yawning Portal).

Yakmala
2021-03-14, 02:34 PM
There's a module on the DM's Guild that I've run for players levels 1-4 called "A Thousand Tiny Deaths" that provides a good Kobold lair with all the requisite tunnels and traps. Though you might want to tone down the Kobold Scale Sorcerer at the end if your party is heavily damaged before they reach him.

Theodoxus
2021-03-14, 03:16 PM
I've played both SC and TTD as part of a YA AL game day as a chaperone. TTD takes about an hour to run through, though it's easy to stretch out. SC takes about 4 hours, longer if they really get into the nooks and crannies, or RP up the NPCs.

Both modules do a good job at presenting the 5E flavor of Kobolds. As noted, SC has a decent chunk dedicated to goblins, if that's a concern, and the final encounter isn't strictly kobold related, so TTD might be better all around.

Kurt Kurageous
2021-03-15, 08:29 AM

Now, I can probably bang out an kobold lair in an hour or two.

^ famous last words of a DM on a Sunday night...

I'd be willing to share. PM with an email and I can attach in reply.

From memory: Hook is kobolds are reportedly raiding livestock. The kobolds are actually falsely accused to cover up farmers jealous of their more successful neighbor. Incensed by the misdeeds of the monsters, the vengeful adventurers attack!

The kobolds are miners who eat mushrooms supplemented by whatever wild game they can find. They are badly in need of metal to make tools, and will trade uncut gemstones for mere scraps of metal. They are currently led (enslaved) by a dragonborn divination wizard who claims to have a connection with Kurtulmak, and believes if she can offer Garl Glittergold enough gems, he will release Kurtulmak and reunite his with his race. In reality, she's peddling hope and exploiting the kobolds for the gemstones they pull from the mines below the lair. Clever girl!

The kobolds built for defense, with many 5x3 tunnels (Med creatures must crawl!) and rooms with 3' ceilings. The second room past the trading post manned by a crippled kobold is screened by such a tunnel, with a droppable net at its entrance over which hangs pots of green slimes. The kobolds scatter caltrops behind the net, and break the pots with their slings from the far side of the room. They flee deeper into the lair via a wooden bridge that will not hold more than 45 pounds.

The dragonborn's chambers have normal 10x10 halls and ceilings. There is a hidden 10x10 way to the surface.

There's more, but I can't retype it all now.