PDA

View Full Version : Can someone tell me the best class / Build to Fit this character.

Nosta
2021-03-14, 11:48 AM
A calm and Collected Dragonborn swordsman. Who is an inspiring master Duelist . He is more of agile than Strong and more wise than normal silver tounge of his kind. He has spent some years as a Desciple of a Monastery and mixes his raw talent with a blade with honing edge of his training

MrStabby
2021-03-14, 11:59 AM
Sounds like a kensei monk.

Nosta
2021-03-14, 12:01 PM
Sounds like a kensei monk.

Any multi class / dipping or strait kensei?

Ir0ns0ul
2021-03-14, 12:10 PM
Or just a regular Fighter Samurai.

Nosta
2021-03-14, 12:19 PM

Hmmm simple yet effective .
With tasha I could go Dex... 🤔

I get one free feat as a bonus from gm
And start at level 6 would weapon / feats would you recommend ?

Emongnome777
2021-03-14, 02:40 PM
The master duelist part first made me think Battle Master, but there's little use of a high wisdom as suggested in your description. Samurai, as mentioned, at least uses it a little bit. That said, Resilient (Wis) would be a good 1st feat and Defensive Duelist is thematic, though it won't make may top-10 lists of best feats. If you don't have another frequent use of your reaction, that's an option at least to consider.

There's plenty of maneuvers that would be thematic and strong choices. Tasha's expanded the maneuver list, so there's enough there now to consider taking Martial Adept as well. Wasn't there a Sage Advice / tweet that said the dice from the feat should only stay at a 1d6? Yeah, ignore that, too messy to keep up with. :smallwink:

Naanomi
2021-03-14, 02:42 PM
Swashbucklers make good dex-based precision duelists

Keravath
2021-03-14, 02:48 PM
I'd agree with the kensei monk assessment ... especially with the higher wisdom. Dex + wis focus, could start with resilient wisdom or alternatively the observant feat since if you go monk you will have proficiency in all saves at level 14. Observant would go with a character who pays attention and doesn't miss much (depending on how your DM runs rolling for perception vs passive perception).

The samurai fighter could be a second option that could fit the theme.

Depending on what sort of feel you are looking for with the character, you could also build it using either the rogue or ranger classes as the basis.

In addition, if you went with monk, depending on what aspects of the character you want to emphasize, you could take some levels in rogue to go with it.

Another option would be fighter/swashbuckler rogue - take the dueling fighting style. Maybe start 5 fighter /1 rogue ... fighter could be samurai or battlemaster since the maneuvers can give the feel of being a sword master.

SupahCabre
2021-03-14, 02:51 PM
You just said monastery. Who lives in monasteries?

Wizard_Lizard
2021-03-14, 05:53 PM
Battlemaster is fairly generic, but kensei works too.

Witty Username
2021-03-14, 06:09 PM
Monk, Fighter and Ranger all sound good for this. I would use kensei, battlemaster or gloomstalker respectively.

Naanomi
2021-03-14, 06:56 PM
Monk, Fighter and Ranger all sound good for this. I would use kensei, battlemaster or gloomstalker respectively.
High wisdom combat focused ranger... Monster Slayer also does pretty well there

Ir0ns0ul
2021-03-15, 06:18 AM
Hmmm simple yet effective .
With tasha I could go Dex... 🤔

I get one free feat as a bonus from gm
And start at level 6 would weapon / feats would you recommend ?

I would actually recommend to go STR and the boring but effective GWM route. Being a Samurai means you’ll save another feat because you get prof in WIS saves at level 7, so max STR, GWM and play as a super strong swordsman.

whateew
2021-03-15, 07:16 AM
A calm and Collected Dragonborn swordsman. Who is an inspiring master Duelist . He is more of agile than Strong and more wise than normal silver tounge of his kind. He has spent some years as a Desciple of a Monastery and mixes his raw talent with a blade with honing edge of his training

While this feat is restricted to elves, if your DM is willing to open it up to you, a double bladed scimitar + revenant blade might be a fun combo (as I feel using a shield doesn't really suit a nimble fighter kind of idea. You also take the dragon hide feat (perhaps one as a free feat and one as a replacement for an ASI to bump an odd Dex score).

Perhaps you trained under wood elves, or some other mystical feyish race, explaining where the grace and the wisdom comes from.

If you are feeling supernatural grace, maybe the psi warrior, with a bit of reflavouring, would suit you.

Another idea is to play a rogue of some sort (with the scimitar as your weapon id reckon). It suits the agility idea, perhaps rather than high speed blows this is a patient but effective fencer. The bonus action is also useful for a rogue, for another chance at a sneak attack. Inquisitive seems to suit the vibe of a weary and wise adventurer who has an ear for the truth, but scout and mastermind also fit. I also like the idea of an arcane trickster, with your familiar owl being a falconer, but I always love familiars so that may just be me.

Another idea could be to play a bladesinger wizard, if you are willing to go for int rather than wis, and lean into magical grace.

Lastly, feeling wise? I know it's not generally regarded as a good class, but a war cleric + sword cantrips from magic initiate might be funny.

Another feat idea - take cleric / druidic intitiate for guidance - possibly a fighter with druidic intitiate who uses shillelagh may be funny.

Elandel
2021-04-05, 05:38 PM
Totally Kensei Monk (maybe mixed with some levels of Hunter Ranger for some godly help). :)
Played a similar build and it was hella fun!

Kane0
2021-04-05, 05:52 PM
Kensei Monk which should have been Kensei fighter mumble grumble
Most varieties of Fighter (Battlemaster, Samurai but also potentially Psi Knight, Rune Knight, Champion)
Swashbuckler Rogue
Ranger (Stalker, Hunter, Slayer, Walker)
Dex Paladin (Oath of Heroism)

Swords/Valor Bard
Bladesinger Wizard
Hexblade Warlock
War Cleric

or any mix of the above really.

Chad.e.clark
2021-04-05, 06:25 PM
An inspiring duelist, you say? Only one class can inspire: the Bard. Swords bard all the way.

Frogreaver
2021-04-05, 08:07 PM

IMO. Samurai will mechanically work better. The Dragonborn lacks stats to really make the monk effective.

A wisdom focused eldritch knight would be pretty cool and is only 1 level off from 2nd level spells.

I love swashbucklers but mechanicallly not getting dex, wis or con will be a little rough.

Honestly, A sword and shield ranger would feel pretty good at least until level 10.

And of course Battlemaster would be great for this as well.

Cikomyr2
2021-04-05, 08:18 PM
He could also be a Paladin in light armor.

Man_Over_Game
2021-04-06, 11:59 AM
My vote goes for Samurai. Uses Wisdom over other utility stats, the entire theme of the subclass is basically controlling your thoughts to ignore pain and strike true.

The real problem is figuring out how to use the Warrior's Spirit stuff with Dexterity as a melee character. Can't use your BA, so dual wielding is out. No two-handed Dex weapons, so the best option left is sword+shield, but I'm not sure if that's what OP is describing.

Although I don't see any problems with someone making a two-handed 1d12 DEX weapon without Finesse (Finesse specifies that either STR or DEX can be used, not just DEX)

ZRN
2021-04-07, 12:22 PM
Swashbucklers make good dex-based precision duelists

Yeah, and maybe scatter in a few levels of fighter/battlemaster eventually.