PDA

View Full Version : [Spells] Faerie Cycle

Pihlaja
2007-11-09, 03:59 PM
A newbie in the playground and I'm already diving into the homebrew designing. Well, this was the reason for my registration so it makes sense. Anyway, I would like to have an opinion of yours about these three spells I've designed. I've read only the Core books so it is possible that something completely similiar has been published by Wizards, but that can't be helped, can it.

Faerie Flicker
Conjuration (Teleportation)

Level: Brd 3, Sor/Wiz 3, Trickery 3
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: Creature touched
Duration: 1 min./2 levels (D)
Saving Throw: Will negates; see text
Spell Resistance: Yes; see text

This spells forces some of the fairies’ powers into subject, making him teleport chaotically in horizontal lines. Whenever he tries to move, even with 5-foot step, roll 1d8 to get his flickering direction, with 1 being straight back at him and 2 through 8 counting clockwise around. Then roll 1d4 to see how far he travels in squares. He instantaneously teleports to that square and this teleportation is considered as a move action. If the square is already occupied by a creature or if the subject tries to flicker inside a solid object, he bounces away backwards until he reaches an unoccupied square. Every 5 feet bounced backwards causes 1d6 damage to him.

Moving out of a threatened square provokes an attack of opportunity, as normal, but the attacker takes -2 penalty on attack rolls due to subjects started teleportation, which has already transferred him into the Astal Plane.

Chaotic teleporting like this is way beyond confusing even to someone, who’s used to it. Right after the flicker subject must make a Concentration check (DC 12 + 1 per 5 ft. travelled). Otherwise he’s unable to take any actions on that turn.

You cannot use this spell to subject, whose HD exceeds your caster level by more than two. Using this spell to an unwilling target requires a melee touch attack and the target is allowed a saving throw.

Arcane Material Component
A gulp of wine.

Faerie Shift

Level: Sor/Wiz 5

This spell functions like faerie flicker, but the subject can decide, where he’s flickering with his move action. Also, the direction doesn’t have to be horizontal anymore. The travelled distance is still, however, randomly rolled, but the target can decide to roll up to two dices. Concentration checks are still required but the DC is only 12 + 1 per 10 ft. travelled.

A gulp of wine.

Faerie Flying

Level: Sor/Wiz 7

This spell functions like faerie flicker, but the subject can decide, where and how far (up to 40 ft. per round) he’s flickering with his move action. Concentration checks are no longer needed

A gulp of wine.

Basically, I'm eager to know if the spell levels and other restricting statics are reasonable. A general opinion and other notes are also welcome so I can start modifying. Don't be afraid to point out any grammar mistakes, too. English ain't my mother language, so my skills needs polishing up, but I hope it's readable. :smallsmile:

Kiren
2007-11-09, 07:46 PM
I could read every word of it, not bad you need to make one thing more clear, in the roll for direction what 1-8 is in direction

DracoDei
2007-11-10, 02:06 AM
Same way it works for grenade like weapon scatter I should think...

Pihlaja
2007-11-10, 04:57 PM
Yeah, the idea was to get the direction with the same method as splash weapons misdirection is rolled, for exampel. So, I looked it up and edited it into the text. Maybe it's a little bit more clearer now?
And it's nice you can read it.