PDA

View Full Version : Player Help What is a Good Build Focused on Tasha's Summon Spells?

Techcaliber
2021-03-14, 05:25 PM
Hello hello! For some context, awhile back, I played a 3.5e game where I played a Conjuror, and I really enjoyed the strategy and control that came with being able to manipulate the number of players in a battlefield. So, after I played that, I looked into 5e Conjuring, and was somewhat dissapointed. But then we got Tasha's, which introduced a large number of Summon spells, and I started looking into it again. My first thought of course, was to play a School of Conjuration Wizard. But as I looked over it, I remembered that it was one of the underwhelming aspects I looked at originally. So I'm here today asking this: what build would you recommend to make the most use of the summoning spells introduced in Tasha's?

Thanks in advance for your help!

MaxWilson
2021-03-14, 05:45 PM
Hello hello! For some context, awhile back, I played a 3.5e game where I played a Conjuror, and I really enjoyed the strategy and control that came with being able to manipulate the number of players in a battlefield. So, after I played that, I looked into 5e Conjuring, and was somewhat dissapointed. But then we got Tasha's, which introduced a large number of Summon spells, and I started looking into it again. My first thought of course, was to play a School of Conjuration Wizard. But as I looked over it, I remembered that it was one of the underwhelming aspects I looked at originally. So I'm here today asking this: what build would you recommend to make the most use of the summoning spells introduced in Tasha's?

Thanks in advance for your help!

There's been massive power creep since the PHB Conjuror was written.

Conjuration is indeed underwhelming compared to e.g. Tasha's Twilight Cleric. Instead of giving out 30 temp HP, once, to a creature that you summon, starting at level 14, you can grant Lvl+d6 temp HP for ten or eleven rounds to every creature of your choice within 30' (PCs, summons, etc.), starting from level 2, and from level 6 you can do it multiple times per short rest. Starting at level 10 you can also do (attempt) stuff like request Divine Intervention to Planar Binding VIII a conjured celestial so it will stick around for six months without costing concentration. If the DM cooperates with that request, on average it will take you about 17 days per bound celestial (10% chance of success per day), so you can't acquire more than ten or so at a time without spending actual gold on _real_ Planar Binding, but you'd be advised not to acquire more than one or two lest your hubris vex the DM.

Shepherd Druid is also excellent but synergizes better with PHB spells like Conjure Fey and Conjure Animals, instead of Tasha's. Less HP than a Twilight Cleric but more total damage output.

P. S. Ironically, of the PHB classes, Diviners make better conjurors than Conjurors do.

Ir0ns0ul
2021-03-15, 06:10 AM
I’m playing a Necromancer myself and I’m getting the most out of Animate Dead and Summon Undead.

A small skeleton army led by a Ghostly undead spirit.

Rentirith
2021-03-15, 09:22 AM
you might want to consider the warlock with just one of the 3rd or 4th level spells. Your class features might not provide direct support, but you will in essence be able to have a summon up at least once per short rest assuming you don't want to concentrate on anything else.

Gyor
2021-03-15, 02:53 PM
Psion Sorcerer can spam extended Summon Aberrantions with functionally free subtle spell.

Clockwork Sorcerers get Summon Construct and can cast Extended Aid upon them, increasing their HP max.

Divine Soul Sorcerers can do the same with Summon Celestial and more, like casting Death Ward upon them.

Sam113097
2021-03-15, 03:53 PM
I've been DMing for a Shepherd Druid for the past year or so, and it seems to be the best summoning class in 5e in my experience. It has access to a number of the PHB summoning spells, a trio of summonable Spirit Totems that can be used fairly frequently, and my player's been using Summon Beast, Summon Fey, and now Summon Elemental in pretty much every combat; I think that the Druid's 6th level ability, Mighty Summoner, makes them perfect for this role.

Gyor
2021-03-15, 05:36 PM
Also Fey Wander Ranger can cast Summon Fey without consentration! This is huge its at least its the best summoning half caster.