PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Sub-stories for the players to find after the apocalypse

Williamnot
2021-03-14, 05:32 PM
Hello! I'm going to be running a campaign in an apocalyptic setting, and wanted to make exploring ruins a little more interesting by leaving snippets of small stories from the beginning of the apocalypse.

An example of this are the sub stories in The Last of Us. When you're in the hotel in Pittsburgh, you can find a couple who committed suicide together and a note explaining their death. Later in the game, you learn about Ish's story through a series of his notes, and soon you find the infamous "They didn't suffer" note, written on the ground.

In the second game, you get to learn about Boris and his story, where the killing of his daughter caused him to rebel against the Washington Liberation Front. When he found out his neighbors were going to turn him in, he drugged them all and left them in a room of spores. He got infected by one of his neighbors, then locked himself in a room and wrote a confession before turning.

So I'm wondering what ideas you would have for small substories that the players can find to make exploring the environment that much more entertaining! They also don't have to be as sad or gruesome as the examples I gave :)

neceros
2021-03-27, 01:43 AM
Read Numenera. It's badass and will give you a billion ideas.