PDA

View Full Version : Fun Interactions with a new Magic Item

Catullus64
2021-03-15, 09:56 AM
I've just been given a new magic item in a game, a magic sword called Soaring Point. It's a +1 Rapier, with the following additional feature:

"When you hit a creature with an attack with this weapon, gusts of wind briefly hasten your feet; you can immediately move up to half your speed to a space within 5 feet of the target of the attack. This movement does not provoke opportunity attacks."

My character: Eladrin Bard 1/Rogue (Swashbuckler) 3.

Some clarifications from the DM:
The free movement from the feature does not detract from your overall movement allowance on a turn.
The feature does not require that the attack be taken on your turn: it can trigger with a reaction attack.

With all that information, I'm curious if anyone can think of interesting tricks that can be done in combat with this weapon, particularly with reaction attacks (in addition to OA's and Ready, we've got a Battlemaster with Commander's Strike.) Possibly using a readied attack to move and avoid another attack?

x3n0n
2021-03-15, 10:03 AM
I've just been given a new magic item in a game, a magic sword called Soaring Point. It's a +1 Rapier, with the following additional feature:

"When you hit a creature with an attack with this weapon, gusts of wind briefly hasten your feet; you can immediately move up to half your speed to a space within 5 feet of the target of the attack. This movement does not provoke opportunity attacks."

The free movement from the feature does not detract from your overall movement allowance on a turn.
The feature does not require that the attack be taken on your turn: it can trigger with a reaction attack.

With all that information, I'm curious if anyone can think of interesting tricks that can be done in combat with this weapon, particularly with reaction attacks (in addition to OA's and Ready, we've got a Battlemaster with Commander's Strike.) Possibly using a readied attack to move and avoid another attack?

Just to make sure I follow, since you've just hit them with a Rapier, you're already within 5 feet of the target, so that movement only lets you move in a circle around the target, not treat it like Mobile. So the "no opportunity attacks" part is only going to be relevant for getting you away from someone *else* who is next to the target.

Is that right?

MrStabby
2021-03-15, 11:09 AM

So using it as an improvised thrown weapon so you can go and pick it up? Bugbears give a little more freedom I guess? Otherwise it seems like a little free movement to circle round the side of an enemy?

I mean maybe hold rapier in one hand, some rope in another and you can spin round them multiple times with a lot of attacks to tie them up?

Catullus64
2021-03-16, 08:06 AM
Just to make sure I follow, since you've just hit them with a Rapier, you're already within 5 feet of the target, so that movement only lets you move in a circle around the target, not treat it like Mobile. So the "no opportunity attacks" part is only going to be relevant for getting you away from someone *else* who is next to the target.

Is that right?

That is correct; that said, the Mobile part is already covered by my being a Swashbuckler.

nickl_2000
2021-03-16, 08:17 AM
It's an interesting ability to be sure. I don't see any major abuses that you can do with this ability since it only allows you to circle around the enemy rather than actually get away from them.

That being said, I would use this mostly to get away from other enemies allowing you to dash instead of disengage. You can dive into combat where you have multiple people around you. Attack one target, move around that target to get away from the others, then dash out of their range due to Swashbuckler mobile like ability. Overall, it gives you the ability to be more daring and get into more situations where you would be surrounded and wouldn't typically enter.

An interesting abuse would be to grapple someone, then on your turn stab them with this sword. You can drag them in any direction that you would like because when you move, you take them with you (thus always ending within 5 feet of them). This would be better if you could get your base movement speed to 40 ft though, since at 30ft you can only move 1 square.