PDA

View Full Version : What color do you think Vermillion is? no google, from the heart

moonfly7
2021-03-15, 10:56 AM
So, I've asked everybody I know, and only 1 guy said the right answer. Most people either have spent their whole lives thinking it's green, or thought it was yellow(Some just didn't know it was a color). Is this just me and my admittedly weird friend group? Half of these guys were artists. one dude described a green painting as "vermillion". post what you thought the color was.

It's red. I never knew that till 2 days ago.

Is this the Mandella effect?
or is it just that I play pokemon, all my friends are nerds, and we thought Veridian first, and confuse Veridian with Vermillion all the time(both the cities and the color)?

Legit curious. Let's see if I'm just crazy.

Eldan
2021-03-15, 10:59 AM
I think it's red? Or reddish-brown? The etymology might be connected to vermis, so I'm assuming it's an insect-based pigment, like cochineal carmine.

moonfly7
2021-03-15, 11:04 AM
I think it's red? Or reddish-brown? The etymology might be connected to vermis, so I'm assuming it's an insect-based pigment, like cochineal carmine.

you're right, although the fact that you didn't know for sure tells me that your just an amazing deductive reasoner. I'm suitably impressed both with your logic and your knowledge of etymology

Roland St. Jude
2021-03-15, 11:35 AM
Scarlet. It's sometimes used to describe the color of blood or maybe just the color of blood in artwork.

Eldan
2021-03-15, 11:39 AM
you're right, although the fact that you didn't know for sure tells me that your just an amazing deductive reasoner. I'm suitably impressed both with your logic and your knowledge of etymology

I mean, I'm cheating. I'm an entomologist, so insect-derrived pigments are part of my job.

Fyraltari
2021-03-15, 12:08 PM
purplish red?

smuchmuch
2021-03-15, 12:11 PM
I'm pretty sure from memory that Vermillion is a shade of red. Vermeil in french is a flesh pinkish red. While the ethymology make one think of 'vermis' which could hint at the cochenille, though the pigment coming from the cochenille is called 'carmine' in english. In fact unuisre if Vermillon, Vermeil and Carmine may be the same, langage barrier and all....

halfeye
2021-03-15, 12:17 PM
Vermillion is an orangy red colour.

I had some vermillion painting ink once.

This one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Winsor-Newton-Drawing-Ink-Bottle/dp/B003HDK6YC/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=vermilion+ink&qid=1615829030&sr=8-1

The image of the ink bottle was huge for some reason.

Iruka
2021-03-15, 12:31 PM
Pretty sure it is some kind of red, possibly close to crimson? I remember because we once had to do presentations about songs in school and a classmate chose Vermillion by Slipknot.

sktarq
2021-03-15, 12:43 PM
Red.
Crayola Vermillion IIRC tends to lean an orange-red
Classic Bug Vermillion again IIRC tended to be the Caucasian scalebug not the Mexican (also pre-tin boosting) and was thus "lighter" than the portugese/med stuff which tended more purple/brown tone of red...but that could just be a fastness/mordent issue.
But with some bad tranlations some was also the mercury red with marketing issues.

EDIT: I may have a book on the history of red dye on my shelf that I'm tapping the memory of

Imbalance
2021-03-15, 01:35 PM
The only firm reference I have for the term is in reference to a silvery crown with red jewels, iirc, so I thought it was red.:smallconfused:

DeTess
2021-03-15, 02:22 PM
First instinct was red, but then I started wondering whether it wouldn't be some kind of green instead. I'm wondering about where the association with green comes from now.

Tvtyrant
2021-03-15, 03:38 PM
First instinct was red, but then I started wondering whether it wouldn't be some kind of green instead. I'm wondering about where the association with green comes from now.

The red green show?

Peelee
2021-03-15, 04:05 PM
This is very unfair since I'm colorblind and I quite literally wouldn't know what vermillion was if it came up and bit me.

Based solely on the name, I'd guess greenish? I'm assuming it's from a romantic source which tends to have "ver" ish words being green.

understatement
2021-03-15, 04:24 PM
Hmm, first instinct is orange...is it a bright red? Like, neon-traffic light red?

Taffimai
2021-03-15, 04:26 PM
A bright red, trending towards orange

moonfly7
2021-03-15, 04:26 PM
This is very unfair since I'm colorblind and I quite literally wouldn't know what vermillion was if it came up and bit me.

Based solely on the name, I'd guess greenish? I'm assuming it's from a romantic source which tends to have "ver" ish words being green.

you and me both buddy. Exact same reasons.
It is official, I'm just dumb. Because only like, 1 other dude got it wrong. I blame the fact that at least one of you was an entomologist and I suspect I was answered by at least 1 art degree, and perhaps a linguist.

Rynjin
2021-03-15, 04:33 PM
Don't really need to be a linguist; a lot of red things in media are referred to as vermillion (typically phoenixes and similarly fire related stuff).

Peelee
2021-03-15, 04:47 PM
Don't really need to be a linguist; a lot of red things in media are referred to as vermillion (typically phoenixes and similarly fire related stuff).

Today I learned I don't read about a lot of fire-related stuff.

Xuc Xac
2021-03-15, 05:08 PM
It's red. When I learned the word, I also learned what it meant, just like every other color word. I'm curious how you even learn the word "vermillion" (or "scarlet", "crimson", "carnelian", etc.) without being shown a picture of it or being told that it means "red".

moonfly7
2021-03-15, 05:15 PM
Seriously, never once have I consciously noticed it in descriptions of red things. Clearly it's there, and I now realise that I often confused it with veridian, but I read a lot of books and I must have just passed over it.

It's red. When I learned the word, I also learned what it meant, just like every other color word. I'm curious how you even learn the word "vermillion" (or "scarlet", "crimson", "carnelian", etc.) without being shown a picture of it or being told that it means "red".
Because I learn via reading? And the first time I saw it it was likely on something that could have been either? The same way anyone doesn't know things 100% I imagine. Very few colors do I actually look up when I first see them written. Many times context clues give it away. This is actually how I learned it was red: a books context clues.

Rynjin
2021-03-15, 05:43 PM
Case in point, I still have no idea what chartreuse looks like. As far as I'm concerned it only exists in fiction.

Eldan
2021-03-15, 06:03 PM
I google what Chartreuse is every time I heard the word. Before googling today, I sort of had an idea in my head it was something between grey and violet. Something like this.
https://sherwin.scene7.com/is/image/sw/color-swatch?_tparam_size=250,250&layer=comp&_tparam_color=A29BAA

It's not. It's between yellow and green.

Tvtyrant
2021-03-15, 06:14 PM
There are also a fair number of colors that computers render differently then natural light, so looking up a color might not actually be helpful.

Peelee
2021-03-15, 06:26 PM
Case in point, I still have no idea what chartreuse looks like. As far as I'm concerned it only exists in fiction.

Back when my dad was alive, on rare occasion he would enjoy going on about the single worst movie he ever saw, The Chartreuse Caboose. To the point that I can't ever think of anyone else when I hear that word.

moonfly7
2021-03-15, 06:31 PM

I google what Chartreuse is every time I heard the word. Before googling today, I sort of had an idea in my head it was something between grey and violet. Something like this.
https://sherwin.scene7.com/is/image/sw/color-swatch?_tparam_size=250,250&layer=comp&_tparam_color=A29BAA

I'm glad I'm not alone in my color disparity then. For what it's worth, I wouldn't have known where to start with Chartreuse.

The_Snark
2021-03-15, 06:35 PM

You might be remembering viridian, which is a kind of green.

Xuc Xac
2021-03-15, 06:47 PM
I'm glad I'm not alone in my color disparity then. For what it's worth, I wouldn't have known where to start with Chartreuse.

It's a type of French liqueur with a distinctive color. The color is named after it.

Domino Quartz
2021-03-15, 07:28 PM
A shade of orange, based on nothing other than that Vermilion City in the first-generation Pokémon games was associated with the colour orange.

Rynael
2021-03-15, 07:42 PM
Definitely some shade of red, but I'm not sure exactly which. I can thank VVVVVV, the indie game, for teaching me this (all of the crewmembers are named after the color they're drawn as).

I feel like asking the kind of people who frequent a D&D/webcomic internet forum is probably a major selection bias of some kind, though. That's very much not a random sample of the population, and I feel like almost everyone here knowing might say more about this forum than your friend group.

moonfly7
2021-03-15, 07:50 PM
Definitely some shade of red, but I'm not sure exactly which. I can thank VVVVVV, the indie game, for teaching me this (all of the crewmembers are named after the color they're drawn as).

I feel like asking the kind of people who frequent a D&D/webcomic internet forum is probably a major selection bias of some kind, though. That's very much not a random sample of the population, and I feel like almost everyone here knowing might say more about this forum than your friend group.

True, but I A, am just curious and in no way conducting a proper survey for analyses, and B, have no social media other than this site and don't want to ever be forced to do so for fear of the normal people.

well, this site and youtube. but that's not exactly social.

quinron
2021-03-15, 08:18 PM
It's a reddish orange - I know because after Digimon Tamers, I got really into the Four Symbols stuff in east Asian astrology, and one is the Vermillion Bird.

I'm guessing, having not yet gone back and checked the spoilered posts, that this is a common reason people know this word.

EDIT: Turns out I'm totally wrong - y'all are not nearly as big of weabs as I was at 13.

moonfly7
2021-03-15, 08:28 PM
It's a reddish orange - I know because after Digimon Tamers, I got really into the Four Symbols stuff in east Asian astrology, and one is the Vermillion Bird.

I'm guessing, having not yet gone back and checked the spoilered posts, that this is a common reason people know this word.

EDIT: Turns out I'm totally wrong - y'all are not nearly as big of weabs as I was at 13.

Nah, at least 2 of us knew it from pokemon. I did too but never placed the color.

Tarmor
2021-03-15, 08:30 PM
Initially my mind was blank.
First serious thought to colour was a shade or purple, but then I started to wonder about a greenish/purple.
Now I'll go back and look at what other people have said!

quinron
2021-03-15, 08:32 PM
Initially my mind was blank.
First serious thought to colour was a shade or purple, but then I started to wonder about a greenish/purple.
Now I'll go back and look at what other people have said!

Isn't that the description of octarine, the colour of magic in Discworld?

Tarmor
2021-03-15, 08:38 PM
Isn't that the description of octarine, the colour of magic in Discworld?

"a fluorescent greenish yellow-purple" (as described in the colour of magic). I'm a big Discworld fan... that might have coloured my thinking! As a figure painter, I'm now realising that I should have known the right colour from the start. There's a good chance there's a tube, or paint jar of Vermilion in my collection.

Fyraltari
2021-03-16, 02:34 AM
There are also a fair number of colors that computers render differently then natural light, so looking up a color might not actually be helpful.

To be fair, natural light isn't an uniform thing either, stuff looks different depending on the weather. but yeah, it's true that computers, being limited to expressing everything with floating numbers can't process the full color spectrum.

Combine both and you get funny stuff like that black-blue/white-gold debacle which proves that people's very brains don't even see colour the same.

Asmotherion
2021-03-16, 04:30 AM
I think it's a shade of deep purple towards red, but I could be wrong.

oh, well, fell right into that trap. And yeah, I'm on the Pokemon team.

smuchmuch
2021-03-16, 05:49 AM
It's a type of French liqueur with a distinctive color. The color is named after it.

Indeed. It also as a pretty distinctive tast too. (very vegetal and sweet.)
Though googling you may be a bit confused because nowadays the alcohol comes into two colors, a yellow one and a green one (which is a pretty deep green). But the color is defintively a yellow green. Closer to yellow in my opinion.
https://color.bougeret.fr/colors/name/1369.svg

snowblizz
2021-03-16, 07:38 AM

So I'm the only on who thought "isn't that a breed of cat named after a French city"? So naturally thought chartreuse was kinda blue-grey.

Edit: No I was thinking of Chartres, nice cathedral, no cats 5/10 (yes I been there once, my mom had onion soup she never stops talking about).

Iruka
2021-03-16, 08:35 AM

When I see or hear "Chartreuse", I always think of the Don Rosa comic where they search for mysterious in the woods. Otherwise I would also have expected some kind of grey/violet, for some reason. But my perception of words is always coloured (haha) by my mild synaesthesia.

So I'm the only on who thought "isn't that a breed of cat named after a French city"? So naturally thought chartreuse was kinda blue-grey.

Edit: No I was thinking of Chartres, nice cathedral, no cats 5/10 (yes I been there once, my mom had onion soup she never stops talking about).

Chartreux (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chartreux) is actually a french cat breed, with a bluish-grey coat. Maybe that's where my colour association came from? All things chartreuse seem to be named after the Chartreuse Mountains in France and the monastery located there.

snowblizz
2021-03-16, 08:50 AM
When I see or hear "Chartreuse", I always think of the Don Rosa comic where they search for mysterious in the woods. Otherwise I would also have expected some kind of grey/violet, for some reason. But my perception of words is always coloured (haha) by my mild synaesthesia.

Chartreux (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chartreux) is actually a french cat breed, with a bluish-grey coat. Maybe that's where my colour association came from? All things chartreuse seem to be named after the Chartreuse Mountains in France and the monastery located there.

Yes. That was my point. I thought it was named for Chartres. But it's not, as you say from mountains/monastery. Chartres doesn't have Chartreux cats and I find that to be a severe deficiency.

Imbalance
2021-03-16, 09:00 AM
Funny, my earliest memory of 'chartreuse' comes from a late 80's educational pc game, but I definitively associate it with the translucent bits in Lego's Magnetron sets.

Mastikator
2021-03-16, 09:11 AM
Is it cheating that my color palette literally has a color labeled vermilion?
Because it's slightly brownish red and called "vermilion red".

Iruka
2021-03-16, 09:14 AM
Yes. That was my point. I thought it was named for Chartres. But it's not, as you say from mountains/monastery. Chartres doesn't have Chartreux cats and I find that to be a severe deficiency.

Ah, I misunderstood.

Peelee
2021-03-16, 11:20 AM
All the Pokémon people flexing that they didn't have the fat Game Boy. You know what color Vermillion City was for me? Green. Same for Fushia City, and Celadon City, and Saffron City, and...

Red Fel
2021-03-16, 12:34 PM
It's red.

I actually remember the first time I encountered the term. It was in a Nintendo Power guide to Super Ghouls 'n' Ghosts, the third stage of which is titled - no joke - Vermilion Horror. And in the typical videogame world hierarchy of grassland forest water world ice world etc., this was the volcano level. As in, fire. As in, red. So that's how I first encountered the word, and the association I have.

A more recent illustration from a few years ago is when I was memorialized as a Greater Deity here (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=19052240&postcount=47). Note the character's name - Vermeil, as in the Latin for red. Vermeil, as in vermilion.

So, yeah. I know this one, thanks.

Cygnia
2021-03-16, 12:59 PM
Orange-red

Xuc Xac
2021-03-16, 02:22 PM
I associate "vermillion" with the "lucky red" painted on Asian palaces and temples, like torii gates, temple pillars, or the walls of the Forbidden City. The color is named after the physical pigment traditionally used to make that paint color.

Eldan
2021-03-16, 05:06 PM
Vermeil, as in the Latin for red. Vermeil, as in vermilion.

Uh, are you sure? Never heard that as a Latin word, and -eil doesn't look like a Latin ending. French, maybe? The Latin root is Vermis, worm.

Fyraltari
2021-03-16, 05:22 PM
Uh, are you sure? Never heard that as a Latin word, and -eil doesn't look like a Latin ending. French, maybe? The Latin root is Vermis, worm.

Correct. Red in Latin is ruber and vermeil is indeed French for vermillion.

Lemmy
2021-03-17, 11:34 AM
Well... I know that one, but can't be too proud of it...

"Red" in my native language (Portuguese) is "Vermelho", so "Vermillion" being the name of some shade of red has always been pretty intuitive for me.

Same way I remember Viridian as green (Verde) and Azure as blue (Azul).

Does that count as cheating?

DaOldeWolf
2021-03-17, 12:21 PM
After reading this topic, I feel ashamed. I though vermillion was a shade of

Purple. Even worse to find out its my favorite shade of red and the one I like to wear. the most :smallredface:

DavidSh
2021-03-17, 02:09 PM
I thought Vermillion was
the orangey-red color of cinnabar.

Dire Moose
2021-03-17, 09:26 PM
I’ve generally thought of it as a shade ofred.

Sigako
2021-03-18, 11:59 AM
bright red, historically derived from cochenile pigment, but I'm cheating - I knew this from the middle school.

Green is verdigris, the words share the beginning, and you can conflate them if they aren't in your active lexicon.

Tyndmyr
2021-03-18, 12:43 PM
I always assumed it was one of those blue-green colors. I did click your spoiler to see out of curiosity, but fair's fair, I'll fess up to my initial guess.

Probably based on the fact that there was a Lake Vermillion near where I grew up, and I just always assumed that the color would be a lake kind of color.

Willie the Duck
2021-03-19, 06:42 AM
So, I've asked everybody I know, and only 1 guy said the right answer. Most people either have spent their whole lives thinking it's green, or thought it was yellow(Some just didn't know it was a color). Is this just me and my admittedly weird friend group? Half of these guys were artists. one dude described a green painting as "vermillion". post what you thought the color was.

Okay, will answer before reading others. Will edit if super-redundant...
I always thought of it as "70's red, to go along with all the beige, rust, avocado, harvest gold, mustard yellow, etc." I guess it's not actually considered one of the iconic 70's colors, but I was thinking of the right shade.

I don't know if I'd call it a Mandela effect. I think there's something of a meme out there that people don't know what Chartreuse, Fuchsia, Mauve, Puce, Taupe, or Vermillion looks like (or thought that melange (https://www.schlockmercenary.com/2003-06-01) is a color), and it becomes something of a self-fulfilling prophecy (because one focuses on the color out of that list that one didn't know).

smuchmuch
2021-03-19, 12:45 PM
Okay, will answer before reading others. Will edit if super-redundant...
I always thought of it as "70's red, to go along with all the beige, rust, avocado, harvest gold, mustard yellow, etc." I guess it's not actually considered one of the iconic 70's colors, but I was thinking of the right shade.

I don't know if I'd call it a Mandela effect. I think there's something of a meme out there that people don't know what Chartreuse, Fuchsia, Mauve, Puce, Taupe, or Vermillion looks like (or that melange (https://www.schlockmercenary.com/2003-06-01) is a color), and it becomes something of a self-fulfilling prophecy (because one focuses on the color out of that list that one didn't know).

I will say, speaking french probably help a lot here seeing a lot of those colors are french words. (except Fushia who comes from German and technically, amusingly enough, Vermillon, tho it still does comme from Vermeille so close enough :smalltongue:).
Even if not necessarily world for colors, there's at least one Proper noun (Fuchs is the name of a German botanist (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonhart_Fuchs)) after which, yes, the flower and then color was named, two animals, Taupe means mole in french and Puce means Flea and a liquor. And Mauve is well, Mauve, tho it does come, like the fushia, from a latin name for a plant: Malva, whose petals are, yes, Mauve. (Okay I'll be honnest, this one, I had to google.) Ethymology Etymology is fun

Fyraltari
2021-03-19, 12:48 PM
I will say, speaking french probably help a lot here seeing a lot of those colors are french words. (except Fushia who comes from German and technically, amusingly enough, Vermillon, tho it still does comme from Vermeille so close enough :smalltongue:).
Even if not necessarily world for colors, there's at least one Proper noun (Fuchs is the name of a German botanist (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonhart_Fuchs)) after which, yes, the flower and then color was named, two animals, Taupe means mole in french and Puce means Flea and a liquor. And Mauve is well, Mauve, tho it does come, like the fushia, from a latin name for a plant: Malva, whose petals are, yes, Mauve. (Okay I'll be honnest, this one, I had to google.) Ethymology is fun

Ethymology being, naturally, the study of the origin of nouns while drunk.

Beleriphon
2021-03-19, 01:15 PM
It is a distinct red/orange. See example in the link, I've been there in person, definitely orange hued, less red then say blood.

https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3915.html

Peelee
2021-03-19, 01:17 PM
Ethymology being, naturally, the study of the origin of nouns while drunk.

The study of English, you say?

Fyraltari
2021-03-19, 04:52 PM
The study of English, you say?

Ha! Nice one.

anthon
2021-03-21, 10:17 PM
vermilion is the color of fire. meaning it has color shades that transition between gold, red, orange, and near white, but mostly shifts between red and gold.

anthon
2021-03-21, 10:19 PM
A bright red, trending towards orange

this is near close to perfect answer

sihnfahl
2021-03-23, 07:51 AM
I'm surprised some folks didn't mention...

"Powders and dyes! Newly arrived at great risk from the Eurasian zone! Display your love with a streak of vermilion! Highlight those eyes with a dash of rare cerulean! Powders and dyes!"

TexasSkiandFish
2021-03-23, 05:39 PM
Easy for me, I have caught many vermillion snapper fishing in the gulf of mexico. Although, to be honest I had no idea it was a color.

Taevyr
2021-03-26, 11:32 AM
It sounds like it ought to be green, probably due to the "vert" in there, but I feel like I vaguely remember it being red.

So I'll go with red

Unavenger
2021-03-27, 05:10 PM
It's red, and I was always fairly well-aware of that as far as I can remember."Viridian" means green, and is probably a far better-known or better-half-known word, or at least there's a decent chance. "Vər-_ən, where - is a strong syllable and _ is a weak syllable, is easy to get mixed up if you half-remember something.Isn't real. People's memories just fail in predictable ways.

janetJ
2021-03-31, 03:35 AM
I think it is red

Yourt19
2021-04-27, 12:33 PM
I remember that it has a dark red color.

Breezeshadow
2021-04-28, 03:28 PM

or is it just that I play pokemon, all my friends are nerds, and we thought Veridian first, and confuse Veridian with Vermillion all the time(both the cities and the color)?

Red, I believe.

Breezeshadow
2021-04-28, 03:29 PM
Though I used to think it was purple for some reason.

Sigako
2021-05-06, 11:39 PM
"Viridian" means green, and is probably a far better-known or better-half-known word, or at least there's a decent chance. "Vər-_ən, where - is a strong syllable and _ is a weak syllable, is easy to get mixed up if you half-remember something.

"Verdigris" is also a popular word, and it's that green patina forming on corroding copper, and the color of said patina.

Willie the Duck
2021-05-07, 06:50 AM
"Verdigris" is also a popular word, and it's that green patina forming on corroding copper, and the color of said patina.

Or just "Verdant"

Also: submitted without comment: Vermilion Cliffs national monument (https://www.blm.gov/national-conservation-lands/arizona/vermilion-cliffs)

Unavenger
2021-05-07, 04:25 PM
Or just "Verdant"

Also: submitted without comment: Vermilion Cliffs national monument (https://www.blm.gov/national-conservation-lands/arizona/vermilion-cliffs)

Yeah, I suspect that all these Vir-/Ver- words (which of course come from a fairly obvious root word meaning green, whereas I couldn't tell you the etymology of vermillion offhand) add to the confusion.

enderlord99
2021-05-07, 04:28 PM
Vermillion and chartreuse are each the color most people (including me) think of first when they hear the other's name.

SaintRidley
2021-05-07, 08:07 PM

Pokemon's Kanto region is literally the only context I have ever encountered the word vermillion in, and at no point would I have guessed red.

Peelee
2021-05-07, 08:09 PM
Pokemon's Kanto region is literally the only context I have ever encountered the word vermillion in, and at no point would I have guessed red.

Seconded. In fact, every city in Pokémon was green. It was a lovely green palet, being as I had an OG Gameboy and all.

SaintRidley
2021-05-07, 08:20 PM
Seconded. In fact, every city in Pokémon was green. It was a lovely green palet, being as I had an OG Gameboy and all.

I never played on the fat gameboy, but that didn't help me figure out what half of the colors the towns in the egion are named for were. Literally the only reason I could guess cinnabar was some kind of red was because I know what cinnamon is and Blaine's a fire trainer. Cerulean is actually a semi-uncommonly used word, so I knew it was blue. Vermillion City had Lt. Surge, so I think yellow made the most sense to me.

To be honest, the only reason I knew half the towns in Kanto were named for colors at all was the fact that the game kind of drives that home and makes it clear through puns like Pallet(te) town pointing the way. Doesn't mean there's more than two or three towns in there game where I could actually accurately guess the actual color that goes with the word, though.

MrHabit
2021-05-18, 12:33 AM

No Google, off the top of my head: Red? I think of it as a maroony-red.

Aedilred
2021-05-18, 08:57 AM
I had long thought of it as a reddish-pink purple but realised a few years ago that it's actually red.

GravityEmblem
2021-05-18, 10:36 AM
The fact that Vermillion City has the Electric Gym led me to believe it was yellow. But it's actually red. I've known that for quite a while, actually. In fact, my first thought on learning it was "but...electricity is yellow!"

No1ofIntrst
2021-05-25, 10:55 PM
I've seen enough of these to know it is dark red. However, I feel like the name should be swapped to reffering to green (maybe a very deep green). I feel like the reason I know it as green is due to both "vert" being green in french, and due to veridian/vermillion sounding far too similar, and thus forever messing up my perception of colour

Squire Doodad
2021-05-25, 11:30 PM
It's a red/orange color. I thought it was a yellow for years because of Pokemon RBY.

I believe if you play it on the GBC, the cities get tinted the relevant color.

Xuc Xac
2021-05-26, 11:09 PM
I feel like the reason I know it as green is due to both "vert" being green in french, and due to veridian/vermillion sounding far too similar, and thus forever messing up my perception of colour

"Blanche" means "to turn white" even though it starts with the same letters as "black".

Viridian (with an i) is a bluish-green from the Latin for "green".
Vermilion is reddish-orange, from the Latin for "worm" or "vermin" because it was made from crushed bugs.

Myth27
2021-05-27, 09:25 AM
Orange

Because of Pokemon

EmmyNecromancer
2021-05-27, 09:33 AM
I think vermillion is a shade of red. At least, that's what I think it is.

NulliusinVerba
2021-06-04, 06:17 AM
Apropos of nothing, I loved reading some of the comments here. It was very fun to see the guesses and honestly informative to read peoples' comments about ability and bias through this medium.

Someone should do a whole thread where people just list random really obscure colours and see if people can guess what they are without Googling them. We had chartreuse and vermillion already, what about:

Eggplant?
Wenge?
Royal Blue? (I anticipate discussion about the type of blue this is)
Coquelicot?
Taupe?
Malachite?
Primrose? (No, it's not pink)
Cobalt?

I'm sure there are plenty more, those are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head. I would look up more but... that would kind of defeat the purpose of the game. :smallbiggrin:

Lord Torath
2021-06-05, 10:23 AM
I first encountered Vermillion back in the mid eighties watch Robotech. Rick Hunter was assigned to Vermillion squadron, which had red trim.

I always wanted vermillion to be blue.

I always love the line in Diamonds are Forever in the crematorium when the 'usher' says please wait by the "restful chartreuse curtains."

sktarq
2021-06-05, 04:20 PM
Eggplant? Purple, Quite Dark, leans slightly cool IMO and usually with high saturation.
Wenge? Near Black Brown. Not sure full source but highly stained but not fully ebonized wood get this name.
Royal Blue? Very old - Indigo. Somewhat later was a lighter high intensity shade between indigo and cerulean esp in France
Coquelicot? ... huh got me
Taupe? Beige-grey
Malachite? Green. Actual shade is silly as it is taken from a stone most noteworthy for having multi-tonal bands of green colour.
Primrose? (No, it's not pink) a soft light blue. I generally think of it somewhat between "powder blue" and sky.
Cobalt? Strong blue that matches the Cobalt oxide tone. Most commonly found in various glazes and glasses. So the blue and white ceramics found all all over the world. This somewhat varies over the world due to impurities...somewhat similar to indigo/wode

enderlord99
2021-06-05, 05:15 PM
Eggplant? Purple, Quite Dark, leans slightly cool IMO and usually with high saturation.
Wenge? Near Black Brown. Not sure full source but highly stained but not fully ebonized wood get this name.
Royal Blue? Very old - Indigo. Somewhat later was a lighter high intensity shade between indigo and cerulean esp in France
Coquelicot? ... huh got me
Taupe? Beige-grey
Malachite? Green. Actual shade is silly as it is taken from a stone most noteworthy for having multi-tonal bands of green colour.
Primrose? (No, it's not pink) a soft light blue. I generally think of it somewhat between "powder blue" and sky.
Cobalt? Strong blue that matches the Cobalt oxide tone. Most commonly found in various glazes and glasses. So the blue and white ceramics found all all over the world. This somewhat varies over the world due to impurities...somewhat similar to indigo/wode

Most of those are correct, but I googled "primrose" and it's yellow, not blue. It is about that level of intensity and lightness, though.

sktarq
2021-06-05, 05:49 PM
Most of those are correct, but I googled "primrose" and it's yellow, not blue. It is about that level of intensity and lightness, though.

Eh... I associate primrose with a flower. and I suck at IDing flowers. Wood, minerals, and boating knowledge gave me the rest.

DavidSh
2021-06-06, 07:08 AM
Are we doing this here?

Eggplant? -- Most eggplants I have seen are a dark purple, almost black, but some are white, and some a lighter shade of purple. I would presume as a color name this is slightly lighter than the almost-black eggplants.
Wenge? -- I'd never heard of this. As a wild guess I'd say a pale blue, as in Wedgewood pottery.
Royal Blue? (I anticipate discussion about the type of blue this is) A fairly saturated, very slightly dark blue.
Coquelicot? I'd never heard of this. I'd guess a pale octarine.
Taupe? A very pale brown, like a beige.
Malachite? It's a greenish mineral, so I'd say a slightly dark green. Other copper minerals are blue.
Primrose? (No, it's not pink) Most flowers come in alternative colors, so I won't speculate what was chosen here.
Cobalt? I've heard of cobalt blue, but it could be like cadmium, where there are different cobalt salts of different colors.

Eldan
2021-06-07, 05:55 AM
Apropos of nothing, I loved reading some of the comments here. It was very fun to see the guesses and honestly informative to read peoples' comments about ability and bias through this medium.

Someone should do a whole thread where people just list random really obscure colours and see if people can guess what they are without Googling them. We had chartreuse and vermillion already, what about:

Eggplant?
Wenge?
Coquelicot?
Taupe?
Malachite?
Cobalt?

I'm sure there are plenty more, those are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head. I would look up more but... that would kind of defeat the purpose of the game. :smallbiggrin:

Geez. Okay, These are hard. English colour names are hard, Latin ones are much easier, since they have etymology I can guess.

Eggplant: sounds like a trick Question. Modern eggplants are Purple-black, while heirloom lines are, well, egg-coloured. I'm going with very dark purple.

Wenge: oh, get off. That's impossible. No guess. Moving on.

Royal Blue: Well, it's blue? A relatively deep blue. Might be interesting to see if it's different from Königsblau or bleu royal, though. Probably not that much.

Coqueliquot: French name for the Poppy? So I'd guess a vibrant red.

Taupe: eh? Sounds like a boring colour. Let's say… a type of grey or grey-brown.

Malachite: as the Mineral. Copper Carbonate... hydroxide IIRC? So something like Cu(CO2)(OH)x. Very strong green.

Primrose: geez, who knows. They have all manner of colours. There's a million variations. I would have guessed either pale yellow or pink, but from how you asked, I'm guessing not that. Uh... green? Violet?

Cobalt: elemental Cobalt is just metallic, but various salts are used as dyes and they are all blue.

Eldan
2021-06-07, 05:57 AM

Interesting. I just googled Primrose and found this…

https://www.ppgpaints.com/color/color-families/pinks/primrose

Iruka
2021-06-07, 06:33 AM

Eggplant?
Wenge?
Coquelicot?
Taupe?
Malachite?
Cobalt?

That is a fun game.

Eggplant - going from the actual plant, a dark purple?
Wenge - no idea, never heard of it
Royal blue - a dark, saturated blue
Coquelicot - that's the sound a rooster makes :smalltongue:
Taupe - some bluish grey, a hint of violet?
Malachite - going from the mineral, some kind of green. On the bluish side, I would say.
Primrose - if pink is out, then I have no clue
Cobalt - a bright blue, as in 'cobalt-blue sky'

SaintRidley
2021-07-05, 10:06 PM

Eggplant?
Wenge?
Coquelicot?
Taupe?
Malachite?
Cobalt?

- Eggplant? Purple
- Wenge? That's a made up word and not a color
- Royal Blue? Purple
- Coquelicot? Also a made up word
- Taupe? Puke green
- Malachite? Silver
- Primrose? Yellow
- Cobalt? Blue. This is the only one aside from eggplant that I feel remotely confident about.

enderlord99
2021-07-05, 11:39 PM
Interesting. I just googled Primrose and found this…

https://www.ppgpaints.com/color/color-families/pinks/primrose

I did too, but since the question specified "not pink" I went with the second result.

Lysbeth
2021-07-14, 06:35 PM
Red? I'm colour-blind but I think I know this one

danzibr
2021-07-24, 10:24 PM

I’m guessing the greenish mixup comes from viridian.

Penguinator
2021-07-25, 05:13 PM
I never played on the fat gameboy, but that didn't help me figure out what half of the colors the towns in the egion are named for were. Literally the only reason I could guess cinnabar was some kind of red was because I know what cinnamon is and Blaine's a fire trainer. Cerulean is actually a semi-uncommonly used word, so I knew it was blue. Vermillion City had Lt. Surge, so I think yellow made the most sense to me.

The fact that Vermillion City has the Electric Gym led me to believe it was yellow. But it's actually red. I've known that for quite a while, actually. In fact, my first thought on learning it was "but...electricity is yellow!"

This is what I thought for a long time, Vermillion Gym was Lt. Surge, so Vermillion must be yellow. I had to learn that Vermillion was red later in life.

On the other hand, Cerulean was one of my favorite crayons and I used it all the time - it was my favorite blue.

BUT I didn't play Pokemon until Gold and Silver. I watched the anime before that, so I had no clue all the towns were color names. I knew Cerulean was, but thought nothing of it.

The red green show?

I've never met anybody else who knows The Red Green Show, so this is very exciting for me. :smalltongue:

I google what Chartreuse is every time I heard the word.
It's between yellow and green.

I had an interesting experience once where I was trying to find a quote from Cyberchase. I remembered THE Hacker wanting a fog or something he was spreading to be puce, his favorite color, but his minions misheard him and used chartreuse. "Chartreuse? I wanted Puce!"
Now I might have misremembered all of that, but I came across a group of people who were arguing which was chartreuse and which was puce. Interesting times.

Telonius
2021-07-28, 09:35 AM
I've never met anybody else who knows The Red Green Show, so this is very exciting for me. :smalltongue:

We're all in this together. :smallbiggrin:

As for vermillion:
Kind of halfway between red and orange. Not red-orange or orange-red either, in my mental picture it has a rusty-brown tone to it.

Xuc Xac
2021-07-28, 10:22 PM
https://ak.picdn.net/shutterstock/videos/3179032/thumb/1.jpg

Spider_Jerusalem
2021-07-29, 11:12 AM
That's actually a very easy question because of my native language, but the reasoning for it being easy actually brought me to think quite a lot about latin languages. You see, "red" is "vermelho" in Portuguese, which makes the question really easy for us. Usually, Spanish, French and Italian would have similar words, but nope, they've got "rojo", "rouge" and "rosso". That brings another layer of linguistic fun as you learn that the Portuguese word "roxo", which is kinda similar to those three words, means "purple", and "rosa", similar to the Italian "rosso", is "pink". And purple, again, has completely different names for all 4 languages ("roxo" in Portuguese, "púrpura" in Spanish, "mauve" in French and "viola" in Italian). So yeah, romance languages are similar, but apparently not so much. Then again, "púrpura", "pourpre" and "porpora" are also names for purple in Portuguese, French and Italian respectively. So yeah, there's that.

By the way, the image that comes to my mind reading "vermillion" is actually orange, for Pokémon reasons. So in the end that wasn't a very easy question. At all.

elros
2021-08-24, 11:40 AM
I didn't check the internet, but I guess it's some type of purple.

Oran
2021-08-31, 08:48 PM
I think it might be some shade of red?

Faily
2021-09-15, 05:47 PM
Have known it's red for like... 20+ years. Once you've done color-theory and such in art school, as well as more advanced color-names, you learn to recognize specific shades of a color. Artists tend to be ones who are very picky and peculiar about correct color-naming (why else do you think off-white and beige have so many colors in-between with many different names?). :smallwink: :smalltongue:

Also in the Chinese constellations, you have the four symbols that are Azure Dragon, White Tiger, Black Tortoise, and Vermillion Bird, which represents the element of fire and is depicted as a red pheasant-like bird. So another point for people into mythology stuff.

Lhurgyof
2021-10-04, 12:24 PM
Orange is my guess.