PDA

View Full Version : Fairie PCs: How can a lteeny tiny fey carry their share of the treasure?

Cyclops08
2021-03-15, 11:11 AM
asking for a friend
I know 5e rules for carry weight and tiny folk are broken...but just carrying the coins for a night at the tavern would be rather bulky for a 12 inch tall PC.

Frankly, I would like to play with the innate magic of the fey. if a STR score lets them carry 90 pounds, I would let the fey have a free equipment of a fey bag: it can carry the weight for the fey. It is not an extra dimensional space, it just offsets the weight and resizes the equipment to farie size.
would that work for your campaign? is that acting like a free magic item the other players don't get?

KorvinStarmast
2021-03-15, 11:15 AM
They carry the gems, the big folks carry the heavier stuff. :smallcool: Teamwork.
Trust us, we'd never mistreat the gems, or 'lose' them - really!. :smallconfused:

(Later on, put a bag of holding in one's backpack and Bob's your uncle ...)P

AvvyR
2021-03-15, 11:31 AM
I think too many people are thinking of Faeries as Tinkerbell (a pixie) when they should be thinking of Oberon and Titania.

MoiMagnus
2021-03-15, 11:32 AM
There is a question that will often come back: do your table want to actually deal with the fact that the fey is tiny (for good and bad), or do they want this race choice to remain mostly transparent (with the main drawbacks being erased for convenience, and the main exploits being banned)?

You can run a table with "deal with it". The character is tiny, they cannot carry treasure by themselves, end of the question. Maybe the character has a best friend which is very strong and carry for two. Maybe the character do not care about personal wealth, let the other take the treasures, but expect that whenever they need something the other will pay for them as compensation for those debts. Maybe the character has a high intelligence is keeping track precisely of all this wealth that they should have but is carried by someone else.

But maybe that's too much bother for your table, and the other players don't want to have to worry about the fact that one of their teammate is not able to carry his own loot. In which case, yes, some kind of fey bag that carry items is a good idea.

You need to talk to your players, and not just the one considering to be a tiny fey.

Millstone85
2021-03-15, 11:42 AM
In the recent Feywild UA, they made fairies "wee folk, but not nearly as much so as their pixie and sprite friends" that are considered Small instead of Tiny.

Is this thread about making them Tiny anyway, and what to do then?

Lord Vukodlak
2021-03-15, 12:06 PM
I think too many people are thinking of Faeries as Tinkerbell (a pixie) when they should be thinking of Oberon and Titania.
You mean Elves?

In the recent Feywild UA, they made fairies "wee folk, but not nearly as much so as their pixie and sprite friends" that are considered Small instead of Tiny.

Is this thread about making them Tiny anyway, and what to do then?
I think this thread is completely unrelated to the recent UA release.

Valmark
2021-03-15, 01:03 PM
If a character was Tiny (regardless of what they are exactly) carry weight wouldn't matter as much as dimensions I think- if something's too big you can't stuff it in your bag or carry it even, depending on the exact size.

Imo yes, the magic bag is acting like a free magic item nobody else gets- I don't like offsetting a PC's disadvantages just because, since they picked X thing for a reason. They could find one in-game, of course- it would make a lot of sense as, for example, a reward.

Of course if the party's cool with it then zero issue.

KorvinStarmast
2021-03-15, 01:11 PM
One could always just get an adamantine fly swatter and dispatch the Fairie out of hand ... :belkar:
I mean, come on, WWBD? (What Would Belkar Do?)

GentlemanVoodoo
2021-03-15, 01:23 PM
As one person said already the bigger folks carry the bigger items.

Though unless the group you are in is really forcing the carrying capacity rules, just ignore it. But if your group is a stickler for the rules then that is where the effects of the Enlarge/Reduce spell comes in.

Imbalance
2021-03-15, 02:10 PM
I dunno, I guess if one can imagine weefolk integration with a party of PC's, then weefolk societal integration shouldn't be much of a stretch, alluding to the fact that loot should commonly contain a portion of miniscule coinage or what have you equally fungible to common currency due to craftsmanship or magical properties.

Unless that exhausts too much creative thinking for a given high fantasy narrative...

Wait, how'd it work on Kidd Video?

Nifft
2021-03-15, 02:17 PM
In the recent Feywild UA, they made fairies "wee folk, but not nearly as much so as their pixie and sprite friends" that are considered Small instead of Tiny. Yeah, I went back and checked thanks to this thread.

Is this thread about making them Tiny anyway, and what to do then? I like this direction.

Cats are Tiny, and cats can carry some stuff. Probably not a big sword, but certainly a couple rolls of quarters could be strapped into "saddle bags" and carried around. Not sure how many GP that would equate into, but it's definitely more than none.

Since faerie flight is magical, there's nothing required in the direction of bones being hollow or weight being low. In fact it's possible the faerie flies by focusing magic into a thing which she's standing on top of, including perhaps a pile of gold. So just load up whatever's her carrying capacity into a strong, and let her fly around by standing on it.

Gyor
2021-03-15, 02:18 PM

Exactly, these are the big daddies of Faerie folk, Pixies and Nixies and Sprites do the job of the more tradition winged Fairies, Faeries are higher up the food chain and are more unique, akin to Archefey, but less powerful (until they become Archefey).

Gyor
2021-03-15, 02:20 PM
You mean Elves?

I think this thread is completely unrelated to the recent UA release.

No, Elves are related, but seperate from Fairies.

Like Elves are like Dogs, with Archefey Elaradin at the top, and Fairies are nearly at the Fey evolutionairy top, above Pixies, but below none Eladarin Archefey .

Waterdeep Merch
2021-03-15, 02:25 PM
I was a small sized fairy in a game about two years ago. I thought carrying bulky items was silly too, so I actually argued limiting my carrying capacity to half of the normal rules made sense, as well as making anything larger than myself essentially impossible to carry. I was very deliberate in mentioning what containers I had on hand and what was in them. It was never required of me, I just thought it helped with my verisimilitude.

I was also a paladin, however, and used find steed and a not-insignificant amount of funding to make a posh fairy-sized wagon mansion that could carry myself and whatever I wanted with style. In dungeons, I relied on allies. Even if you're not a paladin, I'd recommend a horse and wagon for the big stuff when traveling and accepting your limitations when you're indoors. Make good friends with your party's biggest meat shield.

I also had a wicker backpack custom built for our warforged cleric so that they could carry me into places that were fairy-hostile (I was unseelie, it came up a lot), like superstitious towns or across a snowy mountaintop. In return, I made a point of defending my carrier first in battle.

Ogun
2021-03-15, 10:06 PM
I've not played a huge amount of 5E but no one seems to track carrying capacity this edition.
There also isn't much to spend loot on.

In earlier editions I played a lot of low strength casters, but mage armor kept off the weight and undead minions can carry quite a bit, without tiring.

I have long advocated for a spell that would convert treasure into "lootium", a compact and lightweight magical currency that could be reconstituted into its original form with a second casting of the spell.
The idea is ridiculous, but no more than ignoring encumbrance or that retrieving hundreds of pounds of treasure is a reoccurring event in most campaigns.

greenstone
2021-03-15, 10:10 PM
I know 5e rules for carry weight and tiny folk are broken...but just carrying the coins for a night at the tavern would be rather bulky for a 12 inch tall PC.

Why do you think they are broken? A 12 inch tall humanoid is tiny. You are talking something the height of a house cat, but with a tenth of the mass. A creature that small will always be struggling in a world suited to medium sized creatures. Check out the Irwin Allen tv series 'Land of the Giants" for inspiration.

Nifft
2021-03-15, 10:14 PM
Why do you think they are broken? A 12 inch tall humanoid is tiny. You are talking something the height of a house cat, but with a tenth of the mass. A creature that small will always be struggling in a world suited to medium sized creatures. Check out the Irwin Allen tv series 'Land of the Giants" for inspiration.

Objection!

Cats can be very, very long. This truth is well documented on the internet.

Being "as tall as a cat" means being Halfling size, if the cat is stretched out, so it's more likely that the Tiny humanoid is roughly as massive as a cat, not as tall as an extended cat (nor of course as short as a compact cat).

Blood of Gaea
2021-03-15, 10:24 PM
Buy a mule and allow the party to make use of it.

Lord Vukodlak
2021-03-16, 02:08 AM
Objection!

Being "as tall as a cat" means being Halfling size, if the cat is stretched out, so it's more likely that the Tiny humanoid is roughly as massive as a cat, not as tall as an extended cat (nor of course as short as a compact cat).

Halflings are three feet tall. A big Maine-Coone could qualify as small sized.
Yes I know that’s not how it’s spelled but it’s name shares a word with a slur.

Elbeyon
2021-03-16, 02:18 AM
Do what the players find fun. Do they want to use the rules as they are? Do they want to struggle to carry stuff. If they want to be super strong for their size let them use the standard rules! They are magical. Let them carry 70 pounds. They have the strength to do it.

Now all i can imagine is faeries beating medium sized creatures in arm wrestles because they have equal or higher strength.

Nifft
2021-03-16, 05:02 AM
Halflings are three feet tall. A big Maine-Coone could qualify as small sized.
Yes I know that’s not how it’s spelled but it’s name shares a word with a slur.

Maine-Coones are probably some kind of Dire Housecats. (I like your spelling and I'm using it from now on.)

A Faerie could potentially ride a Dire Housecat, much as a Halfling might ride a War Corgi.

rel
2021-03-17, 03:08 AM
If you want to play a sprite, you get to deal with the penalties. Get a hireling, get a mule, convince a party member to carry things for you, embrace minimalism or get creative.

I tell you what the loot is, getting it out of the dungeon and safely back to town is your problem.

Samayu
2021-03-17, 09:51 PM
What does a tiny Fey need with money?

Not sure if that should be blue text.

kingcheesepants
2021-03-17, 10:58 PM
What's the class of this hypothetical tiny PC? If they're a caster they can use magehand for grabbing and moving stuff and floating disk (assuming they have access to wizard rituals somehow) to actually cart everything around.

RSP
2021-03-18, 06:41 AM
There is a question that will often come back: do your table want to actually deal with the fact that the fey is tiny (for good and bad), or do they want this race choice to remain mostly transparent (with the main drawbacks being erased for convenience, and the main exploits being banned)?

This, in my opinion, is the correct answer.

Either hand waive it, and the creature counts as small for all intents and purposes; or it gets the benefits and drawbacks of being Tiny.

As a Player, it would annoy me if another PC’s size was only an advantage. As a DM I wouldn’t allow it.

There’s a lot of rules interactions in being a Tiny PC, so I’d be very careful before I’d allow Tiny PCs: cover for one, loot carrying but also found item sizing - good luck fitting into the magic armor found on the not-Tiny enemy. One that I just thought of writing this: how would a Tiny character interact with a Swarm of Rats or similar Tiny-sized swarm?

JonBeowulf
2021-03-18, 06:57 AM
This, in my opinion, is the correct answer.

Either hand waive it, and the creature counts as small for all intents and purposes; or it gets the benefits and drawbacks of being Tiny.

As a Player, it would annoy me if another PC’s size was only an advantage. As a DM I wouldn’t allow it.

There’s a lot of rules interactions in being a Tiny PC, so I’d be very careful before I’d allow Tiny PCs: cover for one, loot carrying but also found item sizing - good luck fitting into the magic armor found on the not-Tiny enemy. One that I just thought of writing this: how would a Tiny character interact with a Swarm of Rats or similar Tiny-sized swarm?

This. This. This. This.

Choices should have consequences. My biggest gripe about TCoE is that it removed some of those consequences from race selection. We often see threads from folks asking for help making X class better at doing Y and ~80% of the responses are "don't play X".

You want to play a tiny race... then deal with the consequences of being tiny.
You want to play a fighter... then deal with the fact your not something else.
You want to play a non-human-looking race... then deal with the fact that human-looking races may treat you differently.

To the OP, though, I see no problem with your idea. Just be careful not to remove all the badness that comes with being tiny.

da newt
2021-03-18, 10:16 AM
Is there a Tiny playable race in any published reference? I think it's only homebrew ...

stoutstien
2021-03-18, 10:47 AM
Is there a Tiny playable race in any published reference? I think it's only homebrew ...

New UA is the refresher for the tiny PC question.

On that question a fairy PC could just be an artificer or genie warlock for the free storage space. Bonus points for multi-classing both for more carrying capacity than most other PCs.

RSP
2021-03-18, 12:56 PM
Objection!

Wouldn’t “tall” (or height) for a cat be the distance, with all four paws on the ground, from floor to the top of the head? And length be tail to nose?

Not sure it’s a fair assessment to judge how tall a cat is by artificially using its length instead of its height.

Elbeyon
2021-03-18, 01:03 PM
Am I missing something? The average fairy can carry 75 pounds. That is a good chunk of carrying capacity. It's not like they will have trouble picking up most objects. They can carry around 4,000 gold coins.

micahaphone
2021-03-18, 02:07 PM
Am I missing something? The average fairy can carry 75 pounds. That is a good chunk of carrying capacity. It's not like they will have trouble picking up most objects. They can carry around 4,000 gold coins.

I think the concern is volume, not weight. Assuming US currency as a baseline, if a gold coin is the same size as a quarter (roughly equal to a Loonie for canadians or a 1 euro piece for europeans), we usually bundle 40 quarters in a roll. 4000 gold is 100 rolls, that's a lot, here's a picture of ~100 rolls

https://www.reddit.com/r/CRH/comments/c3ixhf/jawdropping_ordered_two_boxes_of_machinewrapped/

Personally, I could see a gnome or other "small" sized humanoid wearing one of those boxes (aka 50 rolls) as a large backpack about the size of their own body.

Elbeyon
2021-03-18, 02:14 PM
100 rolls would be difficult to carry for anyone, but if the fairy has the weight capacity they can carry it. Dnd doesn't care about volume. If it did, a lot more than just the fairy would be in trouble. A container like a backpack or cheap sack should work fine for easy carrying just like every other character.

Nifft
2021-03-18, 02:28 PM
Wouldn’t “tall” (or height) for a cat be the distance, with all four paws on the ground, from floor to the top of the head? And length be tail to nose?

Not sure it’s a fair assessment to judge how tall a cat is by artificially using its length instead of its height.

We're actually judging how tall a Tiny Faerie PC would be, and the cat is merely used as a source of comparison, since cats are Tiny. Faeries don't have tails, so ignore that, and just look at the relative size of torso, total mass, etc. That's a decent ballpark figure for a Tiny PC.

(Also, of course, there are bipedal cats (https://pictures-of-cats.org/5-bipedal-domestic-cat-pictures.html), because cats evolve when bored.)