PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Which is More Balanced? The Aberrant Mind vs Oracular Sorcerer

HPisBS
2021-03-15, 05:02 PM
Years ago, I homebrewed a psychic Sorcerous Origin and, looking it over again, I feel like I did a better job balancing it against the other official subclasses than WotC did balancing the Aberrant Mind (and CW Soul).

It included a bit of copy-pasta, a bunch of original stuff, and 5 bonus spells because I think ALL Sorcerers should get some bonus thematic spells (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?608257-Thematic-Sorcerer-Subclass-Spells&p=24394454).

I'm curious how you fine forum folks think I did.

https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/HJKQKnRIl

Oracular Sorcerous Origin

The hidden truths of the world aren't so hidden from you. Perhaps a brush with death exposed your mind to another Plane, expanding your perception forevermore. Or maybe a deity of knowledge, divination, or magic, such as Apollo, Savras, Mystra, Tymora, or Isis blessed your birth. Whatever the case, you can’t help but glimpse things you shouldn’t know, things from beyond your own experience - be they from the future, the past, or even elsewhere in the present.

Portent
You see signs of what may come and can use your innate magic to influence those things. Starting at 1st level, when you finish a long rest, roll two d20s and record the results. You may replace any d20 rolled by you or a creature you can see with one of these foretelling rolls. You must choose to do so before the roll, and can replace a roll in this way only once per round. Each roll can only be used once. Once you finish a long rest, you lose any unused rolls

Inner Oracle
You gain the following spells at the listed sorcerer level. These spells do not count against the number of sorcerer spells you know. Additionally, you are considered to have the Ritual Caster feature for any spell you gain from this feature.

Oracular Spells:

Level
Spell

1st
Identify

2nd
Augury

5th
Speak With Dead

7th
Divination

9th
Scrying

Psychometry
Starting at 6th level, you gain a new, uncontrollable ability: psychometry. At random times of the DM's choosing, you may get brief visions when touching objects. These visions are of some event that happened or will happen in its presence. Or, in rare cases, it may involve what the the most recent person who touched it is currently doing. An object normally triggers only one vision, and you only ever experience that vision once. You are considered incapacitated, as well as blinded and deafened to your body's surroundings during these visions. Luckily, they rarely intrude while you’re in peril.

Déjà Vu
Starting at 6th level, you find that you often have a strong sensation that you already experienced the experience that you're currently experiencing. This sensation is often more distracting than helpful, but it can still alert you to danger before your regular perception would. You gain a +2 bonus to initiative. Also, when you would be surpised, roll a d20. On a 10 or higher, you aren't surprised.

Additionally, when you would gain an ability score improvement from reaching a new sorcerer level, you may instead choose to gain the Alert feat and still add +1 to any ability score of your choice. If you have the Alert feat, then the bonus to initiative from Déjà Vu is reduced to +1 (total of +6).

Willful Psychometry
Starting at 14th level, you gain the ability to purposefully trigger your Psychometry, up to three times per long rest. When you do so, roll a d20. On a 10 or higher, you may choose whether you witness a past or future event. On a 16 or higher, you may alternatively choose to see what the the most recent person who touched it is currently doing. (The DM may offer a vision of the present as an option when you roll in the 10-15 range, at their discretion.)

On a 20, this vision does not count against the number of visions you can purposefully trigger before completing your next long rest.

You also gain enough control over your Psychometry that you can will yourself to not see these visions, or even to end one you are already experiencing, before its completion.

Precognizant
At 14th level, your ability to tap into the flow of time has greatly evolved, allowing you to sense the immediate future when you focus. You may now use a bonus action or reaction to gain a +2 bonus to your AC and saving throws not made to concentrate, and a +1 bonus to attack rolls and save DCs you impose on others. Focusing in this way uses your concentration, as though concentrating on a spell.

Preemption
Starting at 18th level, you can spend 7 Sorcery points to cast Foresight on yourself without verbal, somatic, or material components. All your other Oracular abilities still apply. You cannot alter this spell with metamagic.

- So players, which seems more fun to play?

- DMs, which would you rather manage?

- Forums, which is better balanced against the earlier published subclasses? And which feels more psychic (or psionic)?

HPisBS
2021-04-28, 08:06 PM
Come on. Nearly 10k views and nobody has any thoughts on it? Nobody has any comment about which accomplishes the theme better, or which is the more interesting theme to begin with?

Nobody wants to say whether they think it's a good or bad thing to just copy Portent?

Nothing about Psychometry being a good way to fish for info, or an excuse for the DM to feed the PCs plot hooks?

Nobody wants to hate on Déjà Vu for being finnicky, or having a weird, unprecedented feat interaction?

No opinions on basically giving a Sorcerer an extra 9th level spell per day so long as that spell is Foresight (which isn't on the Sorcerer's list)?

No opinion on which is overall more balanced?

Nobody even wants to complain about posting a homebrew with such a similar theme to an official subclass?

Just... nothin? 😢

clash
2021-05-01, 11:26 AM
Alright let's give this a shot:

Portent: I think it's fine porting this onto a sorcerer subclass.

Inner oracle: these spells seem fine and are mostly rituals anyways.

Psychometry: less of an ability so much as giving the dm permission to do something they could already do anyways. Cool theme but not likely to come up if it wasn't going to anyways.

Deja vu: this ability is just poorly designed in my opinion. It gives a flat bonus, ok fine. But then it let's you take a feat at half cost which is very counter to 5e design where feats are optional. Then if you take the fast the ability itself gets worse. This is overly complex and feels more 3.5. Plus the half surprise immunity is again fiddly. Just add cha bonus to initiative and be done with it.

Willful Psychometry: this is fiddly and requires even more dm buy in and still has no real mechanics for all the fiddly bits other than ask your dm. I don't like it at all. Make it just work how you want instead of fiddly rolling. Make it once per short rest. And give it actual mechanics.

Precognizant: this ability has the opposite problem. It really has no flavor at all. It gives a couple static bonuses as a bonus action or a reaction. A reaction to what? You can't typically just use a reaction as action economy. It's called a reaction for a reason. And this is just really boring. I would suggest meeting the 2 abilities to come up with something interesting that also has mechanics attached to it.

Preemption: potentially multiple castings of a 9th level spell for the price of making a 5th level slot when no other caster gets more than 19th level spell. This is problematic. Try making a lesser foresight where you spend x sorcery points to get the benefits for a minute maybe.

Overall I'm not sure why this is being compared to aberrant mind as it has a distinctly different theme. I think it starts good but there are implementation problems once you get into the weeds.