PDA

View Full Version : Optimization The most raging of them all!

MustaKrakish
2021-03-16, 03:02 AM
Okay, gals and boys! I am going to start playing in a new campaign and I have this idea for a character.

I want to combine the zealot barbarian and the Rune Knight. I am thinking of a Broly-type character, he gets mad with rage, and then when he is pushed he uses the giant form from the Rune Knight as his "final form!!! wrrraaaaaagh!!!"

I am just not sure how to do it build-wise. More barbarian? more fighter? feats?

Thank you for the help! :)

Aett_Thorn
2021-03-16, 06:37 AM
Just make sure to use the Shifter race if you can, for even more potential anger goodness.

MustaKrakish
2021-03-16, 07:09 AM
OMG! I just noticed that the Wildhunt Shifter can ignore the penalties of Reckless Attack!

Nefariis
2021-03-16, 12:08 PM
OMG! I just noticed that the Wildhunt Shifter can ignore the penalties of Reckless Attack!

Am I missing something?

Reckless Attack -
Starting at 2nd level, you can throw aside all concern for defense to attack with fierce desperation. When you make your first attack on your turn, you can decide to attack recklessly. Doing so gives you advantage on melee weapon attack rolls using Strength during this turn, but attack rolls against you have advantage until your next turn.

Wildhunt -

Ability Score Increase - Your Wisdom score increases by 2.
Natural Tracker - You have proficiency in the Survival skill.
Mark the Scent - As a bonus action, you can mark one creature you can see within 10 feet of you. Until the end of your next long rest, your proficiency bonus is doubled for any ability check you make to find the marked creature, and you always know the location of that creature if it is within 60 feet of you. You can’t use this trait again until you finish a short or long rest.
Shifting Feature - While shifted, you have advantage on Wisdom checks.

stoutstien
2021-03-16, 12:31 PM
Am I missing something?

Reckless Attack -
Starting at 2nd level, you can throw aside all concern for defense to attack with fierce desperation. When you make your first attack on your turn, you can decide to attack recklessly. Doing so gives you advantage on melee weapon attack rolls using Strength during this turn, but attack rolls against you have advantage until your next turn.

Wildhunt -

Ability Score Increase - Your Wisdom score increases by 2.
Natural Tracker - You have proficiency in the Survival skill.
Mark the Scent - As a bonus action, you can mark one creature you can see within 10 feet of you. Until the end of your next long rest, your proficiency bonus is doubled for any ability check you make to find the marked creature, and you always know the location of that creature if it is within 60 feet of you. You can’t use this trait again until you finish a short or long rest.
Shifting Feature - While shifted, you have advantage on Wisdom checks.

No idea where that race you are looking at is from but the one in ERFLW does cancel out advantage on incoming attacks within 30ft.

NVM. You're looking at the UA race.

diplomancer
2021-03-16, 01:20 PM
No idea where that race you are looking at is from but the one in ERFLW does cancel out advantage on incoming attacks within 30ft.

NVM. You're looking at the UA race.

Yet one more of the (many) examples of the problem shifting ASIs bring; before Wildhunt shifters were not so good of a race for Barbarians because of the significant cost of +2 to Wis; but now you can have +2 to Str and reckless attack at every round with almost no downside when you are shifted.

stoutstien
2021-03-16, 01:36 PM
Yet one more of the (many) examples of the problem shifting ASIs bring; before Wildhunt shifters were not so good of a race for Barbarians because of the significant cost of +2 to Wis; but now you can have +2 to Str and reckless attack at every round with almost no downside when you are shifted.

Honestly they made decent barbarians before. Both dex and wis are strong trinary stats for barbs and spamming RA makes up for a lagging attack mod. Works well with AG and totem looking at mitigation >damage. Beast hide works as well trading risk free RA for extra THP and AC. Personally i think they make better zealots but it's just a flavor thing for me.

ASI as a balancing tool was a bad idea from the start. It only works with some of the PC generating styles and the soft caps really make it pointless in the grand scheme.

Wizard_Lizard
2021-03-16, 02:51 PM
Bonus points if you also go Bloodhunter, Lycan,

JackalTornMoons
2021-03-16, 03:26 PM

I don’t really see how this is a problem. It’s only for 1 minute/rest.

diplomancer
2021-03-16, 03:47 PM
I don’t really see how this is a problem. It’s only for 1 minute/rest.

Which is about slightly less than half the battles in a day

AvvyR
2021-03-16, 04:19 PM
It's just a shame that it would take three separate bonus actions to rage, grow, and shift, because the imagery of it all is fantastic.

MustaKrakish
2021-03-17, 12:25 AM
It's just a shame that it would take three separate bonus actions to rage, grow, and shift, because the imagery of it all is fantastic.

I agree. But I really think that the concept is so cool. I am also thinking about the Beast path. Maybe a massive half-tiger raging monster or something like that. Becoming massive when he really gets mad lol

I think that at 5th level I would be able to have one attack with a greataxe and two attacks with claws, which is kinda nice.