PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 are there ways to add NA to touch AC?

ciopo
2021-03-16, 04:36 AM
Greetings playground dwellers.
Title says all, any of you know of ways to add the natural armor (and bonus) to touch AC?
I tried researching some but I mostly found mentions on how to add armor bonus and shield bonus, but nothing about natural armor.

It's for my druid character and the majority of my shapeshifted AC is natural. Level 8

Kaleph
2021-03-16, 04:38 AM
The spell scintillating scales (SpC) seems to do what you're searching for, but unfortunately it's a sor/wiz spell with target "you", so it's non-trivial to use it for a druid...
If you have a wizard in your party, one option would be to combine it with the spell quick potion.

Kelb_Panthera
2021-03-16, 04:44 AM
Technically, scintillating scales changes your nat armor to a deflection bonus. It may not be quite what you're after as a PC.

Unfortunately, it may be your only option. A quick skim of my usual sources doesn't show a feat or class feature that produces the desired effect.

ciopo
2021-03-16, 05:09 AM
Mmm, that would only convert barkskin, not my natural armor ( which is not "bonus"), and wouldn't stack with halo of sand.

Well, if I can't, I can't :) thanks for the feedback.

Oddly enough, it might make me actually use combat expertise when I don't want to be touched, *grumbles about prereq*

Khatoblepas
2021-03-16, 05:21 AM
Mmm, that would only convert barkskin, not my natural armor ( which is not "bonus"), and wouldn't stack with halo of sand.

Well, if I can't, I can't :) thanks for the feedback.

Oddly enough, it might make me actually use combat expertise when I don't want to be touched, *grumbles about prereq*

Err, it DOES apply to all natural armour, like so:

Natural Armor Bonus
A natural armor bonus improves Armor Class resulting from a creature's naturally tough hide. Natural armor bonuses stack with all other bonuses to Armor Class (even with armor bonuses) except other natural armor bonuses. Some magical effects (such as the barkskin spell) grant an enhancement bonus to the creature's existing natural armor bonus, which has the effect of increasing the natural armor's overall bonus to Armor Class. A natural armor bonus doesn't apply against touch attacks.

It was invented specifically for dragons who have a high natural armor bonus to cast. "Natural armor bonus" is just the bonus you get from your natural armour, not the enhancement bonus TO that bonus.

Nifft
2021-03-16, 05:38 AM
Greetings playground dwellers.
Title says all, any of you know of ways to add the natural armor (and bonus) to touch AC?
I tried researching some but I mostly found mentions on how to add armor bonus and shield bonus, but nothing about natural armor.

It's for my druid character and the majority of my shapeshifted AC is natural. Level 8

Wilders (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/classes/wilder.htm) (a psionic class in the Expanded Psionics Handbook, and on the SRD) can add their Charisma to their touch AC, up to (but not exceeding) their regular AC.

This can effectively add any Natural Armor bonus to your Touch AC, so long as you've got the Charisma bonus to cover it.

It's not worth losing Druid levels though.

ciopo
2021-03-16, 05:39 AM
Oh, my bad, thanks for the clearing up on that.

It'd be a sizeable improvement over halo of sand, but getting it wiuld indeed be nontrivial

Biggus
2021-03-16, 11:18 AM
The spell scintillating scales (SpC) seems to do what you're searching for, but unfortunately it's a sor/wiz spell with target "you", so it's non-trivial to use it for a druid...
If you have a wizard in your party, one option would be to combine it with the spell quick potion.

Sadly, even this doesn't work. Quick Potion says "only spells suitable for making potions can be used in this way" and personal range spells can't be made into potions.

The only way I can think of off the top of my head is to ask your DM if the Extra Spell feat allows you to acquire none-Druid spells.

Feldar
2021-03-16, 11:21 AM

Ring of Spell Storing

Possibly a spell-storing weapon if you feel like hitting yourself.

ciopo
2021-03-16, 11:41 AM
getting the spell is relatively as simple as trading away my belt of enlarge person CL2 3/day for a belt of scintillating scales , plus/minus the adeguate monetary difference , I already have a wildling clasp purposed to the belt anyway

it's worth for me to be thinking about, thanks :)

Biggus
2021-03-16, 05:49 PM
Ring of Spell Storing

Good idea, although a bit pricey for level 8. Also depends on having someone who can cast it for you regularly available.

getting the spell is relatively as simple as trading away my belt of enlarge person CL2 3/day for a belt of scintillating scales , plus/minus the adeguate monetary difference , I already have a wildling clasp purposed to the belt anyway

Ah, if your DM allows custom magic items that makes it a lot easier, I make it just 6480GP for a 3/day item.

Gruftzwerg
2021-03-17, 12:39 AM

If you want a 100% RAW legal option: get "Southern Magician" feat on the next level (9). Now you are also an "arcane caster" and thus qualify for the use of any Eternal Wand.

Any character who can cast arcane spells can activate the wand to use the spell contained in it, regard less of whether the spell appears on his class spell list.
Eternal Wands are cheap (for 2/day unlimited use) enough to buy multiple of em if you need more charges per day.

Thurbane
2021-03-17, 05:59 PM
A bit expensive, but Drow House Insignia should work for Scintillating Scales.

DotU p.99. 3,300gp for 1/day. CL 5th.

Actually, for 5 minutes/day, not at all worth the price

Gruftzwerg
2021-03-17, 10:22 PM
A bit expensive, but Drow House Insignia should work for Scintillating Scales.

DotU p.99. 3,300gp for 1/day. CL 5th.

Actually, for 5 minutes/day, not at all worth the price

Note that Drow House Insignia explicitly allows for multiple instances itself into a single insignia (the fluff text associates them with noble or high lvl Drows). You can stack either multiple spells or more uses of the same spell into a single insignia. Use the regular rules for combining magic item effects for this. While not cheap, still an affordable option for a mundane build without access to spellcasting or UMD otherwise.
E.g. an ubercharger with Enlarge Person. I can imagine him paying that cost to have access to the spell a few times per day.
And combined with Sanctum Spell, you can craft crazy stuff like Polymorph or Last Breath into it. The item is imho straight OP if abused willingly. (btw, all Craftlocks who dip 2 lvls into Chameleon can abuse this combo, since they can easily have Sanctum Spell without picking it as regular feat)