PDA

View Full Version : An ability that connects the enemy to the player, how to do this best

.::Pr0 n00b::.
2021-03-16, 05:51 AM
So im thinking of an encounter where the enemy connects to a player. Every time he takes damage the player takes dmg too. When the enemy hits 0hp points the player dies. How do i balance this encounter the best?

Amnestic
2021-03-16, 06:11 AM
When the enemy hits 0hp points the player dies.

I hope you mean the character dies, not the player!

Anyway, I'd make it an adaptation of Warding Bond. I'll tippy type it as a spell but it works fine as just an ability too.

Soul Link
4th(?) level abjuration
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 60'
Components: V S
Duration: 10 minutes
Classes: Warlock because warlocks are evil oooooooh, doesn't really matter I guess, add it to as many classes as you like.

You can cast this spell at a target you can see within 60'. The creature must succeed on a Charisma saving throw or have a mystic connection forged between you and the target that manifests as an ethereal chain stretching from heart to heart. While the target is within 60 feet of you you gain resistance to all damage, and whenever you take damage, the target takes the same amount of damage. The target can retry the saving throw at the end of each of their turns as long as they are not incapacitated.

The spell ends if you drop to 0 hit points or if you and the target become separated by more than 60 feet. It also ends if the spell is cast again on either of the connected creatures. You can also dismiss the spell as an action.

I wouldn't have the spell kill the target creature if the casting creature reaches 0hp. An instant-death effect doesn't really feel in line with 5e philosophy. Have them take damage, and if the target creature drops to 0 they make death saves as normal. Combat healing finally important :D

DwarfFighter
2021-03-16, 07:32 AM
So im thinking of an encounter where the enemy connects to a player. Every time he takes damage the player takes dmg too. When the enemy hits 0hp points the player dies. How do i balance this encounter the best?

Balance it by not having the player character die, or at least making it very clear to them that reducing the enemy to 0 hp means the connected player character dies rather than just being dropped to 0 hp too.

There also needs to be some way to break the connection, Remove Curse or Wish seem to be popular counters to things like this, or something more mundane like breaking concentration, or having either of the connected characters drop to 0 hp for any reason, or have a repeatable save to escape the condition. Lots of options, but hard to say what level of threat they are to serve as a balance against.

It's given me some inspiration: I imagine having the PCs find a ring or something with a beneficial effect that entices them to wear it. A few days later, while resting the character suddenly starts taking damage over a few turns and find that the ring cannot be removed. An NPC wearing the companion ring has just been through a combat encounter, hence the damage. Playing on this the PCs will eventually be able to piece together the clues and find that one of their characters is now connected to an NPC. Will they co-operate or will there be conflict? The NPC is sure to have his own agenda and will want something out of the situation, as may the PC.

-DF

MaXenzie
2021-03-16, 07:05 PM
You should consider the Tether Essence spell from Explorer's Guide to Wildemount.

It does exactly what you're asking.