PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Entering Church Inquisitor @ 3rd -- a way to get zone of truth as Su/SLA?

Elves
2021-03-16, 10:23 AM
As title says, anyone know a place to get zone of truth as (sp) or (su) in order to enter church inquisitor at 3rd?

Kaleph
2021-03-16, 10:30 AM
I'm not sure if I've got your question - do you explicitly need it as SLA or Su, not as a spell?
Besides the obvious cleric casting, touchstone-catalogue of enlightenment-inquisition domain should work at level 3, IIRC, but you are considered as casting the spell, and not using a SLA.

Zarvistic
2021-03-16, 10:37 AM
Magical Training + Precocious Apprentice would do it I think, but pretty costly.

Elves
2021-03-16, 10:42 AM
Magical Training + Precocious Apprentice would do it I think, but pretty costly.

Thought PrApp had to be arcane, guess not. But yeah costly also reqs 15 int or cha which for clr is tough.

smasher0404
2021-03-16, 10:48 AM
To be completely honest, I'm not sure that getting it as a (sp) or (su) ability would actually qualify you for Church Inquisitor by RAW since the requirement specifies the ability to cast Zone of Truth as a divine spell.

However, if the DM has already signed off on (sp) and (su) abilities qualifying, you could theoretically enter at ECL 3 by paying to be Spellstitched (Complete Arcane) using Song of the Dead (Dragon Compendium) to convert Zone of Truth to a Necromancy Spell (and one of several means of getting it into a Wizard's spellbook).

Elves
2021-03-16, 05:17 PM
Oh, good catch. Seems to be a muddy issue whether SLAs count as arcane/divine. Here (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=22538483&postcount=3)'s an informative post on it. Apparently there are a few scattered references to the idea that they are, but nothing concrete. Rules out su for certain.

It looks like the least controversial route is getting an arcane CL through a template or something and then using PrApp -- which looks like it applies fine to a divine class.

Kaleph
2021-03-16, 06:22 PM
Why isn't catalogue of enlightenment working for your purposes?

Nihilarian
2021-03-20, 08:48 PM
Thought PrApp had to be arcane, guess not. But yeah costly also reqs 15 int or cha which for clr is tough.then don't play a cleric. There are a bunch of divine casters that rely on int and/or cha. Archivist and Favored Soul being the most obvious of these

bean illus
2021-03-21, 10:12 AM
Ten charact

Troacctid
2021-03-21, 10:47 AM
Zone of truth is already a 2nd-level spell for clerics, so I don't know why you'd need the Catalogues of Enlightenment. All they do is give it to you at the same ECL you normally get it.

Elves
2021-03-21, 04:05 PM
On the question of whether SLAs can be divine or arcane, IDK what to make of that text for the magebane weapon about arcane SLAs. You could conclude that there's no such thing, so that part of its wording is meaningless. But since it's never said that there's no such thing I don't think dismissing evidence is justified. Weird inclarities.

Troacctid
2021-03-21, 04:33 PM
On the question of whether SLAs can be divine or arcane, IDK what to make of that text for the magebane weapon about arcane SLAs. You could conclude that there's no such thing, so that part of its wording is meaningless. But since it's never said that there's no such thing I don't think dismissing evidence is justified. Weird inclarities.
SLAs default to being neither arcane nor divine; however, invocations are a subcategory of SLAs that are explicitly arcane in nature.

Elves
2021-03-21, 04:59 PM
Ah got it. Sometimes wish these things would be a little more explicit.