PDA

View Full Version : is there a Deathlock template?

tepes
2021-03-16, 11:23 AM
ok so for any one who doesn't know what a death lock is it's a monster from Libris Mortis.

so here's my question, is there supposed to be a template layout for the deathlock stats, the reason i ask this is because the monster entry has a level adjustment AND the fluff text is all about live spellcasters turning into these and retaining spellcasting abilities, like if they had levels, but that would only really work if it was stated to be used as a template.

maybe this exists some where like a Q&A or perhaps an errata I don't know about, its just that LA being there was kind of messing with me so i figured id bring my troubles to you all in the playground.

thanks in advance for any answers:smallbiggrin:

Troacctid
2021-03-16, 02:10 PM
Nope. Turning into a deathlock gives you a standardized statblock, like many other types of undead.

KillianHawkeye
2021-03-16, 04:24 PM
BTW, lots of monsters have Level Adjustment without being based on templates, so your cause for concern here was erroneous.

Blue Jay
2021-03-16, 08:30 PM
ok so for any one who doesn't know what a death lock is it's a monster from Libris Mortis.

so here's my question, is there supposed to be a template layout for the deathlock stats, the reason i ask this is because the monster entry has a level adjustment AND the fluff text is all about live spellcasters turning into these and retaining spellcasting abilities, like if they had levels, but that would only really work if it was stated to be used as a template.

Some undead don't use templates, even when they're supposed to represent an undead transformation. With non-template undead, you basically replace your current abilities with the monster's ability. So when you become a deathlock, you lose all your abilities, all your existing class levels, and all your stats; and you become the monster as it's written in the book. So, you have 3 HD (undead type), and LA +2 (meaning you're effectively a 5th-level character for determining how fast you earn XP and when you level up).

It makes for a very awkward narrative transition, because there's very little continuity between your original character and your now-undead character.

But, you can still advance as normal. When you level up, you just add a level of your class to the monster. So, then you'd have 3 "levels" of deathlock, 2 "levels" of Level Adjustment, and 1 level of whatever class you choose. It works just like multiclassing, except that your first "class" is actually your racial hit dice.