PDA

View Full Version : Player Help help new chara options

Thac0 Redeye
2021-03-16, 02:30 PM
Hello all,
I am building a character for a new campaign. I am making a Goliath Barbarian. I want to be the stereotypical stupid fighter. I am fashioning him based on Thog from the gitp linear guild. I would like some ideas for ACF, PrC, feats, sub levels, etc. I have the current idea of focusing on charging. looking at power charge, rhino armor, leap attack, etc. my stats: str 22, dex16, con 18, wis 12, int 6, cha 6.
almost all books allowed but no ebberron, psionics, and TOB.
thanks

Nifft
2021-03-16, 02:40 PM
Leap Attack makes me think you want what's called an "Uber-Charger" -- you can google that and get some good specific builds.

For an ACFs, you want Lion Spirit Totem (trade away fast move to get Pounce) from Complete Champion.

Other key feats are Improved Bull Rush and Shock Trooper, the former to qualify for the latter, and the latter to reduce AC for more Power Attack damage instead of reducing accuracy.

Not sure if Power Charge is worth taking compared to what you can get from Shock Trooper + Leap Attack.

RNightstalker
2021-03-16, 08:03 PM
Roll With It from Savage Species improves DR and will stack with the class feature from Barbarian.

PoeticallyPsyco
2021-03-16, 08:57 PM
Goliaths have access to the Mountain Rage ACF, where they get so angry they literally grow to Large size. Doesn't stack with Powerful Build (so you don't have to recalculate those bonuses or grab new weapons), but does let them threaten a much bigger area and is visually great.

If you want to lean into the 'smash puny foes' angle, you might be interested in the Dungeoncrasher Fighter ACFs, which let you bull-rush enemies into objects/walls/the floor for bonus damage. Grab the Knockback feat when you get the opportunity, to automatically bull-rush when you do enough damage in a hit.

The Spirit Lion Totem ACF (Complete Champion) already got mentioned, and it's fantastic. Another good one that you can pair with that or just take on its own is Wolf Totem (SRD (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm)), which gives you Improved Trip as a bonus feat without needing to take Combat Expertise first. From there, the Knock-Down feat is excellent, letting you trip when you do enough damage in a hit, and then attack them again courtesy of Improved Trip.

Um, what else. Extra Rage is a good feat to boost your daily sustain. Warblade is a fantastic barbarian-esque class; one good build could be Goliath Barbarian 2/ Dungeoncrasher Fighter 2/ Warblade X.

Thac0 Redeye
2021-03-19, 05:44 PM
Ok thanks great suggestions. I have already incorporated some of them into my plans. I do have one rules question for the Dungeon crasher ACF (Ftr 2). If I bull rush and the on my attack, and the foe has another foe behind him, do they both take damage? or is the damage split between the two?