PDA

View Full Version : "Stupid X" Alignments?

Cyclone231
2007-11-09, 05:29 PM
Okay, so I've heard of the good old "Chaotic Stupid", but I'm curious - are there other such alignments?

Randalor
2007-11-09, 05:32 PM
Lawful stupid, AKA: Stereotypical "Holier than thou" paladin

Azerian Kelimon
2007-11-09, 05:33 PM
Lawful stupid, Evil stupid, mostly. It's pretty hard to play a Good stupid character, though maybe if you took all the vows from BoED you'd be one.

Oeryn
You can pretty much replace any half of any of the alignments with the word "Stupid", and somebody's done it.

Kalai_Eljahn
Lawful Stupid is most commonly invoked. Also, I've heard cats called Chaotic Insane...

KIDS
2007-11-09, 05:35 PM
Neutral Bloodthirsty is another one. "I'm true neutral so I have to kill the old man and drink his blood, then donate everything I own to the temple to maintain balance in the world".

Drascin
2007-11-09, 05:40 PM
The other generally accepted one is Lawful Stupid - to sum up, the hardheaded idiot who keeps trying to force-feed the rest of the party his ways. Take every single one of Miko's defects, power them up a thousandfold, and you have this guy.

Stupid Evil is generally the definition of those Evil characters who keep doing nefarious deeds for no reason at all than asserting their evilness, a lot of times even when it'd actively hurt them. Given they mostly appear in evil campaigns, the smarter evil types usually kill them while they sleep within three sessions, so they're less of a problem.

Stupid Good is the kinda guy who keeps refusing to hurt "defenseless" or "unarmed" foes, even when said foes have repeteadly showed the ability to come back from their hurt states and try to kill the PCs again (and of course they'll stop the party from doing it too).

Mr.Bookworm
2007-11-09, 05:46 PM
You can pretty much replace any half of any of the alignments with the word "Stupid", and somebody's done it.

Letsee:

Lawful Good: Lawful Stupid, Stupid Good
Neutral Good: Neutral Stupid, Stupid Good
Chaotic Good: Chaotic Stupid, Stupid Good
Lawful Neutral: Lawful Stupid, Stupid Neutral
Neutral: Stupid
Chaotic Neutral: Chaotic Stupid, Stupid Neutral
Lawful Evil: Lawful Stupid, Stupid Evil
Neutral Evil: Neutral Stupid, Stupid Evil
Chaotic Evil: Chaotic Stupid, Stupid Evil
True Neutral: True Stupid

But generally, those are called "stupid" because so many people play them as mindless stereotypes.

Oeryn
2007-11-09, 05:59 PM
But generally, those are called "stupid" because so many people play them as mindless stereotypes.

Yeah, that's pretty much my whole argument against alignment in general.

SurlySeraph
2007-11-09, 06:05 PM
Ayup. Lawful Stupid is the 3rd-level paladin who single-handedly charge the Ancient Red Dragon just because it's evil.

Chaotic Stupid is the guy juggling leeks during combat.

Stupid Evil is the guy who eats puppies in public, burns things just for being flammable, and tries to bite his captors after they've tied him up.

Stupid Good is the "Awww, the Entropic Reaper's not so bad! He probably just didn't get enough hugs as a child." guy

Stupid Neutral is the random-shuffling-of-good-and-evil-actions-for-balance guy.

Nowhere Girl
2007-11-09, 06:14 PM
Stupid Good is the kinda guy who keeps refusing to hurt "defenseless" or "unarmed" foes, even when said foes have repeteadly showed the ability to come back from their hurt states and try to kill the PCs again (and of course they'll stop the party from doing it too).

Interestingly enough, Batman (not the wizard) is an excellent example of this.

Dervag
2007-11-09, 06:19 PM
True Neutral: True Stupid

But generally, those are called "stupid" because so many people play them as mindless stereotypes.I would say that "Stupid Neutral" and "True Stupid" are different alignments. "Stupid Neutral" is the neutrality of someone who sees a neutral alignment as a reason to perform acts of great good and evil while somehow precisely balancing those acts for some sort of bizarre, arbitrary reason such as the 'balance of nature.'

"True Stupid" is the neutral alignment of nonintelligent beings such as animals.

Quietus
2007-11-09, 08:35 PM
Interestingly enough, Batman (not the wizard) is an excellent example of this.

And by the same token, the "Batman wizard" touted by these forums is an excellent example of Lawful Stupid, in that his actions are always the same, no matter what the target is, and he's so anal-retentive that he's no fun to game for. He's the Lawful Stupid guy who'll ALWAYS spend eighteen hours a day in his Mordenkainen's Magnificent Mansion, regardless of what his party wants, because anything less is "unintelligent".

Mr.Bookworm
2007-11-09, 10:10 PM
I would say that "Stupid Neutral" and "True Stupid" are different alignments. "Stupid Neutral" is the neutrality of someone who sees a neutral alignment as a reason to perform acts of great good and evil while somehow precisely balancing those acts for some sort of bizarre, arbitrary reason such as the 'balance of nature.'

"True Stupid" is the neutral alignment of nonintelligent beings such as animals.

The "True Stupid" part was pretty much a joke.