PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Advice for a grandmother bheur hag fight.

Mai
2021-03-16, 02:35 PM
My party is level 13, and I am looking to set up a hag fight. I know hags are usually something they could beat easily, but I am setting up something scaled up, perhaps involving a coven. I plan to place this in the plane of air, as this is a game with some focus on adventures in various planes. I could use some good suggestions for solid threatening minions for this level, and perhaps some fun weird magic effects that would make fighting in this hags lair very threatening and foreboding. Any interesting tactics and such would also be helpful. As this is a grandmother hag, It's had probably dozens of thousands of years at least to gather various things, and she has been known to play with curses like lycanthopy. (Throwing winter werewolves at the party before.) So some strange monsters are not off the table.

Other notes:

She uses a dragon skull for a flying vehicle, of which type, I have not decided, though the players have seen it from a great distance. She has a tendency to transform people into various animals, often, just for fun, using a curse vaguely like the hocus pokus movie's immortal transformation thing. One person who just joined the game decided to be introduced as a previous victim turned into a pigeon. (as an introduction and excuse for being in the plane of air.

My players found a way to teleport into her lair, and as I had not expected the fight so soon, I had to end the session after the majority of the group went with that option. Hence why I asked for some advice, as apparently I need the fight ready by next tuesday. (The game just ended.)

Wizard_Lizard
2021-03-16, 02:46 PM
Well giving the hag some magic items could be cool, make sure that you'd be okay with the players picking them up afterwards though!
Also for whacky magic effectsm Tasha's has some nice tables!

Kurt Kurageous
2021-03-16, 02:54 PM
The thing with hags is that expanded spell list. But the restrictions (30') mean they gotta stay close, which means at least one has to stay hidden.

Your hags will have defenses like guards and wards, relations with allied monsters nearby, etc.

I like the idea of a flesh golem which gains HP from lightning damage.

Mai
2021-03-16, 02:59 PM
Thanks, that was helpful. Of note... I could make this a baba yaga based encounter. The mortar and pestle is fairly interesting as an artifact, and that could be used in an interesting encounter. Given this is intended to be a challenging level 13-14 encounter, that might work.

What sorts of wards and such? And what hag spells? I don't see a hag spell list? beyond covens in volos.

Unoriginal
2021-03-16, 04:23 PM
Since she's a very old hag, if the PCs just appears in her lair I would have her flee on her vehicle, ASAP. Maybe have her open a tear between her lair and the Feywild using big iron shears.

And as the PCs pursue her she calls on any and all feys living around and have them take care of the intruders.

I'd make the PCs face a true pandemonium of Feywild denizens. Redcaps, Formorians, Boggles, Meenlocks, etc, even beings like Treants or Mephits that fit the theme. Heck, I'd have them come in several waves.

If she escapes and the PCs survive, well, the PCs will at least have the satisfaction of destroying her lair and looting/destroying most of her items of powers.

Dalinar
2021-03-16, 05:16 PM
Some ideas, inspired by the DMG's spiel on the Plane of Air:

1. Her lair may not be a fully enclosed space. There might be clouds that obscure vision or even miniature thunderstorms inside her lair. Floating rocks, etc.

2. What is the hag's relationship with other denizens of the planes? If they don't hate her, maybe the PCs barge in while she has a visitor and have to contend with both.

3. Perhaps she manipulates gravity inside her lair. One PC might fight her from the floor while she stands on the south wall and another PC is stuck to the north wall.

4. If she has a lot of enemies, she likely has an escape route planned out, maybe even a map of the Labyrinth Winds that the players will have to chase her through.

Mai
2021-03-16, 09:52 PM
Thank you Dalinar. Those ideas are great. Granted I will need to figure out what the labyrinth winds are.

Dalinar
2021-03-17, 11:27 AM
Thank you Dalinar. Those ideas are great. Granted I will need to figure out what the labyrinth winds are.

If you mean in general, I'll quote the DMG at you:

Most of the Plane of Air is a complex web of air streams, currents, and winds called the Labyrinth Winds. These range from stiff breezes to howling gales that can rip a creature apart. Even the most skilled flying creatures must navigate these currents carefully, flying with the winds, not against them.

Basically, I think of them like the water current puzzles in various video games, like platformers and RPGs. Only they takes up most of the entire Plane of Air. (I'd assume they're three-dimensional, too, but it might be too hard to design a 3D maze that can be presented to your players in a way that makes sense.)

So your hag might, on realizing she's fighting a losing battle, take off into this maze of air currents, leading your PCs to try to chase her down through them. It's possible they'll catch up to her, or they'll get blown off course (and have to finish their battle later). Maybe they'll have to choose between going after her and flying over to a treasure they've noticed, maybe a passing guard from a nearby cloud city gets involved (there's at least one canonical Plane of Air city mentioned on the same DMG page, called Aaqa, that might be nearby), etc. etc.

Kurt Kurageous
2021-03-17, 11:32 AM
What sorts of wards and such? And what hag spells? I don't see a hag spell list? beyond covens in volos.

See sidebar in monster manual section on hags.

Unoriginal
2021-03-18, 01:11 PM
If the Hag's an expert at turning people into creatures, maybe she could turn herself into a particularly fearsome one?

Like a Roc.

Temperjoke
2021-03-18, 01:20 PM
Don't forget that as a grandmother, she likely has a lot of favors to call on, not to mention indentured beings forced to help her. She might even be in charge of an expanded sort of coven, sort of a three by three idea. You can give her any spell that you want, in the form of trinkets that act out the spells. I mean, if her life is on the line she's going to do whatever it takes to survive, and she's going to have defenses in place to ensure that it's not a fair fight. Grandmothers are like the highest of the hags, so she's likely more along the lines of an Archfey, so think way more powerful than a regular hag.

Kurt Kurageous
2021-03-18, 01:46 PM
Don't forget that as a grandmother, she likely has a lot of favors to call on, not to mention indentured beings forced to help her. She might even be in charge of an expanded sort of coven, sort of a three by three idea. You can give her any spell that you want, in the form of trinkets that act out the spells. I mean, if her life is on the line she's going to do whatever it takes to survive, and she's going to have defenses in place to ensure that it's not a fair fight. Grandmothers are like the highest of the hags, so she's likely more along the lines of an Archfey, so think way more powerful than a regular hag.

Your post made me think of something else a hag grandmother has going on...politics. She cannot afford to look weak or be weakened seriously, because her daughters all want to be her. All the more reason why she doesn't directly do the dirty work and uses minions. Like a drow head of house, she's willing to fight to the last drop of everyone else's blood. I'm just not sure hag blood will form drops.

Unoriginal
2021-03-18, 02:47 PM
Your post made me think of something else a hag grandmother has going on...politics. She cannot afford to look weak or be weakened seriously, because her daughters all want to be her. All the more reason why she doesn't directly do the dirty work and uses minions. Like a drow head of house, she's willing to fight to the last drop of everyone else's blood. I'm just not sure hag blood will form drops.

Now I'm imagining a Hag letting blood drops fall in the snow and 20 or so clones of her sprouts from them.

Temperjoke
2021-03-18, 03:18 PM
Now I'm imagining a Hag letting blood drops fall in the snow and 20 or so clones of her sprouts from them.

I mean, it's within the realm of possibility. Like a weaker version of the Simulacrum spell, creates multiple weaker copies instead of a regular one.

On a further note, if she's residing in the Plane of Air, she could easily have a genie or two under her control. If they had Wish capability, then anything could be on the table. Even if her arrangement with them only gives her one casting of Wish in exchange for their freedom, she'd use it to save her life.

Lupine
2021-03-19, 01:30 AM
Throwing winter werewolves at the party before.

You could give her an item that LITERALLY throws winter wolves at them.

As a lair effect, have winds that buffet the players, moving them around, and making ranged attacks nearly impossible.

Also, here’s my list of questionably balanced strange magics. Part two was specifically concocted for a bheur hag.

Part 1
Spiked Apple:
At first glance, it appears just to be an apple with toothpicks sticking out of it. When thrown (20/60), the apple bursts out the spikes in all directions. There are 2d20+8 spikes, and each one does 1d4 damage on a hit. All creatures within 30 ft roll a d20. The spikes go from the lowest roller clockwise around the room until all spikes have been flung. After flinging the spikes like that, the apple catches fire, and falls to the ground. Spike do not target the person who threw the spikes. The user also gains health equal to the damage done.
Coiled Wood:
The wood of this stick is coiled around itself like a snake. When the runes on its back are stroked, it turns into a Giant Constrictor Snake (pg. 324 MM). The snake is friendly with whoever transforms it. The snake acts on the summoner’s turn, and obeys verbal commands from the summoner.
Howling Bird:
When the head of this bird is twisted off, it releases a horrible shriek, like that of a banshee’s, and all creatures that can hear it must make a DC 15 Wisdom saving throw or be frightened for 1 hour
Undead Knuckles:
When rolled on the ground, these knuckles transform into an Ogre Zombie
Rotten Teeth:
When bitten, the user takes the green dragon wyrmling’s breath weapon action
Flame Disk *: (x3)
These stone disks are 3in wide, with a 2in ring missing in the center. This missing section is filled with fire. Suspended in the center of that is a 1in cylinder of stone. When held by the center and thrown, the outer shell flings off, fire flares out. It forms a 5ft cylinder that ignites all flammable objects not worn or carried, and deals 4d6 fire damage to any creature that comes in contact with it. The cylinder stays in place for 5 minutes. Goes out 10 ft, invariably.
Springbomb:
When thrown against a wall, this orb bounces off walls for three turns or until it hits a creature. In either case, all creatures within 30ft of it must succeed on a DC 25 dexterity save or be knocked prone. A creature hit by the orb also takes 1d6 force damage, automatically fails the save, and is thrown 10 ft from the springbomb.
Ground Orb:
This sphere is encased in ectoplasm. Using the item require that the ectoplasm be peeled off, and the orb thrown on the ground. Where this orb lands, a circle is drawn on the ground, the ground in the circle falls away, and a 10ft wide, 100ft deep cylinder forms in the ground, with spikes at the bottom (see pit trap in DMG for damage). Creatures in the circle at the time may make a DC 15 Dexterity check to grab hold of the edge. On a failed save they take damage as normal.
After 1d4 turns, the circle begins to fill in at 10 ft per turn, lifting any non-terrain objects safely out.

Part 2: strange magic list that I actually used for a bheur hag.

Icecast Teardrop:
The Icecast Teardrop is a small teardrop shaped piece of ice, and is inscribed with many blood runes. When smashed on the ground, the Teardrop splinters into 10 pieces. Those ten pieces target all creatures within 50ft equally. Any creature within range must make a DC 20 dexterity save, or take 1d8 of cold damage, and be slowed 10 feet while the icicle is still in the body. The area around the wound immediately begins to freeze. Every turn afterwards the creature’s speed slows by 5. Every turn, the frozen area spreads. After 5 turns, creatures have disadvantage on dexterity checks, strength checks, and attack rolls. After another 5 turns, the creature is paralyzed. If 1 hour passes, and the creature is still paralyzed, it dies. A creature can take an action to remove the ice splinters from its body, whereupon the the frost recedes to the puncture point, which begins to bleed. A paralyzed creature that has its icicle removed returns to normal, but gains a level of exhaustion. A creature that is immune to cold damage automatically succeeds the check.
Frozen Toad:
When thawed in boiling water, a large cloud of silvery cold mist flows out of it which lasts for 1 minute, and has a radius of 40 ft. Anything inside the mist is heavily obscured. Any creature that starts, moves through it during, or ends its turn inside the mist must succeed on a DC 20 constitution check or 2d8 cold damage, and be slowed 10 feet of speed until they have moved 60 feet. Any creature with immunity to cold automatically succeeds on the check.
Heart of Frozen blood*(x2):
A large chunk of blood that has been frozen, and carved to look like a heart. It has also has been engraved with runes. By some cursed magic, the heart now beats. When held aloft and crushed, the user is covered in a form fitting 5ft of magical ice. While encased like this, the user the user is paralyzed, but gains 3d6 health per turn, until they are at maximum health, whereupon, the ice melts away instantaneously at the end of their next turn. The ice has 40hp. Any creatures caught in the ice only partially are restrained and must make a DC 20 strength check to break free.
Mummified Dragon Claw:
When snapped in half, the wrappings of this claw fly to a creature within 30ft and is wrapped tightly over their entire body. A creature wrapped this way may make a DC 20 strength check at the end of each of its turns to break free, and is restrained until it does so. Every turn spent wrapped up this way ages the creature 1 year.
Black Pyramid:
This Pyramid has a little stick on the top. When that stick is broken off, and the pyramid is dropped on the floor, it melts out equally in all directions and creates an effect similar to the Grease spell.
Ice bulb:
This bulb is an entirely self contained sphere of water, with an ice crust. In the center is a small rune lined sphere. When the ice is broken, the sphere pulls every creature within 100 feet of it 10 feet closer to it on initiative count 15 (losing ties). The effect ends if the sphere is covered in water again, which forms another ice crust. After 20 turns, the sphere explodes, dealing 2d10 of piercing damage to any creature within a 40 ft radius plus an additional 2d4 bludgeoning damage to any creature within 10 feet of the sphere. Frostlock’s <the hag’s name> sphere has used 1d10-1 turns. Covering the sphere does not reset the counter.
Clockwork Soldier*: (x3)
These soldiers are 3 inches tall when not activated, but grow to 7 feet tall upon activation. When turned on as an action, these soldiers act as bodyguards to whomever activated them. They have AC 15, 20HP, and a damage threshold of 6. After 10 turns, they must be re-activated. These soldiers do nothing but try to block damage. Any attack against what they are guarding has disadvantages, and the soldiers act as 3 quarters cover. If they go down to 0HP, the soldier dissolves into a fine gold mist. Soldiers who are reactivated do so with full HP.
Tiny Frozen Skeleton*:
When crushed on the ground, a skeleton of ice is summoned. It is completely normal for a skeleton, except for vulnerability to fire. If the skeleton survives 5 turns, it explodes dealing 1d8 cold damage to all creatures within 30ft of it.
Ice Splinter:
When thrown, the splinter of ice deals 3d8 cold damage to a creature within 120ft.

Apologies for the terrible, terrible grammar. These were typed by me four-ish years ago, as I was a novice DM, was trying to create... well, strange mechanics. Also explains some of the strange balance concerns.

Unoriginal
2021-03-19, 06:32 AM
An hag flying in the Plane of Air makes me think of the "Wizard of Oz".

Maybe give her a Legendary or Lair action that let her control the winds to throw whole buildings at the PCs?

MrStabby
2021-03-19, 10:41 AM
Or put the whole fight inside a tornado - every round a strength check (Hag spell save DC) or be pulled into the center by 20ft and take 3d6 damage and be knocked prone - it isn't much damage at 13th level but it adds a huge element of risk to going unconscious (auto fail a strenght save, auto fail a death save and be pulled away from your allies); area counts as difficult terrain.

Tie this in with some synergistic abilities and you could have a really tough encounter - polymorph abilities to turn into a high strength creature/turn others into low strength creatures, hex effects for disadvantage on the strength check, area of effect spells (synaptic static could be mean) for when the party is all grouped in the centre of the whirlwind having failed strength checks.

Then some legendary actions - I usually use a rule of one offensive, one defensive, one mobility.

So for defensive I would go for greater invisability till the end of their next turn (also somewhat doubles an an offensive ability) and it requires 2 actions recharging on a 5 or 6.

For mobility - teleport up to 30ft

For offense, summon two smoke mephits (with a maximum of 6 being controlled at one time)

The theme would be that the Hag is only part of the encounter - the players need to overcome the environment and keep the mephits somewhat in check whilst pinning down and killing the hag.

The hag is playing defensively as time is on her side. The tornado effect will be hurting the party more than her and each turn she can survive and evade the party the more damage by attrition they take. A couple of nasty high level spells (like the synaptic static) just keep the players on edge as they know that if they let their guard down then there is an opportunity for them to take huge damage.

My suggested spell list would be:
Level 1
Ice Knife, thunderwave, absorb elements, hex

Level 2
Darkness (evil in this setup), enhance ability (pre-cast for strength), Phantansmal force

Level 3
Summon fey, lighning bolt, dispel magic

Level 4
Polymorph, Dimension door, Ice storm

Level 5
Synaptic static, cone of cold

Bloodcloud
2021-03-19, 11:18 AM
I had some hags as intermediate BBEG in my game, some suggestion:
Troll modification brew. The Dire troll from Volo is quite high level.

Frogemoth is another good high level hag-ish monster.

A big cauldron producing toxic fumes she can control to obscure vision and deal poison damage would be a good lair action and thematic on the plane of air.
have a bag of devouring on one of the early minions. Making the party doubt all loot they find is pretty great and they'll remeber for a long time if they lose a party member to it...

Mai
2021-03-23, 11:59 AM
Thanks for all the help. Any idea for how many HP it should have? Or else stats?

Sadly I can't find any advice for that, nor can I find stats for advanced hags.

Unoriginal
2021-03-23, 03:29 PM
Thanks for all the help. Any idea for how many HP it should have? Or else stats?

How strong do you want the Hag to be?

MrStabby
2021-03-23, 04:05 PM

Well... it depends.

How do you want the fight to go? What other defensive abilities are you giving the Hag? What kind of balance adjustment between characters are you looking for?

So for a climactic fight you probably want (as a minimum) something about 3 CR levels above the party if it is a single monster (so this is still problematic and you all ways need to be careful on a 1 vs party fight, but I am not suggesting this as an answer, but rather to benchmark some numbers to home in on the right level).

Adult Green dragon has 207 HP, AC and some decent if unremarkable defensive abilities (fly, great passive perception, perception)

A Marilith has 189 HP, AC 18 (but can parry one melee attack per round at AC 23) and has a load of resistances/immunities

A death knight (CR 17) has AC 20 and 180 HP and really good saves/magic resistance

A planetar has 200HP, AC 19, magic resistance, flying...

So all in all you are looking at about 190 HP, AC 19ish flying, some decent offensive and utility abilities... if you are going for the middle of the road.