PDA

View Full Version : 5e Naiads in Theros and the Forgotten Realms & MtG influencing FR?

Gyor
2021-03-16, 07:51 PM
I now have both Mythic Odysseys of Theros and Candlekeep Mysteries.

So far its a pretty good anthology. Its fun to read.

One thing I noticed that suprised me, the Naiad stats in the book are exactly the same as in Theros, making this the first Therosan creature to appear in a Forgotten Realms book.

To me fair Naiads had a minor reference in a FR book in 1996, they were in a place called the Sisters, but no stats to my knowledge.

But the thing about the Naiads stats is Theros' Nymphs were influenced by MtG and its colour pie, which is why Therosan Oreads have fire powers instead of Earth powers, despite being Mountain Nymphs (in MtG Oreads are Red Mana creatures).

Therosan Naiads in addition to the not surprising illusion magic (which is not surprising for fey in general, but in this case is a manifestation of their being blue mana creatures in MtG), but can cast fly, which is strange for a Water Fey/Nymph in D&D, but which makes perfect sense in the context of Theros and MtG blue creatures. The blue colour pie inspiration is still very vivid in the Naiad, even in its Forgotten Realms appearance.

So this was an introduction of Therosan Nymphs to the Forgotten Realms and I'm wondering if other MtG influences will find their way into the Forgotten Realms with the upcoming MtG set.

The fact that MtG Naiads can fly is inspired by this card.

https://gatherer.wizards.com/pages/card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=373719