PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Can a Nilshai cast 2 spells per round?

Max Caysey
2021-03-16, 08:01 PM
While I understand that any DM can do whatever he/she wants, I prefer little to no DM fiat. So, as on the tin, can a Nilshai according to RAW, cast two spells per round in 3.5?

The reason for my confusion is that its a partial action that gives it a second spell in a round, and AFAIK partial actions are no more... I haven't been able to find any errata or updated to the creature, that would change it to either a swift or standard action.

My personal ruling would be that it indeed cannot cast two spells, but I wanted to know what the Forum Denominator thought!?

Cheers!

Railak
2021-03-16, 09:03 PM
Depends on a few things, a quickened spell allows for 2 castings a turn. As well as any way of getting a second standard action, which there are ways, can allow a second spell in a turn.

Kelb_Panthera
2021-03-16, 09:10 PM
Partial actions weren't so much scrapped as simply not named such anymore. A "partial action" in 3.0 is equivalent to "a standard or move action" in 3.5, like you would get in a surprise round or when you're staggered.

Since Nilshai -have- to be converted to 3.5 and the choker shares a near identical ability, I can't think of any logical reason to rob the nilshai of its extra action nor any reason to restrict him from using it to cast a spell.

Max Caysey
2021-03-17, 05:29 AM
Partial actions weren't so much scrapped as simply not named such anymore. A "partial action" in 3.0 is equivalent to "a standard or move action" in 3.5, like you would get in a surprise round or when you're staggered.

Since Nilshai -have- to be converted to 3.5 and the choker shares a near identical ability, I can't think of any logical reason to rob the nilshai of its extra action nor any reason to restrict him from using it to cast a spell.

Ok, i interpreted its celerity ability to basically mean 3.0 haste... which also gave the ability to cast an extra spell via partial action. Since that was removed I didn’t think a Nilshai could do that either...