PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Magic Item: Commune Stone

Saelethil
2021-03-16, 11:43 PM
The Commune Stone is a simple looking disk of stone, about 2" in diameter and 1/2" thick. To prevent their acolytes from filling their minds with a continual slew of questions and requests, they have blocked most forms of communication. The simplest way to get into contact with them is to cast the spell "Commune" this next best option is to have one of these stones bestowed upon you. Once per day, you can attempt to use the stone to cast Commune to contact one member of The Surviving Family. Roll a d20, if you roll equal to or less than your level the spell is successfully cast. If you roll higher than your character level nothing happens and you cannot attempt to contact them until the next dawn.

Background: In my homebrew world there are no "gods." There are a handful of powerful magic user from a bygone era know as The Surviving Family and my players have come into contact with their leader. As such, there is no cleric in the party but I want my players to have the option of communicating with them to a very limited capacity.

What rarity would you give this Item. I don't really want to change anything about but I haven't decided weather or not it should be attunement. I believe that it fits thematically but it's also kind of a bummer to take up an attunement slot for what it gives.