PDA

View Full Version : Feat for a warlock

Trandir
2021-03-17, 11:19 AM
Here is the context

I got a 3rd level warlock with 16 Int (small houserule to play a bookworm warlock) that soon will get to 4th level.

The DM has a houserule that provides both a feat and the ability score increase when a PC gets their first ASI. Instead of choosing you get both.

So my doubt is: do I take a half feat at 4th level and one at 8th to max Int
Or
Do I take a full feat and max Int with the 8th level ASI?

Sidenotes: The campaign ends at 8th level. The warlock has a Dao Genie patron and pact of the tome. All the eldritch invocations that allows you to spend a warlock spell slot to cast a spell off list once per day instead allow the warlock to cast them once per long rest without expending a spell slot (so eldritch adept to grab more of those could be interesting).

Edit: more info
The PC's race is Vhuman with the alert feat.
His ability scores in order are: 9, 16, 14, 16, 10, 10

Cikomyr2
2021-03-17, 11:25 AM
Feytouched or Shadowtouched are good picks. Some spells aren't designed to be cast out of short rest, like Gift of Alacrity.

Otherwise, I know I enjoy a loooot Telekinetic. It gives me a constant use of your bonus action, and can get allies automatically out of grappled.

Trandir
2021-03-18, 04:25 AM
Feytouched or Shadowtouched are good picks. Some spells aren't designed to be cast out of short rest, like Gift of Alacrity.

Otherwise, I know I enjoy a loooot Telekinetic. It gives me a constant use of your bonus action, and can get allies automatically out of grappled.

They are. But I kind of need to have an encounter with a feywild or shadowfell entity. And my PC had a pretty mundane life prior to the pact.

Telekinetic is good.
So you say to go the half feat route instead of the feat one?

diplomancer
2021-03-18, 05:07 AM
What is your race? And do you have any other odd scores?

If you have an odd constitution, for instance, both Resilient (con) and Crusher (since you are a Dao warlock, you deal bludgeoning damage with your Eldritch Blasts) are good choices.

If you are an Elf or Half-Elf, getting Elven Accuracy now and either Telekinetic or Fey-Touched (if you've HAD some fey contact by then) could be decent choices. Observant too, if you have not had some fey contact but has already got by then a regular use of bonus actions. Don't neglect Skill Expert either.

As to full feats- if you were Cha based I'd suggest Inspiring Leader; as it is, Warcaster, Lucky and Alert are always useful, as is Medium Armored (technically a half-feat, but you probably won't get much out of raising your Dex, unless it's exactly 13 right now-in which case, grab it!). With your house rules, Eldritch Adept is also quite a good choice.

Trandir
2021-03-18, 06:26 AM
What is your race? And do you have any other odd scores?

If you have an odd constitution, for instance, both Resilient (con) and Crusher (since you are a Dao warlock, you deal bludgeoning damage with your Eldritch Blasts) are good choices.

If you are an Elf or Half-Elf, getting Elven Accuracy now and either Telekinetic or Fey-Touched (if you've HAD some fey contact by then) could be decent choices. Observant too, if you have not had some fey contact but has already got by then a regular use of bonus actions. Don't neglect Skill Expert either.

As to full feats- if you were Cha based I'd suggest Inspiring Leader; as it is, Warcaster, Lucky and Alert are always useful, as is Medium Armored (technically a half-feat, but you probably won't get much out of raising your Dex, unless it's exactly 13 right now-in which case, grab it!). With your house rules, Eldritch Adept is also quite a good choice.

Vhuman with the alert feat.

In order: 9, 16, 14, 16, 10, 10

And thanks for the advice.