PDA

View Full Version : Mephit cursed treasure hunt

CascadeDiver
2021-03-17, 02:07 PM
I'm working on a campaign concept for D&D 5e level 1, a "cursed" treasure hunt in the desert. Though the curse is only for those currently seeking the treasure, not the treasure itself. The concept with I'm really happy with and will also involve some comic relief. Mephits will be summoned during inopportune moments along their journey, not all the time though because it would lose its sense of fun. For example, drop the torch and it goes out, smoke Mephit appears. Traveling along a river bank and trip in the mud, mud Mephit appears. Put out the campfire with water, steam Mephit. Being in the desert will have dust mephits of course.

The comic relief part I would sometimes have the mephits act like a bit of a joke. Think Bartok the Bat from the movie Anastasia. I can play on the different personality traits that they have. Even create some squabbling between themselves for fun in mid battle, that could have some potential to throw the party off track.

My question to you all is some kooky mishaps that would summon a Mephit. Though mishaps could require rolling badly and I cannot always count on that. So some other environmental scenarios that could bring them.

Drmccabe
2021-03-19, 07:48 PM
Ice - Wouldn't find it naturally in the desert
Steam - Not a desert thing
Smoke - Could be in a desert but its really only going to be around fires, so you're looking at convenient natural fires, convenient NPC's causing havoc, light sources in the night, cooking
Mud - Could be present but not likely in the desert. Most ground in canyon areas are hard and dry with limited water, sandy deserts are obviously not prone to mud.
Magma - More of a lava vent, mountainous area, but you could include a cartoony puzzle with lava and stones to jump on.
Dust - Lots and lots and lots of dust all over the place. Never ending dust.

Conclusion. You could use the Mephits that are more likely to appear in the desert or put a dungeon with puzzles including each of these elements for your treasure hunt. Even an outdoor environment, magically altered, as your dungeon would do well.

CascadeDiver
2021-04-25, 12:51 PM
Conclusion. You could use the Mephits that are more likely to appear in the desert or put a dungeon with puzzles including each of these elements for your treasure hunt. Even an outdoor environment, magically altered, as your dungeon would do well.

Thanks, I think I'll be leaning on puzzles. Adding elements together which will in turn summon the mephits :)