PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Which Ranger spells?

msfnc
2021-03-17, 06:15 PM
Half-elf, Fey Wanderer ranger. Just hit level 4. High Wisdom build, kind of a pseudo-caster with Druidic Warrior style (Guidance and Druidcraft). I took Fey Touched feat at 4, for the "extra" spell slots. I know learning Misty Step with the feat is redundant (Fey Wanderer gets it at level 5), but the once/day free use feels worth it to me. For the other spell I took Hunter's Mark, which frees up a known spell for me. I have Absorb Elements and Animal Friendship, what's the third 1st level spell? Cure Wounds? Ensnaring Strike? Entangle? Analysis paralysis...

Reevh
2021-03-17, 06:33 PM
Half-elf, Fey Wanderer ranger. Just hit level 4. High Wisdom build, kind of a pseudo-caster with Druidic Warrior style (Guidance and Druidcraft). I took Fey Touched feat at 4, for the "extra" spell slots. I know learning Misty Step with the feat is redundant (Fey Wanderer gets it at level 5), but the once/day free use feels worth it to me. For the other spell I took Hunter's Mark, which frees up a known spell for me. I have Absorb Elements and Animal Friendship, what's the third 1st level spell? Cure Wounds? Ensnaring Strike? Entangle? Analysis paralysis...

I think Cure Wounds is never a bad call. You’ll never be a primary healer as a Ranger, but it’s always good to be able to pick your friends up off the ground.

That said, Entangle on low strength grouped enemies can single handedly solve fights. It’s an incredibly good level 1 spell well worth taking.

Hannibal78
2021-03-18, 01:43 AM
Zephyr Strike for fight, if you are using bows, for sure.

Spike grow can be the same like entangle and "dont move or you die. Slowly."

For heal, if you don't mind to spend a lvl 2 spell slot for a heal, Healing Spirit. No action required, 2 to 6 times. And the spell to cast only a bonus action.

Pass without trace, if you are sneaking or infiltrate.

Situational, but Enhance Ability can be extremely usefull.

Favored Foe, Deft Explorer and Primal Awareness if its available for you, use it. Primal Awareness mean extra spells, what you can cast once without using a spell slot.

Favored Foe mean free Hunters Mark.

kaervaak
2021-03-18, 12:42 PM
I'd take goodberry over cure wounds. You can precast goodberry just before a long rest using any left over spell slots to have lots of available healing for the next day. Maybe check with your DM to see if you can feed it to an unconscious teammate to restore them to 1 hp.

ImproperJustice
2021-03-19, 12:56 AM
Hmmmmmm....

I’d go entangle or Fog Cloud.

Both are good control.

And I have a strange love for the versatility of fog cloud.