PDA

View Full Version : Non-Magical Crit Fishing Swordsman (PF1E)

Nosta
2021-03-17, 07:12 PM
What is a good class / Archetype for someone who wishes to play a High Damge output swordsman. I'd prefer to be Strength Base and To Two Hand Katana.

I'm looking to play a seasoned war Vet around 50 years Old , who is a high caliber swordsmen.

The level would be around level 8

I'm just wondering what class and what Archetype would work best. I'm looking for high Crit Damge I would also like him to have a couple of social skill just not bluff.

Any idea what class u should play ?

Drelua
2021-03-17, 10:20 PM
I might just go with a fighter, maybe weapon master if you want to really focus on the katana. There's a lot of really cool options that interact with weapon and armor training in the weapon master's handbook (not really connected with the archetype, just happens to share a name) and armor master's handbook. Assuming you don't have/want to buy the books, you can find those options here, scroll down for the rest. (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/Fighter/#Advanced_Armor_Training) Ironically these options may not mesh well with the weapon master's handbook, actually. I like the options that let you use your BAB as ranks in a skill, so even with 2 + INT actual skill points you can end up with quite a few effectively trained skills at higher levels, but there's a lot of good options there. There's also some good feats here (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/weapon-mastery-feats/). I particularly like Cut from the Air -> Smash from the air, though you'll be a level too low to qualify for the second.

I had a monk that got weapon training from the Sohei archetype, used a nodachi, got both feats. One time he was on a wall with a cannon golem on one side, a troll or something on the other side with one hand chopped off and replaced with a cannon on the other side, and a gunslinger right in front of them. He cut down a cannonball from each side and 4 shots from the gunslinger in one turn, and no one even bothered trying shoot him the rest of the fight. :smallcool: I got really lucky on the rolls though or that probably would have hurt. Didn't roll below a 15.

If you want to be slightly cheesy, you could use a nodachi and take the feat shield brace. Nodachis are in the polearm weapon group, so the feat would let you use a nodachi in one hand with a shield.

For feats apart from that, Power Attack's always good, Furious Focus is pretty good, and you'll want a decent dex and combat reflexes if you go for Cut from the Air.

Firebug
2021-03-17, 10:49 PM
Slayer maybe? Studied Target kinda mimics iaijutsu from other editions, and Slayer can pick up stuff from Ranger and Rogue, specifically Weapon Styles, Assassinate and sneak attack talents.

Kurald Galain
2021-03-18, 03:03 AM
Yes, that definitely sounds like a fighter. There are archetypes that can give you swappable feats, or a mutagen (and wings!), or extra skill points.

I like feats like Step Up and Disruptive, to harry casters with. Fighters are also highly effective at landing combat maneuvers, so either the Dirty Fighting feat or simply a reach weapon plays well with that.

StSword
2021-03-18, 05:04 PM
Is third party material on the table, or first party only?

Because I think a Swordsman of the Saint School from the Alternate Paths Martials 3 from Little Red Goblin Games sounds exactly like what you're asking for.

But if only first party stuff is available, than never mind.

Good luck either way.

Starbuck_II
2021-03-18, 06:00 PM
What is a good class / Archetype for someone who wishes to play a High Damge output swordsman. I'd prefer to be Strength Base and To Two Hand Katana.

I'm looking to play a seasoned war Vet around 50 years Old , who is a high caliber swordsmen.

I'm just wondering what class and what Archetype would work best. I'm looking for high Crit Damge I would also like him to have a couple of social skill just not bluff.

If third party allowed, Spheres of Might Constript or Sentinel might be useful.
Spheres that fit Duelist (Draw Cut, Ia Slash, Open Vein, Hurricane Strike, etc) or Berserker (Advancing Carnage, Bloody Counter)

1st party only?
Slayer works.

Psyren
2021-03-18, 06:05 PM

By "non-magical" do you only mean no spellcasting, or are other spell-like, supernatural, or psychic/psionic abilities disallowed too?

Are third-party sources allowed, or does it have to be Paizo 1st-party?